U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM

163 posts, read 120,927 times
Arrow Why are Christians considered Haters for their worldview?

We as a society have dealt with many politically-charged issues throughout our history. Not all issues have had a political backing but somehow they (politicians and pundits) seem to find a back door. Why are Christians considered haters for the worldview we possess?

Acceptance of people who have same-sex attractions and equality of marriage proposals are the electrical current running through our society today. In the 70s, 80s and 90s the top issue was abortion, now it's about the gay community. While abortion is still an extremely important issue we as a society and culture are more in tune with equality for gay and transgendered people.

We live in a world where diversity of thought and belief has existed for more than a millennium. People who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus have a worldview not held by people who follow Allah, Hindu gods, paganism. Everyone has different values and beliefs, even in marriage a husband and wife are not going to be in agreement on all things spiritual due to different life experiences.

Why is it difficult for people to accept that people who follow the teachings of Jesus (known as Christians) have a valid and valued point of view on a topic such as same-sex attraction or equality in marriage? Whether on a forum, a blog, in the media or even in real life Christians are portrayed as a hateful group of people simply because they are not in agreement on these issues.

When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names. Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.

While I cannot speak for every follower of Jesus, we do not hate people who do not believe as we do. We may not accept a way of living because it goes against what we believe, but we do not hate.

When we talk about our beliefs and evangelize we are sharing something amazing in our life and want others to hear about it.

The lyrics, "and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love," speak volumes about people who follow the Christ. Before responding to someone's comments on their beliefs remember that not all people are who they say they are. Not all people who call themselves Christians are. That brings up another issue of judgement but it's not one for the purpose of this post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 AM

10,325 posts, read 3,380,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
We as a society have dealt with many politically-charged issues throughout our history. Not all issues have had a political backing but somehow they (politicians and pundits) seem to find a back door. Why are Christians considered haters for the worldview we possess?
It's only a very small, obnoxious subset of Christianity that is view negatively. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical variety. Not sure why you're lumping all Christians together. There are over 2 billion Christians, and 35,000 denominations. There is no singular worldview.

Quote:

Why is it difficult for people to accept that people who follow the teachings of Jesus (known as Christians) have a valid and valued point of view on a topic such as same-sex attraction or equality in marriage? Whether on a forum, a blog, in the media or even in real life Christians are portrayed as a hateful group of people simply because they are not in agreement on these issues.
Because those opposed to gays do not have a valuable worldview. They have a very ignorant perspective of the issue based on a poor education of how sexuality/orientation works, and they base it on 5 very vague verses written thousands of years ago, in an entirely foreign language, in a cultural context we cannot relate to. But all those elements are ignored by your typical Christian, and they pull those vague verses out of context, quote them in English, and say "See God hates gays". When proven wrong, they whine and claim gay supporters are agents of Satan.

Conservative Christians are viewed as hateful because they use the Bible as a weapon and call gays abominations, perverted, child molesters, disease ridden, hell bound, agents of Satan, unnatural, etc. all while throwing out that stupid cliche "Hate the sin, love the sinner". Then they have the absurd audacity to claim being gay is a choice and gays are just trying to spite God.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM

3,603 posts, read 2,813,345 times
Quote:

Acceptance of people who have same-sex attractions and equality of marriage proposals are the electrical current running through our society today. In the 70s, 80s and 90s the top issue was abortion, now it's about the gay community. While abortion is still an extremely important issue we as a society and culture are more in tune with equality for gay and transgendered people.

We live in a world where diversity of thought and belief has existed for more than a millennium. People who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus have a worldview not held by people who follow Allah, Hindu gods, paganism. Everyone has different values and beliefs, even in marriage a husband and wife are not going to be in agreement on all things spiritual due to different life experiences.
Most nonchristians don't label christians as a single monolithic group.

Quote:

When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names. Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.
Opposing gay marriage or homosexuality isn't a valid or valued point of view. While not all christians are anti gay, there are a fair number that think it is an abomination and wicked etc. That is not love, it is blatant hatred, despite what anyone likes to say.

Quote:

When we talk about our beliefs and evangelize we are sharing something amazing in our life and want others to hear about it.
Interesting how evangelism is almost always about sharing the "good news" that people are wicked and condemned to burn if they don't bow and follow an invisible wizard whom has provided no vestige of their existence. That doesn't sound too amazing.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM

163 posts, read 120,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's only a very small, obnoxious subset of Christianity that is view negatively. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical variety. Not sure why you're lumping all Christians together. There are over 2 billion Christians, and 35,000 denominations. There is no singular worldview.
I am "lumping" them all together because when the subject is talked about in forums or the media they don't call out a subset of Christianity. They simply call out Christians. And I am part of that obnoxious subset as you call it. I am an evangelical Christian.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,027,706 times
We see in others what we have in ourselves. Christians are considered haters because those holding the belief that we are haters are haters themselves. Simple as that. Just because the Bible says that living a certain lifestyle is sinful does not mean that Christians hate the person doing it. But it is not our place to deny the facts stated in the Bible.

Telling lies, stealing, cheating, killing, etc. are sins also. But I don't hear people say that the people that do these things should be excused for it though and if you don't agree with telling lies, stealing, cheating, killing you are discriminating against the person doing them. The Bible says that people doing all of these things will not enter the kingdom of heaven. I don't have the right to overrule that. If you want to call me a hater because I believe the Bible, I don't know any way to stop you from doing that; but I think that is discrimination against Christians who believe the Bible.

Makes you wonder how anyone can be a Christian and not believe the Bible?

The Good News is that Jesus died for people that sin and we all sin. John 3:16.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM

7,546 posts, read 8,497,976 times
It's because the loudest voices get the attention and who has the loudest voice these days? Yep, the Westboro "Baptist" "Church." My contention is that they're not Christians at all and not naturally opposed to gays but they do this to make Christians look bad and therefore tear down the church in the eyes of the public. Add to that the effects of people like Jerry Falwell. Nuff said!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 AM

753 posts, read 350,446 times
I have no problem with you looking at the world through the lense of your religion, and I don't care if you find things that I have no problem with as reprehensible and terrible sins. What I do take issue with is when your religion begins to have a negative effect on people who want nothing to do with it.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I am "lumping" them all together because when the subject is talked about in forums or the media they don't call out a subset of Christianity. They simply call out Christians. And I am part of that obnoxious subset as you call it. I am an evangelical Christian.
You mean kinda like how Conservative Christians lump all gays together as belonging to a promiscuous, disease ridden "gay lifestyle" bent on indoctrinating children?

If you think the famed 5 clobber passages used to condemn gays are actually referring to modern day gays, I'd say yes, you're part of the subset. I'm pretty positive you've never bothered to study their original meaning in context, and your view is based solely on tradition or what you've been taught.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We see in others what we have in ourselves. Christians are considered haters because those holding the belief that we are haters are haters themselves. Simple as that. Just because the Bible says that living a certain lifestyle is sinful does not mean that Christians hate the person doing it. But it is not our place to deny the facts stated in the Bible.
Unfortunately you guys don't understand the Bible. What you're stating aren't facts, they are personal interpretations of an English translation 4000 years removed from the original context.

The Bible says a heck of a lot of things you ignore, but then cherry picking is the Conservative Christian's modus operandi.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM

10,030 posts, read 6,502,251 times
Quote:

Hey, if the shoe fits wear it, but just remember, not everybody wears a same size..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality