Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

One issue is that if it is legally sanctioned as "marriage", then the next step will be to force churches that don't believe in same sex marriage to marry, because it is legal in that state and churches would then be breaking the law. IMO, this will happen...

Anyway, not everybody can get married. You can't marry your sister or brother even though you might love them, so it's not about love, or else every relationship would have to be open for marriage. You can't marry more than one woman/man at a time or else you are a bigamist and breaking the law.

What happens if gay marriage is legal and some gays don't want to get married. Do they then still get all the benefits...one of the big arguments was that they should get benefits because they can't legally get married. So if two heterosexuals don't want to get married either, do they get all the benefits same as a gay couple who doesn't want to get married? I'd say then that heterosexual couples should get all these benefits as well, married or not. Most of this isn't at all about love, it's about money.

Remember, California has defeated the gay marriage bill twice now...as well as most other states, because it is a very complicated issue. Nobody is trying to keep people from being together...I think most people are OK with a civil union.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Call it a civil union and most Christians have no problem with it. Marriage is a sacrament in my religion so it it a holy thing. It is reserved for persons of the opposition sex. You want to give gay couples the same rights involving insurance, taxes, inheritance, and other legal situations just like heterosexuals, go for it.
What about separation of church and state? Isn't divorce not allowed either? Why not work to create laws abolishing divorce too, since they go against your religion.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
are there any religions that actually allow same sex marriage?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,127 times
Quote:
Call it a civil union and most Christians have no problem with it. Marriage is a sacrament in my religion so it it a holy thing. It is reserved for persons of the opposition sex. You want to give gay couples the same rights involving insurance, taxes, inheritance, and other legal situations just like heterosexuals, go for it.
It just irks me when christians talk about marriage as though they have some kind of ownership over it. Get over yourself! Marriage is a social contract between two people (sometimes more than two depending upon the culture). We are not a theocracy, so we do not have to live by your religious beliefs. If you don't like gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex! Why do so many christians complain about the government being in the "marriage business" yet they willingly partake of the benefits and rights that accompany the signing of a marriage license? If marriage is solely a religious matter to you, then you can get married in a church before god, but just waive the governmental involvement which so many christians seem to despise. I don't see that happening too much.

If you think the government involvement in marriage should be separate from the religious involvement, then do not become civilly married by signing a marriage license! And for christians to suggest that they would "allow" gay people to have the same rights via "civil unions"? Are you kidding me? All of this hoopla over a WORD? You just don't want their union to be called a "marriage"? Unbelievable! You don't even think the government should be involved at all, so who are you to say who should be "allowed" rights and benefits? If anything, YOU should not be allowed the rights and benefits of civil marriage if you think it should only remain within the realm of religion. If you want marriage to be separate from the government, then you have the right to not participate in the civil part! However, many people do want these rights and benefits....so who are you to determine who is "allowed" to receive these civil benefits that you don't believe are part of "marriage" anyway?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Christians aren't the only ones against gay marriage.
But they are the only ones that are using the bible as their justification, and 99% of the people opposing gay marriages.

Goat herders, farmers and peasants that lived 2000 - 3000 years ago didn't approve, good enuf for them, good enuf today? How progressive

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
This whole topic of who can and can't get married is strange to me. Why is this a religious debate? Religion shouldn't have anything to do with this since it is a legal matter, but Christians seem to think this should be banned due to their religion. This has come to the forefront again to me since Chick fil a has announced their position in this matter. I know plenty of people are for and against this issue, but why is this a religious debate? There is no reason why gay people shouldn't be able to marry and that is just fact, not opinion.
It looks like its a religious debate but its more about the fact many people are uncomfortable with changing an institution that has been in place for centuries in Western culture. Homosexuality and gay marriage as defined today has only really been in the open in the past 50 years, and as recently as 15 years ago, most people were against gay marriage. Gay marriage represents a huge shift in Western culture so its going to take some time before it will be accepted fully, and 100% of the people will likely never approve of it because there are always going to be people that hold to the Biblical view of marriage.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
It's not necessarily a biblical view, but same-sex marriage is just an abomination of nature.

This is just straightforward logic.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It's not necessarily a biblical view, but same-sex marriage is just an abomination of nature.

This is just straightforward logic.
This is only logical if you know nothing about how frequently homosexuality occurs in nature.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Marriage, however, is not a sacrament in the United States. You do not own the word marriage. Your religious denomination (Catholic I'm presuming) neither invented it, nor had the concept for the majority of its history. Catholicism didn't even make it a sacrament until the 13th Century (1200 years after Christianity began), and didn't make it a requirement until the 16th Century.

You do not dictate who can use the word marriage.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Why aren't Christians allowed to have their beliefs, state them, and stand by them? At least they have the ethics to state clearly what they believe, whether it's "popular" with some people or not. How many corporations can you say that about today?

As long as they are not discriminating in who they hire, or who they serve, they have every right to stand by their beliefs, and people have every right to make a decision whether or not to patronize them. They have the cleanest, friendliest, most efficient fast food places in our town, and the best food, hands down.

Like regular patrons are going to say "Oh, let's not go to THAT place anymore. I hear they have some religious convictions".
Um, they do discriminate in who they hire, and they fund hate groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality