U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 AM

753 posts, read 303,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
What good is the bible as a source of absolute morals if nobody can seem to interpret it correctly? The end result is that people interpret the morals subjectively regardless if there is supposed to be one “right” way to interpret it. If that one “right” way is not understood or keeps getting misinterpreted, then how does fallible man know what is correct?
To me, this is one of the worst effects of Christianity.

The Torah was given to the Jews, and to the Jews alone. For thousands of years, beginning with Moses and running to today's rabbis, there has a been a system of explanation and interpretation that has remained intact and relevant to today.

In dismissing this system in exchange for a literal reading of scripture coupled with individual interpretation, Christianity has fathered tens of thousands of sects and denominations with significant differences between them. And then it declared that it was a universal mandate to the world.

But it was never meant to be.

The only things that are seen as universal are the seven Noahide laws:
1. Prohibition of Idolatry
2. Prohibition of Murder
3. Prohibition of Theft
4. Prohibition of Sexual immorality (rape, incest, etc.)
5. Prohibition of Blasphemy
6. Prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive
7. Establishment of courts of law

And that's it. All who follow those laws will share in the World to Come, regardless of belief or religion.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM

606 posts, read 343,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
How can Christians think they have some claim to absolute morals, when they have to resort to subjectively interpreting the bible to determine what they think those morals are?
I think a lot of the confusion comes when people start conflating their religion with their moral philosophy, when the two are entirely distinct, for everyone. I am defining "moral philosophy" here as the principles and heuristics you use to determine whether an action or situation is right or moral, and/or the principles and heuristics you use to make novel ethical decisions yourself, which I think is in line with accepted definitions of the term.

Your religion may inform your moral philosophy, but they are two completely separate things.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,153,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Redone?...If God made a Garden, and Humans to tend to it, Protect it, and multiply it out (to expand the Kingdom onto many mansions (Planets) then I would see this as a possible benefit for all...All LIVING>

Now in the making of a Place where Humans and others can abide in harmony....if and when we start to do what God asked of us...or intended us to be.

So..if in the beginning something was made , or done in error to the whole...then we should restore it to the way it is suppose to be, for our benefit, and theirs.....This would mean putting something back, to restore, making amends through repentence, and learning why,...and then taking care not to do it again.....means we learnt something cause we understand the consquences if we disobey...(as they are now before us in this time line, and the bloodshedded history ever since the fall from grace)...

A polluted planet, and bent industrialized world making it so, will not sustain people well for long...and that is now being made....So...redone (EDENS) is more of a forced option coming soon....if they are smart enough to understand that....then the moral of God, and his ethic will be proven either way...which will Glorify God more?...us doing, and there for keeping it alive and us?, or us not doing, and letting it all go to destruction?

That is the fork in the road...one leads to prosparity and eternal life when done sinlessly, shared and cared for,.....the other leads to a end for dollars and change which never happens freely...

"Redone" is the only way to a sustainable eco friendly future.

Sorry not buying it Buddha didn't believe in a higher power so much as he belived & taught people to believe in themselves.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM

5,818 posts, read 4,434,611 times
I'd say the biggest problem with biblical interpretation is that people interpret it to justify what they want it to. Anybody can take a side on an issue and search out a biblical passage out of it's context to justify that position.

I think this is becoming increasingly prevalent within fundamental Christianity, as they stress that their worshippers have a personal relationship with God. As such, they will stress that their worshippers read the bible daily and search out God's direction for their lives.

So instead of having people being guided through biblical study, you have people who are reading and making their own interpretations. IMO, thats a huge prescription for heresy! Sure, they probably have some more formal training from their church, but ultimately, they read a passage, and apply it to their own life, thoughts, opinions, etc. It makes it awfully easy for a person to make God into whoever they want him to be.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,546 posts, read 421,278 times
Various sects view the Bible differently than others, which is why some will use OT laws to justify their beliefs such as being against gay marriage. Every church I've been a part of eschewed the laws of the OT and focus strictly on the NT and Jesus' teachings, while still recognizing the Ten Commandments.

I also follow the teachings of Jesus and try to live my life based on how he would want his followers to behave, i.e. I try to treat others with respect and love. The hot issue right now is gay marriage and how Christianity is an impediment to advancing those right, so it's not surprising that the validity of Christian values is being called into question. However, it's not as simple as claiming that Christians all oppose or hate gay people. Some do, but most don't.

Christians are nowhere nearly perfect; we're ALL sinners. I have plenty of flaws, but as I've re-evaluated my beliefs it's made me into a better, more caring person. I'm inspired to do good based on my faith. Sadly, those who (for example) most loudly oppose gay rights are guilty of plenty of sins themselves and that attitude directly opposes how Jesus taught his followers to act.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 AM

7,432 posts, read 6,690,220 times
Temporarily closed pending further moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.