U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 AM

4,673 posts, read 1,555,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
For people who do believe in God, He is so far above us that comparing a human/pet relationship is the same as comparing a bicycle to a car as an illustration for the speed of light. So applying human judgement on what God does is the same kind of comparison of thought.
This has always seemed like a bit of a cop out to me. It is like the speaker is trying to explain away their lack of evidence by declaring it beyond our understanding. It would appear the average theist is more interested in seeking out excuses to explain away the fact their position is unsubstantiated than they are in actually substantiating a thing they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,412,394 times
Quote:
For people who do believe in God, He is so far above us that comparing a human/pet relationship is the same as comparing a bicycle to a car as an illustration for the speed of light. So applying human judgement on what God does is the same kind of comparison of thought.
Yes, I agree. You'd think someone who claims to love and care for their subjects more than a pet owners loves and cares for his/her pets would be held to an even higher standard. Instead, when commanded to commit infanticide, genocide, rape, and slavery, this god is given a pass because, "its for our own good", "we're not supposed to question God", "everything works out for good", "he's simply chastising his children". No pet owner of parent would allowed such a defense, only God.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 AM

6,314 posts, read 2,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If God is like a pet owner, he would be charged with animal cruelty because of his dog fighting activities and subjecting his pets to diseases and pestilence.
Isn't that exactly what we as parents do? We bear children out of love, but then they're subjected to all the bad that comes with life. Disappointment, disease, death, etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,623,124 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. You'd think someone who claims to love and care for their subjects more than a pet owners loves and cares for his/her pets would be held to an even higher standard. Instead, when commanded to commit infanticide, genocide, rape, and slavery, this god is given a pass because, "its for our own good", "we're not supposed to question God", "everything works out for good", "he's simply chastising his children". No pet owner of parent would allowed such a defense, only God.
Yes. This God does not substantiate his claims. He is not all knowing, all loving, protective. Or, he is so on a random basis. There are times in which prayer works, and others when it does not.

In a Psychology course it was found that random rewards are a better way to train animals/people than consistently rewarding the desired behavior. Is this what God is doing? Can you respect such a God?

It is peculiar that, in the OT God is the one who is petty, jealous, punishing (often the innocent), demanding blind obedience. Lucifer is the guy who stands up to him and on the side of humanity, saying we should be taught, we can learn, we can be independent.

So, it would seem that the senseless following of orders (even sometimes irrational ones) with little reward, is the lot of the religious.

I am more impressed when an animal uses its own ingenuity to tackle its environment, such as crows shaping tools, than blindly doing tricks that some human taught it. You'd think a proper God would feel the same way. Else, of what use is he?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,303,169 times
Quote:
So you're some sort of Deist? So I stick to my original point, The Creator's nature is that of pure infinite meaninglessness...

Old 08-17-2012, 07:28 AM

705 posts, read 231,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So you're some sort of Deist? So I stick to my original point, The Creator's nature is that of pure infinite meaninglessness...
For you.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I think we should question God. That is how we learn about Him.

But for a Being that has created this entire universe and life it stands to reason that we just cannot and will not understand everything He does. Try to explain calculus to your dog.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM

4,673 posts, read 1,555,886 times
Quote:
I think we should question God. That is how we learn about Him.

But for a Being that has created this entire universe and life it stands to reason that we just cannot and will not understand everything He does. Try to explain calculus to your dog.
So trotting out the same thing I just addressed in post #11 above then? You are just doing the same thing again: Explaining away the lack of substantiation for your claims by declaring based on nothing that it is just too complex for us.

You are just making excuses.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 AM

201 posts, read 77,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So trotting out the same thing I just addressed in post #11 above then? You are just doing the same thing again: Explaining away the lack of substantiation for your claims by declaring based on nothing that it is just too complex for us.

That's what they do. Blindly follow a old book, and check their brains at the door. Why think when a book and a church do that for you?!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

If scientists cannot explain the nature of the universe than how am I? I think you don't want to accept that there are things beyond human comprehension...believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality