Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times

Advertisements

[quote]
I am having a dark night of the soul per se. As I struggle with Christianity, it is impossible to ignore what alot of Christians are doing.. There is alot of visceral hate I see spread daily on tv, on the internet, on the radio and it makes no sense.Aren't Christians suppose to be loving,nice,peaceful people? I keep running into power hungry,racist,homophobic,sexist,war/gun loving,greedy,islamophobic, ethnocentrism and the list goes on. I hardly ever see about those who want to help the less fortune,or those who want equal rights for everyone, or welcoming those who are down and out. Well I have only been on this earth for a small amount of time, but has it always been this way? Maybe it has, and I'm just finally waking up? How can I choose this religion when its filled with such contradiction

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-11-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

I'm starting to believe that verse applies more to Christians, whereas your typical Conservative will claim it applies to liberals, atheists, Jews, Muslims, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Narrow gate, wide gate, eye of the needle, I've heard it all ...

Correct. Most Christians are far from Christ-like. They're selfish heathens, for the most part. I learned that in Catholic school and when I found people of better ethical and moral fiber at state universities where I did my graduate work (Christians, Muslims, Jews, agnostics, etc.), it made me all the much less interested in going to church. I still feel this way.

I will always believe in what I was taught (about 97% of it, anyway), but my desire to go to church was severely impaired by my experiences with Catholics earlier in my life.

The more people toot their horn about being good Christians/Catholics, the less I trust them.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I am having a dark night of the soul per se. As I struggle with Christianity, it is impossible to ignore what alot of Christians are doing.. There is alot of visceral hate I see spread daily on tv, on the internet, on the radio and it makes no sense.Aren't Christians suppose to be loving,nice,peaceful people? I keep running into power hungry,racist,homophobic,sexist,war/gun loving,greedy,islamophobic, ethnocentrism and the list goes on. I hardly ever see about those who want to help the less fortune,or those who want equal rights for everyone, or welcoming those who are down and out. Well I have only been on this earth for a small amount of time, but has it always been this way? Maybe it has, and I'm just finally waking up? How can I choose this religion when its filled with such contradiction
You're going to let other people affect your relationship with Christ?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Here's the thing my friend...

ALL religion is man-made and therefore subject to being flawed.

Instead of focusing on religion, fix your eyes on Jesus.

Don't let yourself be troubled or your faith be derailed by the actions of others.

Just follow Jesus - do what HE has called you to do and the rest will take care of itself when he returns

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
"I like Christ but alot of Christians are nothing like Christ"

That's why there is grace.
God saves the fools of this world, the ignoble, the contemptible so His grace looks more gracious, love more loving etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
"If Christians want us to believe in their Redeemer, then why don't they act more redeemed?" - Nietzsche

That's another major reason why I don't believe in mainstream Christianity (I believe Jesus was a healer and wise man, spiritually enlightened - but not the fount of all salvation.) One need only look at who supports our absurdly bloated military, and military actions that needlessly kill and maim so many overseas - the supporters of that seem to be mostly conservatives, who I believe are mostly Christians. It's not so much that they're disobeying the Sermon on the Mount, but also that it shows no sign of redemption as a result of "being saved". Christians aren't actually worse than other people, but they're certainly not better either.

Last edited by Woof; 08-10-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 03:09 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Stay off the TV and the Internet and off the lines at Chik-Fil-A and go out to the places where the less fortunate are being helped. Look inside the soup kitchens and homeless shelters, in the poor and rundown neighborhoods. They are there. I know a number of them. They are too busy working to help others to have time to sit around and judge and hate. They aren't going to be the fanciest people or the best dressed or up on the latest gadgets and must-haves or driving the fanciest cars. They will be humble people and they will not be perfect people, but if you look in their eyes and at their faces, you might see Christ.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,938,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Here's the thing my friend...

ALL religion is man-made and therefore subject to being flawed.

Instead of focusing on religion, fix your eyes on Jesus.

Don't let yourself be troubled or your faith be derailed by the actions of others.

Just follow Jesus - do what HE has called you to do and the rest will take care of itself when he returns

Jesus is also man made. believing in Jesus is religious

Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Jesus is also man made. believing in Jesus is religious
Oh please

Even if you don't believe Jesus is God, there are historical facts to back up that he lived and walked this earth.

If you have nothing of value to add I invite you to move along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality