Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM

584 posts, read 597,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Of course the main Character, being a supposed Messiah, would quote from Messiah David's Psalms, what else would he quote to give him a little bit of Davidian legitimacy?
That David authored the psalms is folklore at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
That David authored the psalms is folklore at best.
I've heard that before. But it's not like Rabbi Jeshua was some kind of scriptural historian, he would have had the common beliefs of the day...

David at least commissioned the Psalms in his name, I would think. Why else would they talk about his enemies? It would only be a waste of propaganda if the Psalms were about someone bygone in history... unless it was to legitimize the Priests by them pretending Messiah David supported their Religious institution.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
David at least commissioned the Psalms in his name, I would think.
Then you are not thinking clearly, nor is your thinking informed by current scholarship.

It is, of course, virtually impossible to prove that David wrote note of the psalms, but there is very good reason to believe the he did not write specific psalms, including Psalm 145 - one of the psalms that bares his name. And, once one acknowledges such pseudepigrapha, one eliminates any grounds for claiming Davidic authorship.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
Then you are not thinking clearly, nor is your thinking informed by current scholarship.

It is, of course, virtually impossible to prove that David wrote note of the psalms, but there is very good reason to believe the he did not write specific psalms, including Psalm 145 - one of the psalms that bares his name. And, once one acknowledges such pseudepigrapha, one eliminates any grounds for claiming Davidic authorship.
You don't think David had any authority over what went into the Jewish idol scriptures that bore his name? Would the Priests be that malignant and corrupt? What reason would the priests/poets have in insulting the enemies of David without him knowing about it? Propaganda with the people would make sense, but one has to be truly corrupt to go into details of historical/concurrent tensions and spin them in ones favor... I mean, that sort of goes beyond using David's name and authority into actually forging it. I think David at least reviewed/edited the poems (before they were further edited by motivated priests/scribes).

And no, I'm not a student of Bible scholarship at all. Nor am I a student of religious scholarship. It's really just a hobby. So what is wrong with Psalm 145?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-28-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
... I'm not a student of Bible scholarship at all. Nor am I a student of religious scholarship.
Understood. What I do not understand is how someone admittedly devoid of such scholarship would feel comfortable in saying things such as: "I think David at least reviewed/edited the poems." When it comes to ranking chocolate versus strawberry versus vanilla ice cream, all opinion are created equal. That is not the case in many, if not most, other areas.

Quote:
So what is wrong with Psalm 145?
Absolutely nothing ... other than the fact that it was almost certainly composed during or after the Babylonian exile.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46

Now Christians are oft to cite the alleged death bed confessions of atheist but these reported last words of Jesus raise in mind an interesting question. Did Jesus have a "death bed" realization that his delusion about being the son god finally give way to reality?
He was still suffering great pain in body and mind because he was flesh and blood and as human as you and I who question things of God whether we are believers or not.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
He was still suffering great pain in body and mind because he was flesh and blood and as human as you and I who question things of God whether we are believers or not.
He could raise people from the dead, yet he couldn't alleviate his own suffering?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Of course He could have "called 10,00angels", but His love for us was greater than what he was suffering.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-29-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Of course He could have "called 10,00angels", but His love for us was greater than what he was suffering.
I'm sorry, but that strikes me as being more than a little sick ...
A mother walks into the room and sees her child look up expectantly. She wants to sweep the child into her arms with all the warmth and compassion that so frequently characterizes motherhood. But first she removes her shoes and scatters handfuls of tacks and glass shards upon the hardwood floor. She then approaches the child, crying out in agony with each step, knowing that in this way the child will better appreciate her love.
... what's wrong with this picture?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Jay,

Most mothers would walk through fire, over nails and run the gauntelet to save their child from a death sentence..because she loves him/her..that's all..
I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that I thought Jesus suffering was to make me appreciate Him. It only showed me a clear picture of what pure love is.

According to the bible ( which I do not take literal, just wanted you to know that at one time I did)
Just so you know, I no longer carry any label to associate my beliefs with anyone else..I am only a believer.

Anyway He didn't die so we would appreciate him.. He died because He wanted us to live eternally..before that, man thought God required something of a "sacrifice" in the form of an unblemished perfect sacrifice either animal or human to in order to please Him. Jesus became our final sacrifice in the form of His perfection (sinlessness) taking on our imperfections (sin) showing man that god was not the fearful, hateful, dictator they had been taught in the past.

That is as much as I can say simply because I have no debating skills nor any need to change anyone's opinion or religious principles

The above is once again jmho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality