Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,881,971 times

Advertisements

I am a former Mormon. I think this webpage does a good job addressing statements made by church leaders regarding whether exalted Mormons will get their own planet. The site shows that the modern church claims it does not have an official doctrinal position on the subject, and it shows all of the statements made by the Church's prophets and apostles implying that exalted Mormons will become gods and have their own planets throughout the years. And in full disclosure, the site that hosts the page is a Christian ministry that is critical of Mormonism.

Will Exalted Mormons Get Their Own Spirit Children and Planets? | Mormonism Research Ministry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM

27,892 posts, read 29,695,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am a former Mormon. I think this webpage does a good job addressing statements made by church leaders regarding whether exalted Mormons will get their own planet. The site shows that the modern church claims it does not have an official doctrinal position on the subject, and it shows all of the statements made by the Church's prophets and apostles implying that exalted Mormons will become gods and have their own planets throughout the years. And in full disclosure, the site that hosts the page is a Christian ministry that is critical of Mormonism.

Will Exalted Mormons Get Their Own Spirit Children and Planets? | Mormonism Research Ministry
If I ever become a goddess, I'm not going to be accepting planets from anybody. I'm just going to be creating my own universe. That way I'd get exactly what I wanted.

Here, for those interested is an LDS-Church site, Mormonism 101 FAQ that may answer most of the commonly answered questions about the Church.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:41 AM

27,892 posts, read 29,695,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Okay I have a Mormon question about this too.

Will you please give us some scripture about this question? thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
Does Mormon theology teach that he has his own world and his own spirit wife?
I'm getting ready to leave town for four days and still have to pack. I'm supposed to leave the house in an hour and twenty minutes. Gotta go. I'll get back to these questions on Saturday evening or Sunday.

Rev Writer... You want scripture from the Bible or the Book of Mormon or both?
Rural Miss... Are you referring to God the Father or to the Son?

Bye for now. Going hiking in beautiful southern Utah!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,575,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, Mormons believe Jesus was the fully divine Son of God, even though He did have a mortal mother. (Sorry if that's what you meant, and I just misinterpreted what you said.)
It's exactly what I meant. Hence- half deity as he was the son of God and Mary.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
So does Mormon theology teach that Jesus has his own place? Or does he still live at home with Mom and Dad?
There is no official Mormon doctrine on this. Many Mormons have never even considered the question. But, when I was a Mormon, I believed that Jesus and his wives do live on their own celestialized planet and are having spirit children right now.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,913,695 times
Thanks X, that speaks volumes, of which I should not quote.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,007,509 times
I'd certainly hope that when i die there will be more to my afterlife than the mundane task of running or ruling over a planet.. Is that all that Mormons aspire to in their afterlives?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM

419 posts, read 432,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm getting ready to leave town for four days and still have to pack. I'm supposed to leave the house in an hour and twenty minutes. Gotta go. I'll get back to these questions on Saturday evening or Sunday.

Rev Writer... You want scripture from the Bible or the Book of Mormon or both?
Rural Miss... Are you referring to God the Father or to the Son?

Bye for now. Going hiking in beautiful southern Utah!
Hope you have a great trip.

Yes---I was speaking in reference to the Son -- does he have his own place to live with his wife(s) or does he still live with his parents?

I'm also curious how a family stays united after exaltation. If I'm a temple Mormon and I'm exalted and live in eternity with my wife and kids...what happens when they reach exaltation? Do they have their own worlds? Do we just have a family dinner once a week at my planet?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd certainly hope that when i die there will be more to my afterlife than the mundane task of running or ruling over a planet.. Is that all that Mormons aspire to in their afterlives?
Although I don't believe in Mormonism anymore, I still think it is a pretty cool afterlife (a lot better than singing praises to Jesus all of the time for eternity). Look, with Mormonism, you get to become a god or goddess, your family is still intact (you continue to have your relationships with your spouse, kids, parents), you get to create worlds and populate them with your spirit children who you will train up to become gods themselves. It gives purpose to all of the attributes, skills, and experiences of your earth life because they were all helping you to be able to relate to your spirit children during their mortal lives and preparing you to become the perfect parent/god, just like your Father/God is.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm also curious how a family stays united after exaltation. If I'm a temple Mormon and I'm exalted and live in eternity with my wife and kids...what happens when they reach exaltation? Do they have their own worlds? Do we just have a family dinner once a week at my planet?
I always imagined it to be like empty-nesters here on earth. Your earthly kids are still your kids when they are all grown up and have their own planet, etc. I suppose you could spend as much time together as you wanted to. But, a great deal of your time for all of you would be tending to your spirit children that you are preparing for their own mortal life experiences on other worlds that you would create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality