Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,267,598 times

Advertisements

Good points, Dolfan.

Your post, IMO, was not inflammatory, simply stated your POV. As you stated, it is up to us if we choose to respond or not. I find it ironic that the responses to this, most of them negative and accusing Dolfan of accusing, were more accusing than the OP....

Take it or leave it...

(Good points too, Alpha! What are we to do?)

Last edited by cg81; 10-05-2007 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: added last sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,418,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
But WCRob.. it is a message board.. I mean don't people have a right to respond in a manner they seem fit as long as its with in the TOS?
Of course they do. That's why I was warning him.

But it also gets really old when you can't say something in here without people jumping all over your words like a swarm of disturbed bees. I mean, honestly - is it really necessary to post something like "I would suggest you reread your OP and reformulate the conclusion. (Sounds like a blatant contradiction, sprinkled with a bit of Pascal's Wager.)"...?? To me, that's an insult, and basically carries undertones of a challenge to what Dolfan believes to be the truth. I mean, for a group of people who aspire so much for Christians to accept what everyone else believes, why can't they do the same in return? So I was warning Dolfan that this is what he will face by posting his beliefs in here.

Oh...I almost forgot.....

Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM

679 posts, read 1,438,544 times
There's a point to saying anything or else you wouldn't say it. If something is said here, it's reasonable to want to know what the reason was. If the comment is disagreeable, we'll say so, just like Rob disagreed with b. frank for daring to disagree with someone.

Quote:
I mean, if you love kids, see some kids on a rail road track and see that a train is coming, do you say "Kids get off the track!" or do you say "Hey, they can play wherever they want to play."
What if you're delusional and there's no train coming. Switch shoes with the kids for a second and see how annoying it is to have someone yell at you to get off the track.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,063,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Of course they do. That's why I was warning him.

But it also gets really old when you can't say something in here without people jumping all over your words like a swarm of disturbed bees. I mean, honestly - is it really necessary to post something like "I would suggest you reread your OP and reformulate the conclusion. (Sounds like a blatant contradiction, sprinkled with a bit of Pascal's Wager.)"...?? To me, that's an insult, and basically carries undertones of a challenge to what Dolfan believes to be the truth. I mean, for a group of people who aspire so much that we accept what everyone else believes, why can't they do the same in return? So I was warning Dolfan that this is what he will face by posting his beliefs in here.

Oh...I almost forgot.....
Is it an insult to you or to Dolfan?

Also understand that as nice as it may be the following could be taken as an insult..

"Just don't go into eternity without a clue as to what might happen."

I'm not saying it was right or wrong... but again it is a message board and if you post your belief you are opening yourself up to those who agree with you and disagree with you.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I understand that it may appear that way b. frank, but can I just ask you to switch shoes with a Christian believer for a second.

Let's say you really believe what we believe.

That you have an earnest concern for the eternal well-being of others and you are burdened for them SINCERELY.

Then don't comments like this seem almost inevitable?

I mean, if you love kids, see some kids on a rail road track and see that a train is coming, do you say "Kids get off the track!" or do you say "Hey, they can play wherever they want to play."

Maybe, just maybe, some of us are motivated by sincere concern and brotherly love rather than some of the other things you may have encountered.

Just a thought....
ARGH!!! I keep wanting to rep you, but I have to spread it around. Funny thing is, I thought I was spreading it around lately. Anyway, kudos! I'll rep you when I can.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Is it an insult to you or to Dolfan?

Also understand that as nice as it may be the following could be taken as an insult..

"Just don't go into eternity without a clue as to what might happen."

I'm not saying it was right or wrong... but again it is a message board and if you post your belief you are opening yourself up to those who agree with you and disagree with you.
I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you with some hope of getting the last word in. So on that note........

Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,063,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you with some hope of getting the last word in. So on that note........
o.k.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM

679 posts, read 1,438,544 times
Quote:
You get the last word and leave. LOL
Incidentally, isn't there a rule about no "I'm leaving" declaration posts?

Seriously Rob, I think you have to come to grips with how a normal forum of people with contrary views is supposed to function. People take turns expressing their views and in so doing, are inviting others to agree or disagree. That's how it works.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,877,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
What if you're delusional and there's no train coming. Switch shoes with the kids for a second and see how annoying it is to have someone yell at you to get off the track.
hehehe.

Ok, I'll give you that, but isn't that something akin to an atheist version of Pascal's Wager?

I mean, aren't we rolling dice on whether there is a train or there isn't?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:28 PM

I suppose when the train really DOES come along, it will only be THEN that the kids will hop off the track. My point: Sometimes ya' gotta let people learn the hard way. We can only yell so much before we get a really sore throat. That's the time we shut up and move on. If people get hit by the train, oh well - we tried to warn them.

Just a quick aside: It's funny how you don't have to SEE the train to know it's coming. You can tell by simply placing your ear on the track. Other animals can tell it's coming simply because they feel the vibrations. Hmmmmmmm.........pity humans are so hard headed at times. They have to actually SEE it before they'll recognize it's there. tsk tsk tsk....how many people have been hit by trains because they simply weren't paying attention to the signs of its impending arrival. Or else, they simply don't believe trains exist at all. Wonder why those tracks are there. I guess just for kids to play on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality