Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
To begin with, I've always found the Bible to be an amazing literary collection. The problem with the Bible arises on two fronts, both of which occur, not in the Bible itself, but in the people who use the Bible to meet their own ends. Firstly, with the fact that mythological events are taken by some people as having literally occurred. Secondly, the notion that the Bible is a rationally-unified piece of literature.

Faith, by definition, is belief for which there is no rational basis. If one believes in something by faith, that belief cannot be verified as true---without eliminating faith itself. I imagine that, for believers, that is the potential angst surrounding their belief. If it can be proven, no faith is required; and it's quite easy to be believe in that which we can verify. If it can't be verified, the real test of that faith lies in accepting it anyway. The Bible is filled with seemingly supernatural events, some of which can be rationally explained by modern science. The rest of them will simply have to remain in the realm of faith.

While I understand that many believers view the Bible as being "inspired" by a supernatural force; from a purely scholastic perspective, the Bible is a compilation of hugely disparate and subjectively-compiled texts---texts which were written by different people, at different times, and with different motives. The Hebrew Bible (OT) is a mixture of religious/cultural laws, histories, poetry, and prophecy. The Christian Bible (NT) is largely an exhortation to a newly-emerged religious faith. Even within individual books of the Bible, there is great variance and frequent contradiction contained from passage to passage.

Most of the New Testament texts were compiled by a Second Century bishop, Irenaeus. In that process, he intentionally left out texts (mostly of Gnostic origin) which he felt were dangerous to his orthodox view of Christianity. He also discarded texts which challenged traditional social roles (such as those of women) of the time.

In the end, the Bible is a magnificent piece of literature. The OT contains a significant amount of history, mixed in with rituals and mythology of the ancient Hebrews. The NT is filled with social and moral fables which retain a beauty and relevance of their own. What it doesn't contain is an empirical foundation for any religious belief, or a comprehensive "life path" for any of us to follow

For me the bible is two totally different religions rolled into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
"The Word 0f God" Is Jesus. - Rev.19:13

"The Word Became Flesh". - John 1:14

The Bible is about "The Word 0f God".

The Bible Is Not The Word 0f God.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
"The Word 0f God" Is Jesus. - Rev.19:13

"The Word Became Flesh". - John 1:14

The Bible is about "The Word 0f God".

The Bible Is Not The Word 0f God.

And? Your going to have to do better then that.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM

What do you mean?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
What do you mean?

Quoting from the very topic we're talking about doesn't prove anything.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Quoting from the very topic we're talking about doesn't prove anything.
So, you don't want to know what your talking about?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I think the point is that you are making a claim that the Bible is NOT the word of God. In which case what use it is as evidence of anything?

You also appear to be claiming that the 'Word' (whatever that is supposed to be) became manifest as carne is the form of Jesus and it is Jesus who is the Word, not the Bible. However, the Word of God can mean various things. To say otherwise it as absurd as saying that, because God is a lawgiver, he cannot be a creator, too. If the 'Word' (aka spiritual essence) of God became incarnated, that hardly means that God ceased to exist in heaven. Nor does it mean that this heavenly God could not continue to have the Bible put together in accordance with His wishes as he always had done from Moses through Isaiah, Daniel and Haggai.

So essentially 1Reed are asking what you are talking about and I am asking, if not whether you understand what you are talking about rather than pulling kneejerk biblequotes out of a black hole, whether you have thought through what you are saying before posting?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I know exactly what I'm talking about, but your blinded by faith. Do you believe everything you read? Even outside of your faith? Just because it's in print doesn't make it true. Same goes for a man standing on a stage telling that the bible is true, sure your faith & your belief in it says that it is. As a Pagan I understand faith & belief. But my beliefs are not in question here your' is. I'm confident enough in my faith that I don't have the need to preach it to others. Nor the need to make them believe that it's real.
My faith is strong enough to not care what others think or believe about mine. Sadly I think most Christians don't have that kind of faith in thier own belifes.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM

So you talk about The Bible as one, not knowing what it says.

And you talk of those who have beliefs about The Bible,
without understanding what their talking about.

So not wanting to know anything about what's in The Bible.

You REALLY want to get down to what constitutes evidence The Bible Is God's Word?

As a so called 'christian' I just told you I do not believe,
because there is no evidence, The Bible Is God's Word.

You see christians believeing The Bible IS God's Word.
So you can prove them wrong.

Well I agree with you. They are wrong.

The Bible Is Not God's Word.
No where in The Bible does it state it is God's Word.

But it does say Jesus Is God's Word.

So do you want to change your topic to:

What really constitues evidence The Christ Is God's Word?
As this is what The Bible does say.

Is your topic on what someone believes The Bible says?
Or is your topic on what The Bible says?

If you looking for evidence of what people believe The Bible says to prove them wrong?
Then go to 'doctrine of men'.

If your looking for evidence of what The Bible says to prove you don't believe it?
Then I can help you.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Ok, Revelationer... Let's keep this simple. Your line is a theological one that Jesus is the 'Word' of God.

Now, what you take that to mean is not relevant to the thread which is asking what evidence there is that the Bible accurately states the views, memories and opinions of God.

You either don't think that the Bible is that or you do not really care. If you are not interested in that aspect then I don't see that you have anything to contribute to this thread. Start one about in what way Jesus is the 'Word' of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality