Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM

81 posts, read 127,664 times

Advertisements

I have studied many religions and all of them have the same timeline:

1. God appears for some people and a religion starts
2. He makes some miracles and holy scriptures are written about the God or person in question
3. After this the God is never seen or heard from again

I'm not just talking about the big religions here but all of them. There are according to studies around 10,000 religions and I haven't seen a single one where the so called God appears after the beginning of the religion. Here and there you can hear some Moderator cut: deleted cases say that they have spoken to God or that he appeared to them but even other religions people think that is just craziness.

Why does God just disappear in the thousands of religions out there just after the religion is created. To me the answer is obvious because no gods exists but I wonder what religious people say.

I think I know the answer from Christians but think about the other religions out there. God is nowhere to be found. Where is he?

By the way, thousands upon thousands of groups have predicted that Jesus would return on different specific dates. Guess what these thousands of groups have in common......They have all been wrong.

Thousands upon thousands of groups have predicted the end of the world on a specific date....Guess what these thousands of groups have in common......They have all been wrong.

When will this gullible world grow up.....

Here is an interesting study from the respected Gallup research center how important religion is in different countries:

Importance of religion by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (clickable link)

Respect to Scandinavia (Norway, Denmark, Finland & Sweden)

There is still hope after reading this about: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

BBC News - Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says (clickable link)

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it"

Last edited by june 7th; 09-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Red is reserved for moderator actions within posts. Please use any other color. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,341,005 times
For the Jews, he never disappeared. I see evidence of his existence every single day. For instance, when I wake up in the morning, my soul has been replaced in my body for another day. G-d did that. And as I type, I can see - yep, also G-d. Baruch Hashem!

My suspicion is folks from other religions feel like I do.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:20 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
For the Jews, he never disappeared. I see evidence of his existence every single day. For instance, when I wake up in the morning, my soul has been replaced in my body for another day. G-d did that. And as I type, I can see - yep, also G-d. Baruch Hashem!

Just speaking for myself. I feel the same.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM

81 posts, read 127,664 times
Quote:

Well, I never heard that one before That is a silly argument in my opinion but let's agree that we disagree....But I mean any miracles or things like god did in the beginning of the religion...You would think that he would appear or create a miracle in any of these 10,000 religions but the answer is of course a big......no.......

Last edited by johnsweeting; 09-13-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
Well, I never heard that one before That is a silly argument in my opinion but let's agree that we disagree....But I mean any miracles or things like god did in the beginning of the religion...You would think that he would appear or create a miracle in any of these 10,000 religions but the answer is of course a big......no.......
There's a reason for that

Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,501,274 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just speaking for myself. I feel the same.
But this just raises further questions. If you both, along with other religious people, feel the everyday power of God/Gods, then why the discrepancies between you and other religious peoples about the nature of God, or the importance of God/Gods?

It seems there are a few possibilities here:

1. One of you is right, and truly feels the presence of God on a daily basis. The other is wrong, and deluded/hopeful/imagining things that simply aren't there.
  2. You are both right, and you are both feeling the presence of the Abrahamic God. However, this would mean that the Abrahamic god isn't particularly picky about religion, so why really get into the whole "organized religion" aspect if it is readily apparent that the specifics don't matter. It would certainly mean that the related holy books are unreliable. If we extend this to people who feel the presence of God/Gods to believers in non-abrahamic gods, then it really doesn't matter, as God or Gods will take just about any stance and seemingly will be cool with it.
  3. You're both wrong, and what you feel isn't really God.
Perhaps there are more explanations that I'm not seeing, and would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I just don't understand how religious people can take their own personal belief that they feel or see god on a daily basis, and somehow..discount?... the same claims from people with beliefs in god that are seemingly opposed to their own view. How do you know that your personal relationship with god is the real deal, when millions of other people also have personal relationships with different or opposed gods? I know that the basic answer is "faith" but certainly it must be disconcerting to see millions say the same thing about faith and belief in their particular god.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,921,542 times
You probably never studies the witness of Christians , but your knowledge or vision of Jesus and His church is worldly, .... As all Christians who have Holy Spirit on their person who is a heavenly being who is the Spirit of God , and Holy Spirit is has not disappeared from the Promise of the Father God at the cross of Christ, and will abide in the followers of Jesus until he comes to claim the earth which is His inheritance of authority ...... See you get your vision of Christianity from looking in , where you should get a vision of Christianity looking out to a lost world where there is poor vision of truth ...Sure the religions of the world may have had a witness of God or deceptions of worldly spirits of the earth and these spirits are not with them today ....BUT Christians Have the Spirit of God on their bodies when they converted to Jesus Christ and turn of sin which is not of God , and this Spirit of God does not disappear and is there with the followers through out their lives and beyond with their soul being brought to Heaven by this Spirit of God who is called Jesus Holy Spirit .....

Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
But this just raises further questions. If you both, along with other religious people, feel the everyday power of God/Gods, then why the discrepancies between you and other religious peoples about the nature of God, or the importance of God/Gods?

It seems there are a few possibilities here:

1. One of you is right, and truly feels the presence of God on a daily basis. The other is wrong, and deluded/hopeful/imagining things that simply aren't there.
  2. You are both right, and you are both feeling the presence of the Abrahamic God. However, this would mean that the Abrahamic god isn't particularly picky about religion, so why really get into the whole "organized religion" aspect if it is readily apparent that the specifics don't matter. It would certainly mean that the related holy books are unreliable. If we extend this to people who feel the presence of God/Gods to believers in non-abrahamic gods, then it really doesn't matter, as God or Gods will take just about any stance and seemingly will be cool with it.
  3. You're both wrong, and what you feel isn't really God.
Perhaps there are more explanations that I'm not seeing, and would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I just don't understand how religious people can take their own personal belief that they feel or see god on a daily basis, and somehow..discount?... the same claims from people with beliefs in god that are seemingly opposed to their own view. How do you know that your personal relationship with god is the real deal, when millions of other people also have personal relationships with different or opposed gods? I know that the basic answer is "faith" but certainly it must be disconcerting to see millions say the same thing about faith and belief in their particular god.
For the majority of us who follow any of the 4 Abrahamic faiths we seem to be in agreement about the primary attributes of God(SWT). Our differences are mostly centered around the proper way of worship more than the Nature of God(swt) Although we do have some within each group that seem to deviate from everybody else.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 PM

17,622 posts, read 13,433,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You probably never studies the witness of Christians , but your knowledge or vision of Jesus and His church is worldly, .... As all Christians who have Holy Spirit on their person who is a heavenly being who is the Spirit of God , and Holy Spirit is has not disappeared from the Promise of the Father God at the cross of Christ, and will abide in the followers of Jesus until he comes to claim the earth which is His inheritance of authority ...... See you get your vision of Christianity from looking in , where you should get a vision of Christianity looking out to a lost world where there is poor vision of truth ...Sure the religions of the world may have had a witness of God or deceptions of worldly spirits of the earth and these spirits are not with them today ....BUT Christians Have the Spirit of God on their bodies when they converted to Jesus Christ and turn of sin which is not of God , and this Spirit of God does not disappear and is there with the followers through out their lives and beyond with their soul being brought to Heaven by this Spirit of God who is called Jesus Holy Spirit .....
Once again, you can claim to have God inside your heart, soul, brain, left earlobe or whatever, but the OP is pointing out that God used to be more over overt in making appearances and interacting with people historically.

The idea that God now works in some sort of internal psychic transformation only (as you describe) only proves his point.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,501,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For the majority of us who follow any of the 4 Abrahamic faiths we seem to be in agreement about the primary attributes of God(SWT). Our differences are mostly centered around the proper way of worship more than the Nature of God(swt) Although we do have some within each group that seem to deviate from everybody else.
I understand that. What I'm bothered by is the fact that members of all 4 Abrahamic faiths (and non-Abrahamic faiths) each claim to have personal relationships with God/be in the presence of God. This means that either God doesn't really care all that much about which faith you believe in (in which case, we can logically throw out all holy books, since they don't really matter. As long as you're sort of kind of on the right track, maybe, you get to feel the awesome presence of the lord).

To me, this seems paradoxical, especially considering the, well, rather specific claims made by the Abrahamic god in the various holy books ascribed to him. I don't see how any member of an Abrahamic faith, based on the evidence provided by the holy books, can rightly believe the claims that members of other Abrahamic faiths really feel the true presence of God. You are right that there seems to be some agreement about the primary aspects of God, but one of the primary aspects that you all seem to agree on is that God is not pleased when you worship the wrong way. So how then can you accept the claims of members of other Abrahamic faiths to truly feel the presence of God when their beliefs contradict your notion of what God is really and truly like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality