U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Boise
2,008 posts, read 2,968,477 times
Reputation: 731

Advertisements

This may be sort of long... sorry. now before i start, i don't apply this philosophy to my daily living, i am more trying to understand the person on the other side of the fence. this is only an idea i had, not preaching against religion; think of it as more of a question.

anyhow, i notice that when people ask "how can an all loving god allow evil to exist?"

they reply is usually something along the lines of "well, without evil, one wouldn't know what good really is (if all you ate was cake, you wouldn't really appreciate cake as much as someone who only ate onions)"

so then this lead me to ask....

could good even exist without evil? or rather, does the existence of good depend on the existence of evil and vice versa?

as i thought about this i kind of got to a fork in the road. fork A) if they are reliant on each other, neither is superior to the other (which would change our expected representations of god and the devil and all that ensues) and one will lead to the other from time to time. if they are not i look towards path B) which leads me to believe that the necessity of evil to contrast and therefore understand and appreciate good is more of a convenient excise than an answer.

so keep in mind that i am no philosopher, and i am sure that my reasoning could have a few holes in it. and again, this is more of a question than an assertion of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,259,626 times
Reputation: 6904
Good and evil are relative terms, only labels without definitions. What is good to one person, may be evil to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Boise
2,008 posts, read 2,968,477 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good and evil are relative terms, only labels without definitions. What is good to one person, may be evil to another.
well. that is the way i see it myself, although there are some things that are "evil" without a doubt (rape, murder, you know the usual). but yeah, i am a gray area type of guy.

mostly i was trying to get to the bottom of this by the terms and definitions of the people who apply this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 6,064,583 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
This may be sort of long... sorry. now before i start, i don't apply this philosophy to my daily living, i am more trying to understand the person on the other side of the fence. this is only an idea i had, not preaching against religion; think of it as more of a question.

anyhow, i notice that when people ask "how can an all loving god allow evil to exist?"

they reply is usually something along the lines of "well, without evil, one wouldn't know what good really is (if all you ate was cake, you wouldn't really appreciate cake as much as someone who only ate onions)"

so then this lead me to ask....

could good even exist without evil? or rather, does the existence of good depend on the existence of evil and vice versa?

as i thought about this i kind of got to a fork in the road. fork A) if they are reliant on each other, neither is superior to the other (which would change our expected representations of god and the devil and all that ensues) and one will lead to the other from time to time. if they are not i look towards path B) which leads me to believe that the necessity of evil to contrast and therefore understand and appreciate good is more of a convenient excise than an answer.

so keep in mind that i am no philosopher, and i am sure that my reasoning could have a few holes in it. and again, this is more of a question than an assertion of fact.

evil is nothing more than the absence of good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 457,686 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
evil is nothing more than the absence of good
Isn't this a bit like saying that the default setting of the universe is darkness, which is only penetrated occasionally by light? If it is, your argument is flawed by analogy, because your world is basically bad, unless good intervenes. Likewise human beings.

Is this really the way god created things? Anyway, good and evil are human concepts, and as such are meaningless in Universal terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
 
25,740 posts, read 25,221,144 times
Reputation: 24327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
evil is nothing more than the absence of good
How come? Why wouldn't an absence of good just be...neutral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,596 posts, read 30,147,001 times
Reputation: 30158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How come? Why wouldn't an absence of good just be...neutral?
Hey Jez, good to see you back. Because there is no middle ground here. You must make a choice, if you sit on the fence, you'll fall off on the wrong side every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Cicero, NY
625 posts, read 1,628,946 times
Reputation: 221
Without one a person would have no idea of the other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top