U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to spend eternity with God? It's not about heaven or hell. Would you want to be aroun
Yes 14 32.56%
No 29 67.44%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

10,509 posts, read 10,263,095 times

Advertisements

As a Native American and a member of the Tsalagi, I believe in a Creator not any of the Abrahamic gods.. I wouldn't mind sitting down at a table and sharing a meal or drink with my Creator, I mean after all, I have no fear of him and I think it would make for some interesting conversation, however, I don't think I'd want to spend eternity with him, I imagine it would get very boring after a while and after all there isn't but so much to talk about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM

4,610 posts, read 4,077,517 times
I can't imagine spending eternity with the Judeo/Christian/Muslim god. I mean, he sounds so judgemental and pompous, and I doubt he would ever listen to my opinion if I disagreed with him.

It would be kind of like spending time with Al Gore.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,896,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Okay, fair enough. I'm talking about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about the Jesus you read about in the New Testament of the Bible.
So was I. That's where all the contradictory versions of the Christian God come from, after all.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM

15,889 posts, read 8,050,694 times
Quote:
Okay, fair enough. I'm talking about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about the Jesus you read about in the New Testament of the Bible.

And there was no intention in creating the poll to make people out to look like God haters, it was simply out of interest in what people believe about God versus Christians.
I spent 40+ years with that god (the one who required a gruesome sacrifice to satisfy his sense of justice, and now sends people to eternal torment for not believing that he was satisfied by that sacrifice). He was bipolar and he made me crazy. Crazy is not a fun place to be ... as a matter of fact, it's TORMENT. Therefore, an eternity with that god would be ETERNAL TORMENT.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM

2,379 posts, read 2,670,573 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts and feelings about the Judeo-Christian God? Instead of talking about religions and Christians, share your true thoughts about God just like you'd describe someone you know, or kinda know.
Growing up, I imagined God as a grandpa that delegated everything.
I felt close to & believed in him, enough so to even write him a card when I was little.
I prayed regularly to him, by myself & with my family.
I sought to do his will, which I believed was known by receiving a good feeling when thinking about it.

Now...
I see God differently... & I'm not done evolving my understanding of God.
I see God as a Creative principle - an ideal.
I see God as spirituality that is only felt within... "the kingdom of God is within you." -Luke 22
We don't see God as God is, but as we are... & also maybe as our parents were.
Honestly, I feel sad at realizing the illusion & now it's tough to really believe like before.
It's like when you grow up & a younger child wants to play pretend & you can't pretend anymore.

God is love, to me.
Love is hoping & striving for what is best, through trial & error (active faith).
God seems like somewhat of a void... where everything happens, which is why I haven't figured out how to worship just one God... I don't know who God is, except an ever-changing ideal of what is best in each circumstance.

I feel better now, in some ways, because I don't get hurt by illusions that I used to get hurt by. But, I feel a little lost & alone - like there aren't many out there who really want what's best for all concerned - sometimes I don't either. I miss attaching to someone more tangible, like Jesus. Maybe we have spirit guides - or maybe what's more important is functional illusions that work for us, that motivate & inspire us.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:56 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,673,689 times
I think God Moderator cut: delete likes to mess with people and toy with us for his own amusement. Nobody that loves their children would make almost everything pleasurable in life off limits, with the impending threat of eternal torment for breaking the rules. This is abuse, not love.

Jesus, on the other hand, is a really great guy.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-31-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,744,422 times
The creator that I aspire to is not the God of the Judeo-Christian or Muslim set; who seems to be portrayed way to human IMO. I believe God created the universe and set everything in motion but is merely an observer without getting to actively involved (i.e..sending angels, talking to prophets, having a divine son)

Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM

13,941 posts, read 8,856,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
There's only one. The One who created you.

That is a matter of opnion.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 AM

38,050 posts, read 10,359,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Growing up, I imagined God as a grandpa that delegated everything.
I felt close to & believed in him, enough so to even write him a card when I was little.
I prayed regularly to him, by myself & with my family.
I sought to do his will, which I believed was known by receiving a good feeling when thinking about it.

Now...
I see God differently... & I'm not done evolving my understanding of God.
I see God as a Creative principle - an ideal.
I see God as spirituality that is only felt within... "the kingdom of God is within you." -Luke 22
We don't see God as God is, but as we are... & also maybe as our parents were.
Honestly, I feel sad at realizing the illusion & now it's tough to really believe like before.
It's like when you grow up & a younger child wants to play pretend & you can't pretend anymore.

God is love, to me.
Love is hoping & striving for what is best, through trial & error (active faith).
God seems like somewhat of a void... where everything happens, which is why I haven't figured out how to worship just one God... I don't know who God is, except an ever-changing ideal of what is best in each circumstance.

I feel better now, in some ways, because I don't get hurt by illusions that I used to get hurt by. But, I feel a little lost & alone - like there aren't many out there who really want what's best for all concerned - sometimes I don't either. I miss attaching to someone more tangible, like Jesus. Maybe we have spirit guides - or maybe what's more important is functional illusions that work for us, that motivate & inspire us.
You can at least be assured that there are many here in the same situation as you -while still believing in 'God' or at least 'something greater' it isn't the 'Whole world in His hands' figure that was so comforting and is now rather more remote. And of course you wonder just what 'worship should be and what it wants from you -if anything. It is not an easy journey, but it is inescapable and right and worth doing.

We understand and we listen. So don't be reluctant to share. Whichever way you go.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 AM

2,379 posts, read 2,670,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You can at least be assured that there are many here in the same situation as you -while still believing in 'God' or at least 'something greater' it isn't the 'Whole world in His hands' figure that was so comforting and is now rather more remote. And of course you wonder just what 'worship should be and what it wants from you -if anything. It is not an easy journey, but it is inescapable and right and worth doing.

We understand and we listen. So don't be reluctant to share. Whichever way you go.
That's really kind of you, Arequipa. Thank you.

You are so right that it is not an easy journy but it is inescapable & right & I'm hoping worth it.
I've come to the point that I'm finally taking responsibility for how I feel... because it's all based on my perspectives, that I choose (often subconsciously but still, it's my doing). Most of the time, I really am not absolutely, conclusively, beyond a shadow of a doubt sure. I think most of us are just hypothesizing most of the time about some things at least. So, I figure, I might as well make my hypothesizing work for, rather than against me.

You never journey the same way & road twice... & often it's a completely new scene... or rather, a new way of looking at things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality