Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,589,995 times

Advertisements

The question came to my mind during a conversation here on board. We were discussing if Atheism will ever be a majority, or even complettely wipe out religion from this planet. I mentioned that France may be close to a possible model , but I wonder what the ramifications of a totally Atheist society and state would be?

Would there be advantages and disadvantages, and what would those be? To even think of a society without religion , would be like a whole new kind of civilization for man, because religion has always been a major factor with humans, excluding primordal man. Is it even a valid real possibility, or is it just hopeful speculation?

For the world to be totally Atheist, the transformation required would indeed be the most dramatic historical change humanity has ever made. Almost cataclismic and stupendous, it would be nothing short of incredible! Atheism would have to do far more than what religion did , to complettely incert itself into the consciousness of all of humanity.

It surely would have to then remove religion totally from human consciousness, something I think is impossible; and yet, just to examine the senerio for what its worth, no one could deny that religion must first be removed from all peoples. The belief system of humanity as a whole, would have to be changed and belief in God or gods must be permenently excised.

Thats a very tall order ( one would then, at the least, should compliment religion for doing this already). I wonder if Atheism then would follow any example, conversely, that religion has already laied? You know, copy at least some of how religion did this incredible thing; the domination of human thought. What role would science then take on? A different role than it has now? Or would science even coperate? Would Atheism have its own inquisitions? And what would the risk factors be?

What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

322 posts, read 316,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The question came to my mind during a conversation here on board. We were discussing if Atheism will ever be a majority, or even complettely wipe out religion from this planet. I mentioned that France may be close to a possible model , but I wonder what the ramifications of a totally Atheist society and state would be?

Would there be advantages and disadvantages, and what would those be? To even think of a society without religion , would be like a whole new kind of civilization for man, because religion has always been a major factor with humans, excluding primordal man. Is it even a valid real possibility, or is it just hopeful speculation?

For the world to be totally Atheist, the transformation required would indeed be the most dramatic historical change humanity has ever made. Almost cataclismic and stupendous, it would be nothing short of incredible! Atheism would have to do far more than what religion did , to complettely incert itself into the consciousness of all of humanity.

It surely would have to then remove religion totally from human consciousness, something I think is impossible; and yet, just to examine the senerio for what its worth, no one could deny that religion must first be removed from all peoples. The belief system of humanity as a whole, would have to be changed and belief in God or gods must be permenently excised.

Thats a very tall order ( one would then, at the least, should compliment religion for doing this already). I wonder if Atheism then would follow any example, conversely, that religion has already laied? You know, copy at least some of how religion did this incredible thing; the domination of human thought. What role would science then take on? A different role than it has now? Or would science even coperate? Would Atheism have its own inquisitions? And what would the risk factors be?

What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like?

we would find somthing else to fight about.. we wil divide eacother some other way and it will be the same as now.. just differernt topic.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,135 times
Well, at least Sunday would be free

Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Well I think in such a world, Science would certainly be elevated because most Atheist I have met are concerned about the propagation of backwards, anti-scientific thought and outdated morality based on fictitious characthers from the iron age. I think an Atheisitic age would be a purely scientific age where technology would influence nearly everything. I think the space industry would be totally revamped and have a far more greater role than it has now.

I defintely think an Atheistic age would be a space age like earth has never focused on before.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:25 PM

I think this thread demands that we examine both the positive and negative aspects of an Atheistic society. Understanding that, notice a recent survey I had read; Atheist are said to be, as compared to Theist, to be " Less" nationalistic, Predujiced, Racist, Anti-semitic, Dogmatic, Close-minded, Ethnocentric and Authoritarian. If this speaks true, surely that would be a positive for their society.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Moderator cut: orphaned response

Yet on a more serious note , lets rack up the positives and negatives, and the misconceptions about Atheism to get a more percise theory of what their society would be like. One bad rap Atheist get from time to time, is " Immorality;" Morality is in no manner exclusive to Theism. So one cannot say that an Atheist society would automatically be an immoral one.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-01-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Curiously, an Atheist society would fare better in marriage than the religious society has. Recent stats show Christians have a much higher divorce rate than Atheist do. Christian- 27%, Atheist-21%. Obviously Atheist take marriage more seriously than Christians do. Some say their suscess rate is higher because they co-habitate longer before marriage; they reject the patriachal approach and tend to have more equal relationships.

So this is another positive for an Atheistic society.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
This topic was covered on a couple of episodes of South Park. Much more intelligently I might add.

The only way to eliminate religion is to conquer death. I know you like to hold up religion as the origin of everything Mickiel. The fear of death is the shaping force behind all religions. As long as we have death we will have religion to one extent or another.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
more peaceful..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
This topic was covered on a couple of episodes of South Park. Much more intelligently I might add.

The only way to eliminate religion is to conquer death. I know you like to hold up religion as the origin of everything Mickiel. The fear of death is the shaping force behind all religions. As long as we have death we will have religion to one extent or another.

I don't " Like" holding up religion, I am not even a religious man myself; I " Like" the facts of a matter. The fact of the matter is that religion, or a search for the divine, is the orgin of many things; which I have listed. Thats just history, and I do like history.

Yet your point about eliminating religion by conquering death is interesting. Some religious people would argue that their religion actually helped them remove their fear of death. I think its obvious that many are religious because they fear death, or this imaginary hell. But who's to say that fear of death is just exclusive to Theist?

Can an Atheist society remove the fear of death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality