Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times

Advertisements

This is a subject that has me stumped. Why do atheists think they are special and believe that they have reason/logic on their side, when there are people of academic esteem, that believe the exact opposite?

This subject also falls into the self-righteous category. Unbelievers project an aura onto believers in Christ, that seems to be a misconception of ones view of the Christian being judged. I am a follower of Christ and I know I am no better or less sinful than anyone on this planet. This is why I believe in Christ. Christ led a perfect life and took our place in the punishment of what you and I deserve.

The self-righteous attitude is detested among true followers of Christ and this can be proven with scripture. I understand that scripture is tossed aside for instinctive hate that resembles intolerance of the maximum degree. So why do you as an unbeliever attack Christ for teachings that aren't His own?

OT scripture is then used against the believer, even though the attacker doesn't believe what they are quoting in the first place. One must understand sin, to even try to understand the off color things of the OT.

Once again, I will say that I am no better than you. So where does this misconception of Christian superiority come from? When Christ clearly teaches, that all humans are the same?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This is a subject that has me stumped. Why do atheists think they are special and believe that they have reason/logic on their side, when there are people of academic esteem, that believe the exact opposite?

This subject also falls into the self-righteous category. Unbelievers project an aura onto believers in Christ, that seems to be a misconception of ones view of the Christian being judged. I am a follower of Christ and I know I am no better or less sinful than anyone on this planet. This is why I believe in Christ. Christ led a perfect life and took our place in the punishment of what you and I deserve.

The self-righteous attitude is detested among true followers of Christ and this can be proven with scripture. I understand that scripture is tossed aside for instinctive hate that resembles intolerance of the maximum degree. So why do you as an unbeliever attack Christ for teachings that aren't His own?

OT scripture is then used against the believer, even though the attacker doesn't believe what they are quoting in the first place. One must understand sin, to even try to understand the off color things of the OT.

Once again, I will say that I am no better than you. So where does this misconception of Christian superiority come from? When Christ clearly teaches, that all humans are the same?
I'd say it is Faith that allows people of superior intellect and education to talk stuff that fails to meet even the basics of logic and science because the Faith - things are firmly believed in and are of course considered to be quite outside the realm of what science can prove and human logic deal with....why can't these materialists SEE this?

I understand that very well but find it difficult to understand why the believers can't see that that it is all based on utter belief in an unverified god- -claim which entails the rejection of all the different unverified supernatural claims, or at least saying that they are the same but misunderstood...which is what the others say too.

So we skeptics and scientists and Darwinists and what have you apply science and reason and see how woefully Theist apologetics falls short of logic and reason (though it scores impressively high for rhetorical trickery and appeals to the unknown) and it does give the impression that we think we are so much smarter and the theists are stupid that we even begin to believe it ourselves.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 AM

434 posts, read 342,476 times
It's self righteous of you to believe that other people need to be punished as you believe you do, or that they are subject to the judgement of your God.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 AM

192 posts, read 438,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'd say it is Faith that allows people of superior intellect and education to talk stuff that fails to meet even the basics of logic and science because the Faith - things are firmly believed in and are of course considered to be quite outside the realm of what science can prove and human logic deal with....why can't these materialists SEE this?

I understand that very well but find it difficult to understand why the believers can't see that that it is all based on utter belief in an unverified god- -claim which entails the rejection of all the different unverified supernatural claims, or at least saying that they are the same but misunderstood...which is what the others say too.

So we skeptics and scientists and Darwinists and what have you apply science and reason and see how woefully Theist apologetics falls short of logic and reason (though it scores impressively high for rhetorical trickery and appeals to the unknown) and it does give the impression that we think we are so much smarter and the theists are stupid that we even begin to believe it ourselves.
Wouldn't it be interesting if the atheists were right all along, that the only faith you need be concerned with is faith in yourself? What if everyone's god was nothing more than a placebo to make yourselves believe in something besides death itself?

T.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting if the atheists were right all along, that the only faith you need be concerned with is faith in yourself? What if everyone's god was nothing more than a placebo to make yourselves believe in something besides death itself?

T.
Looking at the evidence, this is the more likely of scenarios.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:

<snip>

Whether or not Christ taught that "all humans are the same" (whatever that means), Christians themselves have never agreed on this point. Otherwise, there wouldn't be hundreds of Christian sects.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
This is a subject that has me stumped. Why do atheists think they are special and believe that they have reason/logic on their side, when there are people of academic esteem, that believe the exact opposite? <snip>
You have made a generality that is not valid. The term atheist means a person who believes in no gods. That's all there is to it. There is not generality about thinking they are special or believing anything about logic or reasoning. Anything dealing with those issues is no more than incidental to the fact that the atheists each make individual decisions and have individual opinions about everything beyond that one fact that allows them all to fall under the heading atheist.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:

Most of the time when terms like Christian Superiority and other mocking terms are used, they are used as tools to shun and/or coerce behaviors.
You will note many people are very insecure in their beliefs so they will attack others to try and fortify their positions (and thus hilarity ensues).
Not every dog wants to be alpha but most desire it madly.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

T.
It would be very interesting if...as I think is actually the case..atheism is correct (surprised? stick around.) And challenging, too. Janelle on the New Atheism thread played the 'numbers' card. The point has been made that numbers may not prove Christianity (or Islam) right but the numbers are going keep them in the driving seat. I could respond that at one time Christians were a tiny and despised minority, and even looked like vanishing, but look at 'em now. I think because they provided what the state religion couldn't. A story that appeared rooted in reality rather than myth.

I think that's what we can offer. The Great religions (Hinduism apart - that is right up there with the egyptian pantheon) can also look comparably historical but people seem to be doubting the claims, perhaps because they doubt the results. I reckon that atheism or at least irreligion, can supply a lot more life -satisfaction that many theists can possibly imagine.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM

667 posts, read 516,244 times
Quote:

T.
On the contrary, it will be more than interesting if the Bible is true and the atheists are wrong.

That said, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.