Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM

419 posts, read 435,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
NO! There is no such thing, for the very simple reason gods and all the rest of the trappings of the ancient superstition are just that, ancient superstitions from a time when little was known about the real world and that lack of knowledge created a great fear.

Today we know the "why and how" of things that created the fears in the past, yet to continue to cling to these superstitions, Moderator cut: edit
I've been trying for weeks now on the science threads to have an atheist tell me how the universe got here. No one can. Until you can, I think you're full of hot air.

Of course, you have the right to believe your silly superstitions. I will tolerate that. Can you tolerate my views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
Some are. Some are not. Nevertheless, the thread is about priests and religious leaders. Rabbis are religious leaders.
A little more than that - are priests/religious leaders divinely appointed? Rabbis are regarded as the equivalent of Priests in other religions, but, as i say, they are not quite the same.A sort pf mix of theologian and lawyer, though they lead religious services, though in fact the synagogue ruler can do the same -or anyone can be given the privilege of conducting the Jewish prayers.

Quote:
I heard differently.
I'm willing to be corrected, but I gather that the Kohens are regarded as the family appointed by God to be His priests. Priests I take as divinely appointed and perhaps even Holy because I recall (Josephus) that they had to be trained in building as only they could be allowed to build the 2nd temple. As I say, the calling fell into abeyance after the destruction of the temple and religion became (perforce) centred in synagogues.

Certainly welcome and inputs from experts in that area.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM

73 posts, read 46,138 times
So does the Pope speak for God?

Is the Pope's word the truth and must it be obeyed?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
The pope is like the POTUS where the office should be respected but the person - meh.

The official title of the Pope is the Vicar of Christ, Vicarius Filii Dei

The word Christ means anointed one so one can extrapolate this anyway one chooses. Jesus and Christ are not interchangeable although many folk do. Jesus Christ is again a title of Jesus, the anointed one.

If you see where I am gong with this, being the vicar of the anointed one and the typical church hierarchy, it can be construed as blasphemous. Ergo, the pope "is god"

It really does not matter as god is a man made invention. The pope is elected by a vote of cardinals and bishops and taken the current incumbent, it is hardly likely there was any divine appointment with his record covering up the priest abuse scandal.

Easy to knock the RCC but we see so many other "falls from grace" of evangelical pastors so it is not limited to the RCC.

Again one must ask, if god exists how does the "anointed ones" fall soooo short of the (alleged) teachings of Jesus? We always hear the excuse man is fallible but if one takes the OT at face value, YHWH would not be amused and the fact he/it does nothing to prevent any of this from happening suggests he is only the figment of men's collective imaginations.

I find it weird that we atheists hold these clergy to a higher standard/expectation than their followers do. Even the god of the bible falls horribly short of our expectations, he should do better based on the biblical track record of supplying manna and quail to the Exodusees and Jesus feeding 4000+ and 5000+ from pithy available resources yet, in Africa, a kid dies every 6 seconds from starvation. I guess god does not like black folk?

Starving African infants

Last edited by SeekerSA; 10-02-2012 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 AM

73 posts, read 46,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Even the god of the bible falls horribly short of our expectations, he should do better based on the biblical track record of supplying manna and quail to the Exodusees and Jesus feeding 4000+ and 5000+ from pithy available resources yet, in Africa, a kid dies every 6 seconds from starvation. I guess god does not like black folk?

He sure does not.

Because not only the famines but also the slavery issues of the past.

White man lorded it over the black man, often in the name of Christian religion.

So why would God and the priests allow this?

All seems a little suspect to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 AM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Rabbis are regarded as the equivalent of Priests in other religions, but, as i say, they are not quite the same.A sort pf mix of theologian and lawyer, ...
Not the rabbis I know. Not the rabbi at my synagogue. Please consider the possibility that I know something about my religion and its leadership.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Not the rabbis I know. Not the rabbi at my synagogue. Please consider the possibility that I know something about my religion and its leadership.
Sorry, that line wasn't well explained. I meant to say that other religions suppose Rabbis to be the equivalent of a priest, but this is a misconception. A Rabbi is learned in the Torah and acts like a sort of Torah - lawyer but is not a priest - though synagogues generally expect him to arrange and conduct services as part of his job. And if a Temple priest was holy (you haven't confirmed or denied that) a Rabbi isn't any more than any other man. Just more learned in the law.

Now if this is wrong, I trust you will explain where and not just say 'That's not what I heard, and I know what I'm talking about'.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 AM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Sorry, that line wasn't well explained. I meant to say that other religions suppose Rabbis to be the equivalent of a priest, but this is a misconception. A Rabbi is learned in the Torah and acts like a sort of Torah - lawyer but is not a priest - though synagogues generally expect him to arrange and conduct services as part of his job.
Well said. Sorry to have misunderstood the previous remarks.

Quote:
And if a Temple priest was holy (you haven't confirmed or denied that) a Rabbi isn't any more than any other man. Just more learned in the law.
A problem here is that 'holy' has come to mean something different. Kadosh (holy) means something closer to "set aside for religious purposes". In this sense the Priest was certainly 'holy', but I know of nothing to suggest that a priest was likely to be godlier or more inerrant that those around him. He was a merely a religious functionary with an honored function.

So, with respect to the thread's title, it would probably be better to say that the priestly function was divinely appointed.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
All in caps! Oh, my, he must be really, really, really, really certain.
YES I am

Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
I've been trying for weeks now on the science threads to have an atheist tell me how the universe got here. No one can. Until you can, I think you're full of hot air.

Of course, you have the right to believe your silly superstitions
. I will tolerate that. Can you tolerate my views?
Now why would you say that, your last post in the science area is about Windows 8

That's rich, holding a book that is pure fairy tales and superstitions from cover to cover. Guess you have to play that card, for you have the whole deck in your hand.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 10-02-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality