U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you want to spend eternity with God? It's not about heaven or hell. Would you want to be aroun
Yes 17 29.31%
No 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM
 
10,947 posts, read 11,105,800 times
Reputation: 3312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No, it is not normal...
It is exceptional.

Abnormal was the word that popped into my mind, Miss Hepburn. Jimmie isn't saying it right out, but he IS implying that he'd like to be dead right now so he can be with his Jesus. Again, that's not normal. It borders on delusional when there's no proof Jesus is even real except in jimmie's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
14,845 posts, read 11,851,530 times
Reputation: 16395
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Abnormal was the word that popped into my mind, Miss Hepburn. Jimmie isn't saying it right out, but he IS implying that he'd like to be dead right now so he can be with his Jesus. Again, that's not normal. It borders on delusional when there's no proof Jesus is even real except in jimmie's head.
But as you know he believes in Jesus...and many of us don't need the proof others do...so it isn't delusional to him.
Nor to me...I believe my friends that have seen Jesus.
They also can't prove it. (I saw a real live UFO once! Up close! Can't prove it to anyone.)

He may have had a whisper, a hint of a feeling that made his heart soar and there you have it...
gonzo for Jesus.

(And jimmie doesn't believe in death, thrill...it's a moving on, a transformation...a new stage that he believes leads to Heaven...he isn't suicidal...no, he is full of life...and wants even more and more of God and His glory.)

Btw, buddy...I added to that post of mine...I had more thoughts a minute ago.
You won't agree or even understand what I said...but, what's new! I still like ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM
 
39,377 posts, read 26,424,536 times
Reputation: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
But I do remain intellectually curious about your consistent, repeated use of capitalized "Reality," which suggests to me a meaning that others may not take for granted. What does the term mean to you? (I previously said I wouldn't ask again, citing the 3-strikes rule, but am seizing the moment since you were kind enough to reach out to me directly)
Reality is the entirety that encompasses our measurement and sensory system constrained 5% that gives rise to the untenable and illusory reductionist materialist view that entraps so many atheists as the only "reality." The 95% encompasses the part that might be considered the transcendent Divine but actually, the entirety of Reality IS the Divine consciousness field (unified field) that ensconces (immanence) our measured and sensed reality in its imagination. Miss H. gives a better description of its experiential Reality with apologies to C.S. Lewis whose quote I slightly altered in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Count me in on capping Reality, also.

Reality...which once experienced, is an experience of One being (ha, or Being) being at the center...the essence of it all....
Whether it be the color red, the dust particle floating on the sunbeam or the 10,000 galaxies hidden behind my thumb as I hold it to the sky.

Reality is the Divine. There is reading this...and then there is the direct, up close
and personal experience.

(Mystic may have another reason and, of course, another wonderful way to express it.
Take it, Bro...)

And drum roll please, I do not often have cause to write this...so pls indulge me, Heela, CS Lewis:

If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into,
the thing that has them.
They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone.
They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very center of Reality.
If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
 
362 posts, read 67,137 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Reality is the entirety that encompasses our measurement and sensory system constrained 5% that gives rise to the untenable and illusory reductionist materialist view that entraps so many atheists as the only "reality." The 95% encompasses the part that might be considered the transcendent Divine but actually, the entirety of Reality IS the Divine consciousness field (unified field) that ensconces (immanence) our measured and sensed reality in its imagination. Miss H. gives a better description of its experiential Reality with apologies to C.S. Lewis whose quote I slightly altered in bold.
Thank you for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
14,845 posts, read 11,851,530 times
Reputation: 16395
Quote:
...measured and sensed reality
And when you look at the EM spectrum it's like an 1/8th of an inch if the scale is 6-7 inches ...teeny teeny slice we pick up with our teeny limited senses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 PM
 
10,947 posts, read 11,105,800 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But as you know he believes in Jesus...and many of us don't need the proof others do...so it isn't delusional to him.
Nor to me...I believe my friends that have seen Jesus.
They also can't prove it. (I saw a real live UFO once! Up close! Can't prove it to anyone.)

He may have had a whisper, a hint of a feeling that made his heart soar and there you have it...
gonzo for Jesus.

(And jimmie doesn't believe in death, thrill...it's a moving on, a transformation...a new stage that he believes leads to Heaven...he isn't suicidal...no, he is full of life...and wants even more and more of God and His glory.)

Btw, buddy...I added to that post of mine...I had more thoughts a minute ago.
You won't agree or even understand what I said...but, what's new! I still like ya.

And I like you, too, Miss Hepburn because you are civilized and don't insult and poke like the fundies around here.
Now, here's where it gets a little slippery. Jimmie believes in Jesus in his head, true. I don't, true. But neither of us can prove the other wrong because Jesus is not an entity, he's an idea and when there is no proof for something either way it just becomes opinion.

Now here's where it gets even slipperier. If the authorities ever got wind of the fact that Jimmie loves Jesus so much that he might be willing to seriously harm himself to be with Jesus and see him face to face as jimmie so desperately wants to do, then this is where reality infringes on jimmie's dreams of seeing Jesus. The authorities do have the right to seize a person and lock them up for 72 hours for observation if they feel the person is a danger to himself or others. This is why religion is so dangerous. In the law's eyes, theoretically any religious nut is capable of harming himself or worse. I'm neutral. I don't care about religious causes at all; jimmie does. So all this seeing Jesus face to face nonsense may not be delusional to jimmie but it most certainly is delusional to the authorities--the people with the real power--to trespass on our lives to save us from ourselves, and that's all we as observers need to concern ourselves with--the fact that it's the people with the power who have the ability to step into our lives uninvited and mess up our sweet delusions, be they real or not.

And can you say with any real authority or expert witnessing that jimmie isn't suicidal? I can't. How do you know that? How can anyone know what a person is really capable of when they carry around so much religious baggage? I would never bet a religious fanatic wasn't capable of at least some lunacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,298 posts, read 27,972,594 times
Reputation: 9653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
What are your thoughts and feelings about the Judeo-Christian God? Instead of talking about religions and Christians, share your true thoughts about God just like you'd describe someone you know, or kinda know.


There is no God, it is pure superstition spawned by the fear of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM
 
38,329 posts, read 10,470,122 times
Reputation: 5032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is no God, it is pure superstition spawned by the fear of death.
That's what on the Dawkins atheism scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM
 
27 posts, read 2,946 times
Reputation: 18
Let’s just say without a shadow of a doubt, you know for a fact, that God came down as a human and lived the pain we live and willing-fully got tortured and killed just to show you how much he cares and loves you, you wouldn’t want to be around that love for eternity? Because eternity is real for us, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,316 posts, read 13,166,396 times
Reputation: 11540
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
Let’s just say without a shadow of a doubt, you know for a fact, that God came down as a human and lived the pain we live and willing-fully got tortured and killed just to show you how much he cares and loves you, you wouldn’t want to be around that love for eternity? Because eternity is real for us, one way or another.
He was (supposedly) a god. His boo-boos got better after a couple of days and he sashayed back into heaven with his daddy god.

So, like a popular meme says: Jesus gave up a weekend for your sins.

Big whoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top