U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,623,124 times
The other thing that I consider, is if we are doing it, perhaps many other countries are, as well. There may be a whole secret international drug operation going on with the tacit approval of many of the countries involved.

When Reagan was elected he promised the American people that he would stop the drug problem in the US. That was to be his top priority. Then he was silent about it for a time, and when asked, he said he was investigating.

After a time, he came out with that 'just say no' campaign.

Lame.

I think he found evidence that the battle against the 'evil empire' was being fought with some of this drug money that could not be traced and could finance 'illicit' activities. With the spending of tax dollars there must be some accountability. I think they thought this is a great idea because nobody forces people to take drugs. No wonder there are so few rehab centers and there are such long waiting lists to get inside. This, coupled with the fact that if a person is ever to be drug free it takes at the minimum over 3 stays in rehab, almost guarantees that, unless a person has money and contacts to get into a private facility, most addicts will be a steady source of income for their lives. What could Reagan do then, but to try to get parents to protect their kids with that really lame 'just say no' campaign?

We live in such a screwed up world, but maybe it's our fault for tending to see 'our side' having the white hat and God and the flag and everything good and decent, while whomever is the enemy du jour must represent everything evil.

While the world, and ourselves, are really shades of grey; most of the time, in choosing the lesser of evils we have to get ourselves dirty at times, narrowing the distinction between us and our enemy, adding to the truth of the adage,

'We become what we hate'.

I believe that as long as we get all emotional and teary-eyed at the mention of God and the bible and the flag, we are very susceptible to being led by the nose by religious and political and 'group' leaders. This worked very well for Hitler, and is not something ignored by today's powerful parties. The theory and technique are the same, and only the symbols differ.

So, I get nervous when, as in the speech the other day, a guy running for the Presidency, who proports to follow the bible, says things like God gave freedom to this country. That is just wrong. The bible actually maintained slavery and never fostered freedom. It instructed a servant to be good to his master, to do good work, etc.

'Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's' was an instruction to maintain the status quo, for 'My kingdom is not of this world' and Christians are told not to get involved with issues of this world, but to store up 'treasures in heaven'.

But a comment like that, in a speech, is specifically geared to stir the heart, and it did. Not that I think the guy making the comment is part of a conspiracy. I would have no way of knowing, and I don't think he would be invited to join the club because he does not appear to be too bright.

But, judging from the response of various talk show hosts who call themselves Christian(I am not really sure what that means today), it shows how easily people can be manipulated, by their emotions, into believing untruths. We have that tendency to follow the guy who is saying what we like to hear, even if that is not where he will ultimately lead us.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-07-2007 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,029,719 times
Some articles for your reading to show why Jesus/Christianity is not based on any other deity/religion...

New Testament Influenced by Pagan Religions?

CopyCat Savior Myth?

Confronting the CopyCat Thesis

Last edited by mams1559; 12-07-2007 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: correct links

Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,623,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Some articles for your reading to show why Jesus/Christianity is not based on any other deity/religion...

New Testament Influenced by Pagan Religions?

CopyCat Savior Myth?

Confronting the CopyCat Thesis
I started to read the first, and it describes various early religions and then says, well, these religions do not proclaim that there is only one, true, way to God and that is through Jesus Christ, so this proves that Christianity is unique and not influenced by those religions.

I am sorry, I will not waste my day on such blather. You cannot prove the verity of a book by what the book, itself, claims, but must go to CREDIBLE OUTSIDE sources.

People who claim Christianity stole the concepts of a savior born of a virgin, crucified for sins of others and rose from the dead - that this was a need to consolodate polititical and religious power. Such consolidation would necessitate a claim of being the one and only way, wouldn't it?

Sorry, if the first precept had grabbed me, I would have read further, but if that's the best you can do, it seems as though these writings are merely to preach to the choir, and not to give valid and impartial evidence to outsiders.

It is insulting, really, to be thought so ignorant as to believe such an unscholarly claim as holding any verity.

If you would be kind enough to waddle through all that ____ and paraphrase what actually makes sense to you, perhaps we can converse.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizer View Post
The Jew's borrowed heavely from the much older story of horus, here is a link to just how exact the storys are.
Parallels between the lives of Jesus and Horus, an Egyptian God

Here's the basic gist with more detail in the links:

Horus and the Father as one
Horus, the Father seen in the Son
Horus, light of the world, represented by the symbolical eye, the sign of salvation.
Horus served the way, the truth, the life by name and in person
Horus baptized with water by Anup (Jesus baptized with water by John)
Horus the Good Shepherd
Horus as the Lamb (Jesus as the Lamb)
Horus as the Lion (Jesus as the Lion)
Horus identified with the Tat Cross (Jesus with the cross)
The trinity of Atum the Father, Horus the Son, Ra the Holy Spirit
Horus the avenger (Jesus who brings the sword)
Horus the afflicted one
Horus as life eternal
Twelve followers of Horus as Har-Khutti (Jesus' 12 disciples)
HMMMMMM INTERESTING...I HAVE A TATOO OF THE EYE OF HORUS ON MY BACK..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM

364 posts, read 486,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizer View Post
The Jew's borrowed heavely from the much older story of horus, here is a link to just how exact the storys are.
Parallels between the lives of Jesus and Horus, an Egyptian God

Here's the basic gist with more detail in the links:

Horus and the Father as one
Horus, the Father seen in the Son
Horus, light of the world, represented by the symbolical eye, the sign of salvation.
Horus served the way, the truth, the life by name and in person
Horus baptized with water by Anup (Jesus baptized with water by John)
Horus the Good Shepherd
Horus as the Lamb (Jesus as the Lamb)
Horus as the Lion (Jesus as the Lion)
Horus identified with the Tat Cross (Jesus with the cross)
The trinity of Atum the Father, Horus the Son, Ra the Holy Spirit
Horus the avenger (Jesus who brings the sword)
Horus the afflicted one
Horus as life eternal
Twelve followers of Horus as Har-Khutti (Jesus' 12 disciples)

jsut some though I read from pastor hank hanegraaff he quotes Not only that but liberals have the chronology all wrong most mysteries flourish long after the closing of the canon of scripture thus it would be far more accurate to say that the mysteries were influence by Christianty then the other away around.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 AM

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/copycatwho1.html

I thought was pretty interesting .

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

http://www.rationalchristianity.net/copycat.html

also Most of those cults in that time period most cults doucment of them do not date back more then 3 century.

and this

Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I started to read the first, and it describes various early religions and then says, well, these religions do not proclaim that there is only one, true, way to God and that is through Jesus Christ, so this proves that Christianity is unique and not influenced by those religions.

I am sorry, I will not waste my day on such blather. You cannot prove the verity of a book by what the book, itself, claims, but must go to CREDIBLE OUTSIDE sources.

People who claim Christianity stole the concepts of a savior born of a virgin, crucified for sins of others and rose from the dead - that this was a need to consolodate polititical and religious power. Such consolidation would necessitate a claim of being the one and only way, wouldn't it?

Sorry, if the first precept had grabbed me, I would have read further, but if that's the best you can do, it seems as though these writings are merely to preach to the choir, and not to give valid and impartial evidence to outsiders.

It is insulting, really, to be thought so ignorant as to believe such an unscholarly claim as holding any verity.

If you would be kind enough to waddle through all that ____ and paraphrase what actually makes sense to you, perhaps we can converse.

Then I guess anything that is against mine belief I should not pay attention to such blather . you seem little basis

look at the stuff posted most of it is out side sources. what I posted does not just say the bible says it so its true it exam ams the cults to see what they did match to anything to the NT.

Plus can anyone quote or lead me to a site that has these gods attributes in any egypt doucment soruces dating before jesus?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 AM

seems someone else also quote some same sites why will you not read it?

alot of people use the excuse well we already know the christians are just saying this because they believe their bible is right.

why do not you exam the sites instead of pushing them off with that old excuse they will say anything because their bible says its right.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 AM

Can plz post where it says that?

I mean even if it did it still haves informations still worth studying over from out side sources.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/copycathub.html

since you stop at the first link read this one the first thing your read is text outside the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality