U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to spend eternity with God? It's not about heaven or hell. Would you want to be aroun
Yes 14 32.56%
No 29 67.44%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 AM

434 posts, read 288,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You're gonna get a lot of God hater responses. What's funny is they are gonna hate on something they don't believe is real. Kinda irrational if you ask me. I don't waste my time on hating things like Trolls and Faireys. Or Pink Unicorns and the Spaghetti Monster.
Welllllll, let me break your little stereotype.

As a Heathen, I understand and believe that Gods other than my own exist.

While I maintain quite often in these.. discussions, that the Abrahamic God does not exist when he is described with irrational or illogical properties, I certainly allow that some version of him, exists somewhere. However, given the attributes he does appear to have, eliminating the apologetic nonsense, I must remark that he's one of the most loathsome, lying, vindictive Gods I've ever been made aware of. There's nothing about his Orwellian cult I find attractive in the least, and quite a bit of the opposite. He makes boasts he clearly cannot back up, his actions are bloodthirsty and psychotic; he covers his actions in flowery words of love and peace, yet he wishes to destroy the world, having tried to do so previously. He is alien to humans, related to no-one, capricious, and dangerous.

You asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,896,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
What are your thoughts and feelings about the Judeo-Christian God?
No such thing. There's several different sects within Judaism, and lots of different views about god(s) within Christianity. Trying to lump all of these incompatible opinions into one being just leaves it an incoherent mess.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM

7,422 posts, read 6,401,324 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts and feelings about the Judeo-Christian God? Instead of talking about religions and Christians, share your true thoughts about God just like you'd describe someone you know, or kinda know.
First, God doesn't belong to a group. God is God. God is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent, so there is no where that God is not -- one has one's being in God, so one doesn't choose God. Your question is like asking a fish if it wants to spend an eternity with water.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 8,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
Welllllll, let me break your little stereotype.

As a Heathen, I understand and believe that Gods other than my own exist.

While I maintain quite often in these.. discussions, that the Abrahamic God does not exist when he is described with irrational or illogical properties, I certainly allow that some version of him, exists somewhere. However, given the attributes he does appear to have, eliminating the apologetic nonsense, I must remark that he's one of the most loathsome, lying, vindictive Gods I've ever been made aware of. There's nothing about his Orwellian cult I find attractive in the least, and quite a bit of the opposite. He makes boasts he clearly cannot back up, his actions are bloodthirsty and psychotic; he covers his actions in flowery words of love and peace, yet he wishes to destroy the world, having tried to do so previously. He is alien to humans, related to no-one, capricious, and dangerous.

You asked.
I thought you were going to break my little sterotype.

But instead.......

Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,149,350 times
My feelings about the various interpretations of the Abrahamic God notwithstanding, an eternity of anything sounds awful. Even if God ended up being a swell guy, I'd hate to hang around him, or anybody, forever.

That said, based on the interpretations of the Abrahamic God I've encountered, he seems like a big jerk to me, so I'll pass on the eternity with him.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Honestly, this thread belongs in the Christian section. You're gonna get a lot of God hater responses. What's funny is they are gonna hate on something they don't believe is real. Kinda irrational if you ask me. I don't waste my time on hating things like Trolls and Faireys. Or Pink Unicorns and the Spaghetti Monster.
I don't hate the Abrahamic god anymore than I hate Sauron or Anton Chigurh. In fact, I love a good villain. But they are all still villains in the story. And in "real life" I wouldn't want to hang around Sauron, Anton Chigurh or the Abrahamic god.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,266,800 times
Yes! God seems like she would be really cool to spend some time with!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM

434 posts, read 288,135 times
Quote:
I thought you were going to break my little sterotype.

But instead.......
I did.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,893,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
No such thing. There's several different sects within Judaism, and lots of different views about god(s) within Christianity. Trying to lump all of these incompatible opinions into one being just leaves it an incoherent mess.
I am not talking about religion or sects. I am talking about God, the eternal being that we have all heard of whether we believe in Him or not. It's as simple as a "yes" or a "no". By your post I'm guessin' you are on the "no" side.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about religion or sects. I am talking about God, the eternal being that we have all heard of whether we believe in Him or not. It's as simple as a "yes" or a "no". By your post I'm guessin' you are on the "no" side.
But there are different interpretations of the Abrahamic god. It isn't as easy as saying "yes" or "no" because there is no agreed upon consensus on what the Abrahamic god would be like. The whole reason there are religion and sects is because no one can agree on what the Abrahamic god is really like, or what his deal is.

If you were to be more specific as to which flavor of Abrahamic god you mean, it would be an easier question to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality