Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,456,579 times

Advertisements

I'm an atheist and don't believe in any theories about an afterlife, although if I did, the one that would made the most sense to me was explained as follows:

All the just and unjust will experience the palpable presence of God. To the just and godly it will be paradise. To the wicked and ungodly the same experience will be unbearable. As an analogy: an honest man and a bank robber don't have the same reaction to the sight of a police car.

What all theories about eternal reward/punishment lack (aside from any proof that personal immortality exists at all, of course) is an explanation of why repentance is not possible after death. (And don't bother citing the Bible; a Bible verse is not an explanation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,328,283 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that a belief in hell makes a mockery of the Creator. This would be like a man telling a woman that he loves her, but if she rejects that love, he will torture/kill her. If a man actually does such a terrible thing, the law says that he must be punished, and rightfully so, and yet, we think nothing of attributing such awful behaviour to God! Why in the world do we think that God would act in such a way?
My thoughts as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,313,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm an atheist and don't believe in any theories about an afterlife, although if I did, the one that would made the most sense to me was explained as follows:

All the just and unjust will experience the palpable presence of God. To the just and godly it will be paradise. To the wicked and ungodly the same experience will be unbearable. As an analogy: an honest man and a bank robber don't have the same reaction to the sight of a police car.

What all theories about eternal reward/punishment lack (aside from any proof that personal immortality exists at all, of course) is an explanation of why repentance is not possible after death. (And don't bother citing the Bible; a Bible verse is not an explanation.)
Rather than the policeman in your analogy, I would prefer to use perfect love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality