Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
On the contrary, it will be more than interesting if the Bible is true and the atheists are wrong.

That said, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God.

faith is believing without evidence not believing in god is rejecting your claim based on lack of evidence how many ties must this be repeated to theists?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
faith is believing without evidence not believing in god is rejecting your claim based on lack of evidence how many ties must this be repeated to theists?
Not unlike the atheist who believes the universe just came to be-all on its own.

(also applies to those who believe there is life on other planets-an idea I accept, but don't believe.)

And we theists do have evidence. Just not the kind that the skeptic will accept.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM

667 posts, read 516,168 times
Quote:
Your faith is that the world and life came from nowhere from accident.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not unlike the atheist who believes the universe just came to be-all on its own.

(also applies to those who believe there is life on other planets-an idea I accept, but don't believe.)

And we theists do have evidence. Just not the kind that the skeptic will accept.
read an astronomy or an astrophysics book if you want to learn about the universe

faith is not evidence. a book written 2500 years ago by superstitious primitive tribes in bronze age Palestine is not evidence. logical fallacies are not evidence

Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Your faith is that the world and life came from nowhere from accident.
stop using strawman arguments and put down that book of ancient superstitions you called a bible

Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
stop using strawman arguments and put down that book of ancient superstitions you called a bible
Why do you believe that there is no God?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Why do you believe that there is no God?
1 there is no evidence of a god.

2. recent neuroscience research has shown that religion, and belief in god only exist in the brain.

No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe

“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions. “Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.”

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
1 there is no evidence of a god.

2. recent neuroscience research has shown that religion, and belief in god only exist in the brain.

No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe

“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions. “Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.”
A story that has existed for thousands of years, a universe of which cannot be explained, designs that sustain and repeat life, millions who claim to believe, and a lack of fact to the contrary might give some thought to the possibility of a God.

You may be too narrow minded to accept something other than a scientific answer.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
A story that has existed for thousands of years, a universe of which cannot be explained, designs that sustain and repeat life, millions who claim to believe, and a lack of fact to the contrary might give some thought to the possibility of a God.

You may be too narrow minded to accept something other than a scientific answer.
Hinduism and Buddhism are stories that are even older, but I presume you don't believe them. Your argument from design is ovedrawn to the point of fallacy. ID does NOT stand up as a feasible theory. Millions believe other religions and millions more believe religions which are not now believed. Numbers prove nothing whatsoever other than numbers.

There is also fact to the contrary. Science shows the Creation account to be false and history the Bible to be unreliable. We can accept (where we do not know) that 'something' one might call 'god' could be involved in Cosmic origins and perhaps even biological, but so what, really?

But as to a God that we have to say we believe in and modify our lives accordingly - no, there are no good reasons to believe and plenty to say, on the basis of case, 'That God does not exist'. You can't be too narrow -minded to reject reason and evidence in favour of what you would prefer to believe.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

There is also fact to the contrary. Science shows the Creation account to be false and history the Bible to be unreliable. We can accept (where we do not know) that 'something' one might call 'god' could be involved in Cosmic origins and perhaps even biological, but so what, really?
I don't see the Bible as a science book, however I do see it as something much more important (gasp at the thought) than scientific evidence.

The Bible provides spiritual evidence of something greater than humans. Evidience that we do not understand like creation and the infinity of time or matter because it is beyond human understanding. When I mentioned your narrow mindness, it was somewhat tounge in cheek, my point was that science is not the ultimate answer.

You choose to deny that God is who He says He is in the Bible.

I see evidence in creation that goes unexplained from the scientific world. I just don't find it rational for an explanation that matter of unknown origin came together to not only create life but to do so in so many forms that can sustain itself and recreate itself and to have abilities beyond basic life such as emotion was just a big accident at a place in time that has no beginning.

I see those who believe such a story as in desperate denial of something greater than themselves. They cannot understand something beyond science so they must reject it and fearfully counter any belief to the contrary. I must say that those who do believe in God many times do not make sharing their faith very appealing. Sometimes you have to seperate the messenger from the message.

If I am wrong, no fear, I live a life pursuing something I believe is the basis for a moral standard. I die and the end.

If you are wrong, much fear. You live a life pursuing something you believe holds the answer to scientific mystery. You die and go to hell.

I don't say that to wish that upon you at all. My wish is to the contrary. I certainly appreciate your willingness to explore your beliefs but I believe I have found truth and want you to know it as well.

Last edited by TNEC_Dad; 08-24-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality