Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Unbelievably, I agree with you completely. One can be a Christian only by pure blind faith. No reasoning required. As a matter of fact, its discouraged.
Faith in Christ is not blind. My faith has been confirmed many times.

As far as reasoning, an educated, reasonable person would not believe in Christ with no proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
How do you know if you are a Christian, Agnostic, Theist, Spiritual person or just Atheist in disguise?

for instance, in my case, I've always believed there to be a God, but how do I know which one it is?

for sure, the Bible and all the general literature surrounding Christianity makes the most appeal and sense to me, but then do so many other similar things.

for example: Gnostic Christianity, some parts of Hinduism and Buddhism, and general Paganism/spirituality etc..

so how does one separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak?
Why such a need to label oneself?
Why can't we be always exploring & never completely "arriving" at THE truth?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

As far as reasoning, an educated, reasonable person would not believe in Christ with no proof.
I could challenge these confirmations, but I doubt that you would objectively evaluate them. Though, one example of a time your faith was confirmed would be an excellent opportunity for informative discussion.

With proof, one needs no faith.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I could challenge these confirmations, but I doubt that you would objectively evaluate them. Though, one example of a time your faith was confirmed would be an excellent opportunity for informative discussion.

With proof, one needs no faith.
Jesus provided much proof when He walked on this Earth.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
So the book proves the book? The claim proves the claim? The statement proves the statement? Do you realize how ignorant this sounds?

So you have no examples of how Jesus confirms your faith? Just as I suspected.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I can agree with all you say, monumentus (don't faint). I know many Buddhists, atheists, heathens and even a non-radical Muslim (Wood) who seem more Christian than some of the professing Christians on this forum.
Indeed though certainly some of the opinions put out by such people, including wood, are pretty horrendous. Woods opinions on suicide for example I found particularly horrific.

Quote:
Only by faith in the redemptive work of Christ can one be a Christian.
Your definition - not mine. Which is indeed the whole crux of this thread. To know you are a "Christian" you have to know exactly how you are defining that. Your definition might not match that of another.

To use a sporting analogy someone might consider being a Mets fan as being someone who goes to all the games. Another person might consider being a fan just following the results, reading about the games, and hopeing the team wins and wins. The former might not consider the latter a "fan" at all by their own definition. The second would disagree.

So essentially if you want to be a Christian you need to find out what defines that in your own mind and then decide if you fit that definition. If - like me - you think a Christian is someone who studies the works and words of Christ and incorporates them into their own way of life then I am just as much a Christian as many Christians I have met - and more so than many Christians I have met too.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
It's a neat trick. Write a lot of miracle claims that no -one can now check and claim that as proof. If we ask for something now 'The proof has already been provided'.

We do get the ongoing search for miracles. Someone had an out of body experience, someone got inexplicably better, a pilot got his plane down in one piece, I got offered a job just at the exact moment I said a prayer.

The fact is that such anecdotes can't be checked. We don't know what we are not being told. I have had a couple of remarkable coincidences in my life which I could have put down to prayers being answered -except that I wasn't praying. They were just luck.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Indeed though certainly some of the opinions put out by such people, including wood, are pretty horrendous. Woods opinions on suicide for example I found particularly horrific.

Your definition - not mine. Which is indeed the whole crux of this thread. To know you are a "Christian" you have to know exactly how you are defining that. Your definition might not match that of another.

To use a sporting analogy someone might consider being a Mets fan as being someone who goes to all the games. Another person might consider being a fan just following the results, reading about the games, and hopeing the team wins and wins. The former might not consider the latter a "fan" at all by their own definition. The second would disagree.

So essentially if you want to be a Christian you need to find out what defines that in your own mind and then decide if you fit that definition. If - like me - you think a Christian is someone who studies the works and words of Christ and incorporates them into their own way of life then I am just as much a Christian as many Christians I have met - and more so than many Christians I have met too.
That's the Biblical definition, as I showed you. My definition, or your's, matters not.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's a neat trick. Write a lot of miracle claims that no -one can now check and claim that as proof. If we ask for something now 'The proof has already been provided'.

We do get the ongoing search for miracles. Someone had an out of body experience, someone got inexplicably better, a pilot got his plane down in one piece, I got offered a job just at the exact moment I said a prayer.

The fact is that such anecdotes can't be checked. We don't know what we are not being told. I have had a couple of remarkable coincidences in my life which I could have put down to prayers being answered -except that I wasn't praying. They were just luck.
You missed the point. Faith is not blind. Jesus performed miracles to show that He was from God. No reasonable person is going to continue to believe in something that shows no evidence of being true.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
The blindness is in ignoring 2000+ years of accumulated knowledge and understanding of reality and the human condition by adhering strictly to that which was interpreted and recorded by our ignorant primitive ancestors. That is NOT faith . . . that is deliberate ignorance in defense of "precepts and doctrines of men."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality