Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ah. That would be a shame but, it might be easy enough to write on a scrap of blank papyrus. Now i look at it, the writing does look rather cramped, as though somebody was trying to as mich as possible onto a small scrap. I recall that texts tended to be more spacious.

However, even antiquity had scribblers and no doubt some examination can be made to see what date the ink seems to be.
Thanks Arequipa. I got a chuckle out of the "scribbler". Yes, it could be from an ancient scribbler. It could go either way. The earliest documentation about the fragment is said to from the esrly 1980s. I'm sure an ink test could give some strong clues as to dating. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. If it's authentic, it still won't settle the issue of whether or not Jesus had a wife. All sorts of tales cropped up during the early formation of the Christian religion. It seems like everyone and their brother had a version of events claimed to have taken place. Buddhism has the same problem in that there are all sorts of different views, different legends, and claims about 'genuine' artifacts that have never been viewe or examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There has never been any doubt of his heterosexuality. He was without sin. Homosexual behavior is a sin. There was no perversion in His Godly nature.
Not everyone agrees with your opinion regarding homosexuality.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks Arequipa. I got a chuckle out of the "scribbler". Yes, it could be from an ancient scribbler. It could go either way. The earliest documentation about the fragment is said to from the esrly 1980s. I'm sure an ink test could give some strong clues as to dating. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. If it's authentic, it still won't settle the issue of whether or not Jesus had a wife. All sorts of tales cropped up during the early formation of the Christian religion. It seems like everyone and their brother had a version of events claimed to have taken place. Buddhism has the same problem in that there are all sorts of different views, different legends, and claims about 'genuine' artifacts that have never been viewe or examined.

Ta. We shall have to keep our eyes open. It would be a pity to add this to the sorry list of hoaxes, but we have to be prepared.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM

584 posts, read 597,586 times
Quote:
Ah. That would be a shame but, it might be easy enough to write on a scrap of blank papyrus. Now i look at it, the writing does look rather cramped, as though somebody was trying to as mich as possible onto a small scrap. I recall that texts tended to be more spacious.
Please see the response to Question #2 here. It amazes me that a rank amateur such as you or I would amass 'recollections' and presume to pass judgement on questions of authenticity.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A Harvard University professor on Tuesday unveiled a fourth-century fragment of papyrus she said is the only existing ancient text quoting Jesus explicitly referring to having a wife.

Read more: Harvard scholar's discovery suggests Jesus had a wife | Fox News
The citation by Fox News has to make you suspicious right off the bat. How is it that they seem to report things nobody else does?

Besides, let's face it: a fourth-century fragment of papyrus? Four centuries after Jesus died, and only this one fragment to assert that he had a wife? Doesn't sound like a very solid argument.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
Please see the response to Question #2 here. It amazes me that a rank amateur such as you or I would amass 'recollections' and presume to pass judgement on questions of authenticity.
You have my permission to be amazed. I shall try not to let it disturb my slumber.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You have my permission to be amazed. I shall try not to let it disturb my slumber.
Ah! You were groggy! That explains much.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The citation by Fox News has to make you suspicious right off the bat. How is it that they seem to report things nobody else does?
Maybe you just weren't paying attention. I've seen it reported in a number of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality