Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's outstanding.
Thanks

Quote:
You don't. You're already saved.
Mircea
I did read the rest of your excellent message, thanks.

To further complicate things, I'm a former Christian, saved and baptized, but I got better. According to some religious doctrine, once saved is always saved, because giving the salvation back creates a bit of a problem for Christians. To admit that a person can be "un-saved" is to admit that Satan (or whatever) is more powerful than god and Jesus.

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." John 10:29

This verse states pretty emphatically that once saved is always saved. Of course, the apologists always have an answer, no matter how illogical. They state, "Well, if you give up your salvation, you weren't really saved in the first place." This is ridiculous and is stated out of nothing but necessity. I can attest (who else could?) that my "salvation" experience was quite genuine.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;. . ." Matthew 7:21

This is the verse that theists use to pronounce the formerly saved to be "not really saved in the first place". This is absurd as the Bible clearly states all that is required for salvation.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So they can collect more money from you, to increase their treasury.....
I give that a 10.0 for accuracy. Without recruitment of gullible and often damaged adults, and the terrorizing indoctrination of little kids, religion would die out. That is why THEY need for me to be saved, but I can find no reasons why I need to be saved.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
So...why do I need to be "saved"?
You only need to be saved if there's a God. If there's not, you're off the hook.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You only need to be saved if there's a God. If there's not, you're off the hook.
Quite untrue. Anything supernatural could take the place of a god in theological arguments. From Karma to Spaghetti Monsters to Salvation Water (which I sell very cheaply) to That's Just the Way It Super-uber-hyper-meta-ultra-Is!

Yet people in conundrums, with or without supernatural make-'em-ups, also need saving sometimes.

Pascal's Wager implies that chances are unknowable. Have no fear, there is plenty of water to go around... for now. Might as well complete the wager now before its too late, surely you can spare a few bills to buy this ultra-superwater and get you 'further' off the hook!

What do you think was/were my point(s) in this post? Do you disagree?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-15-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
All men and animals and demon spirits and fallen angels have fallen short of of the Righteousness of the Lord Jesus King of the Heavens and the earth , and all are to be condemned at the end of their lives .... demons and fallen angels are all lost and there will be No mercy for these spirit coming from God ......For man all men who have passed from this world will be put among the demons and fallen angels where no mercy will be given to these people ...... But If people turn to Jesus and repent of sins and love the Lord God and pray and receive Jesus spirit in their lives then these people along will be saved from the condemnation of all people who do not develop Christ in their lives ...... God put before the people of the earth life and death , and tells every one to choose life ........ So if you deny then you choose death ........simply put.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Something to do if you are bored so you can have a party.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
All men and animals and demon spirits and fallen angels have fallen short of of the Righteousness of the Lord Jesus King of the Heavens and the earth , and all are to be condemned at the end of their lives .... demons and fallen angels are all lost and there will be No mercy for these spirit coming from God ......For man all men who have passed from this world will be put among the demons and fallen angels where no mercy will be given to these people ...... But If people turn to Jesus and repent of sins and love the Lord God and pray and receive Jesus spirit in their lives then these people along will be saved from the condemnation of all people who do not develop Christ in their lives ...... God put before the people of the earth life and death , and tells every one to choose life ........ So if you deny then you choose death ........simply put.
O.K., so if someone puts a gun to your head and tells you to make a choice, your wallet or a bullet in the head? Are you all right with this? After all, you do have a choice, don't you? Your message also reads like you've been watching too much Creep Show, sport.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Scared little people want to be assured they are not the only scared little people. i.e. misery loves company.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Scared little people want to be assured they are not the only scared little people. i.e. misery loves company.
That's true. It certainly goes a long way to explain a great many things.

Saving...

Mircea

Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Quite untrue. Anything supernatural could take the place of a god in theological arguments. From Karma to Spaghetti Monsters to Salvation Water (which I sell very cheaply) to That's Just the Way It Super-uber-hyper-meta-ultra-Is!

Yet people in conundrums, with or without supernatural make-'em-ups, also need saving sometimes.

Pascal's Wager implies that chances are unknowable. Have no fear, there is plenty of water to go around... for now. Might as well complete the wager now before its too late, surely you can spare a few bills to buy this ultra-superwater and get you 'further' off the hook!

What do you think was/were my point(s) in this post?
To be perfectly honest, I'm not actually sure.

Quote:
Do you disagree?
Again, I'm not sure to what extent we agree or disagree. All I was intending to say is that if there is a God (not necessarily the Abrahamic God but some Higher Power to whom we are accountable for our behavior and who expects us to obey certain rules), we probably should be thinking in terms of some way to get get back in His/Her/Its good graces since we've obviously fallen short. If there isn't anything after death at all, and there is no Higher Power, we have no need of salvation. In other words, there is nothing to be saved from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality