U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM

62 posts, read 19,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieE View Post
No need. Why young people are leaving the church Christians are chasing them away.
Odd. The church I attend has thousands of members. The vast majority are young people. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 08-17-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM

258 posts, read 88,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderkid50 View Post
EEEEnnnhhh! (the wrong sound from Family Feud).

No adult has ever argued, seriously, that Santa Claus is real or that fairies exist outside of fairy tales. If you have evidence otherwise, and not from some obscure internet nut job, please do share.
Sure. "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of the fictional Sherlock Holmes, was a devout believer in spiritualism, and had been commissioned by the Strand Magazine to write an article on fairies for their Christmas issue 1920. When he was preparing this article he first heard of the Cottingley Fairies.

Conan Doyle also wrote an extensive book and analysis of the phenomena published in 1922 and titled The Coming of the Fairies[1], which he claimed to be his only non-fiction book. The book contains numerous photographs and extensive, ostensibly objective, discussion of the issues.

Conan Doyle was a true believer,

Fairytale: A True Story

"The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths, two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 10. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Conan Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena."

Cottingley Fairies

Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Odd. The church I attend has thousands of members. The vast majority are young people. If only YOU could talk sense into them.......
No need. Or didn't you read the link?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM

62 posts, read 19,251 times
Quote:
No need. Or didn't you read the link?
I perused it hoss. Please don't adopt the tone of a teacher admonishing their student for failing to do homework. Lord, the hubris of atheists.

All those reasons are tired. The church I attend is not about judgement. That's G-ds job. Duhhhh. It's about having a relationship with JC and living as close as you can according to what the bible advises. But let's be clear. No one is perfect. And The bible does not claim good works will get you into heaven. That requires a heartfelt relationship with G-d through JC.

Sin is something we all do. That is readily acknowledged, by the pastor on down. Fortunately, JC died on the cross so that we can be forgiven for them.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 08-17-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,596,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
It is very easy to rationalize but it takes the courage of an open heart to experience.
Hearts don't feel anything other than the electrical impulses that make them contract in proper order.

I might also say that it doesn't take much courage to submit oneself to some patronizing being that will take care of you if you simply obey.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM

707 posts, read 277,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hearts don't feel anything other than the electrical impulses that make them contract in proper order.

I might also say that it doesn't take much courage to submit oneself to some patronizing being that will take care of you if you simply obey.
Try it. You might be surprised.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM

707 posts, read 277,766 times
Quote:

Yes of course we do. Do you choose not to believe in Santa Claus or fairies? If you choose not to believe in Santa Claus or fairies you're no different from atheists.
Oh the dreaded Santa approach from an atheist. Let's see...we all know we made that one up. Proof is simple, wait at your fireplace on Xmas eve. Problem solved. The beginning of the universe...not so simple.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 AM

434 posts, read 135,814 times
Quote:
What's funny to me is HH feels the need to come here and bash Christians and Christianity. Meanwhile his own beliefs are likely not subject to similar direct assault. One wonders what drives the obsession....
You are absolutely unfettered in your ability to learn Heathen lore, find inconsistencies within it, and come here to make a thread exposing them. When you gain the ability to do so coherently I'll be right here to see it.

In the meanwhile, though, there's nothing funny to you about me being here exposing the emptiness of your religion or the uselessness/falsehood of ID. It's bothersome to you; hence why you chose to enter the conversation. When falsehood is touted loudly as truth it's my duty to expose it. falsehood eats away at the world like a virus; the promotion of these ID lies, for example, are what is destroying my country. it is my absolute duty to defend my home from this destruction.

Quote:
Frankly, what HH describes above could be applied to the billions of believers.
'could be'?
Quote:
Wrong thinkers, eh? Thats how I describe liberals and other such ilk who BELIEVE in wealth redistribution, huge government oversight and that anal sex is perfectly normal and healthy. Gosh, it seems to me there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, but yet liberalism persists. At least it does for now.
Total non sequitur... and, what's this about anal sex?

Quote:
The absolute fallacy here is that one must reject science to believe in g-d. What an absurd notion. The beauty and wonder of science provides all the more evidence that there is a creator. At least compared to just plain old blind luck that we are the beneficiaries of such wonder. You know, the odds of which make winning the multi state lotteries look easy.
It's not required, and I never said this; I merely remark at the ignorance of evidence you and he display

Quote:
Repeated DEMANDS? I'm sorry hoss, did someone grant you the authority to DEMAND anything of me or anyone else here? I sure didn't. I guess you know what you can do with your demands.
Cowards never rise to challenges

Quote:
Every Christian has doubts from time to time. The fact that you don't realize this shows a remarkable lack of comprehension of what really goes on in the hearts, minds and souls of those behind the heavy wooden doors you so abhor. Clearly your "knowledge" of Christianity is not based on a true understanding or familiarity with its essence. ignorance is not a position that one should argue from, hoss.
Im a former Christian and I know all about it; however, there was also no discussion about doubts. You are basically flailing all over unrelated subjects hoping to make some kind of point.

Quote:
What's tragic is the atheist belief in no god. They can't prove the lack of one, but CHOOSE to believe there isn't one. They speak extensively about their self proclaimed superior intellect, and the Chrisitans lack of courage to accept the truth. The former is just ego, the latter is pure irony - ESP given the courage it takes to believe in what cannot be explicitly proven, yet is apparent to anyone who has an open mind and soul. Not to mention not being afraid of being held accountable for their actions one day.
You do not have an open mind.

And Im a polytheist. I have more Gods than you do. Mine just make sense.

But it's true, some of the atheists don't know what they are missing. But they and I both are smart enough to recognize that your God has crippled you. It appears obvious that one of the things that hinders you is that they, and I, argue alike; we rely on truth and facts and we accept what truth and facts leave us with. So you conflate me with them , and keep harping on endlessly about atheism when mistakenly referring to me. Given how you dismiss evidence I imagine this will continue.

Last edited by Heathen Hammer; 08-17-2012 at 02:52 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,042,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Oh the dreaded Santa approach from an atheist. Let's see...we all know we made that one up. Proof is simple, wait at your fireplace on Xmas eve. Problem solved. The beginning of the universe...not so simple.
Nor should it be simple. The problem is that while the question is open, people like yourself insist on fitting the "God of the gaps" into it.

This "You can not answer question X therefore god is Credible/Likely" is not just unimpressive... it is slick with the sweat of your desperation for it to be true.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I perused it hoss. Please don't adopt the tone of a teacher admonishing their student for failing to do homework. Lord, the hubris of atheists.
The definition of Hubris is: Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality." Such as in Christians believing they were specially created by God and are the pinnacle of creation. Now that is Hubris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality