Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
1. Crucifixes
2. Expensive cars and lifestyles of religious leaders
3. Holy pictures
4. Religious advertising
5. Religious buildings
6. religious clothing
7. religious involvement in politics
8. Religious money -grubbing
9. Religious slogans on money
10. Televangelists

Food to think about.

I believe anything can become an Idol when we place it above it's actual value. Worship need not involve ritual, in my opinion. It can be the sacrificing of all other things to either gain or serve it. The common one's I see are:

Unneeded Wealth
Inflated ego
Entertainment Beyond that needed for relaxation
Sexual excesses
Drugs
Excessive Food
Prejudices
One's own self
Celebrities
Nationalism

None of which are idols in themselves but can become so through our attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Food to think about.

I believe anything can become an Idol when we place it above it's actual value. Worship need not involve ritual, in my opinion. It can be the sacrificing of all other things to either gain or serve it. The common one's I see are:

Unneeded Wealth
Inflated ego
Entertainment Beyond that needed for relaxation
Sexual excesses
Drugs
Excessive Food
Prejudices
One's own self
Celebrities
Nationalism

None of which are idols in themselves but can become so through our attitudes.
I'm curious what you mean by Entertainment beyond that needed for relaxation. Why should relaxing entertainment get a pass?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I'm curious what you mean by Entertainment beyond that needed for relaxation. Why should relaxing entertainment get a pass?
Entertainment (Relaxation) is pretty much a necessity of life. It keeps us from over extending ourselves. Moderate entertainment would/could be things like the internet, reading for pleasure, a day off on a picnic etc. A break in routine to help us rest. But it can become an idol when we make it a goal.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
It is beginning to look that 'Idol' is becoming another 'blunderbuss' word with a lot of applications. In the OP it was more specifically false gods which God does not approve of and then moved on to some things whichare rivals to our (expected) devotion to religious things.

Now it seems that it is becoming any particular kind of thing or hobby or interest that attracts our particular devotion. While I don't myself spend my time restoring steam trains or classic cars, I can see why to some they are particular 'Idols' and their devotion to such objects is ok by me. Provided that I'm not treated as somehow a lesser mortal for having other interests. Pity the same doesn't apply to some devotees of religion.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
Idolatry is hated by GOD...
Hatred is such a self-deprecating and self-destructive emotion, and this god of yours really seems to be very focused on hate. Perhaps counseling would be in order

Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Megachurches
Pastors of Megachurches
Mick Jagger

Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
IMO the bible and commentaries are pretty near the top of the list

Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The spirit of antichrist brings his mark of the beast which a mark of the forehead which is an idol of devaluing people with ideas of wealth in his mind from the forehead , then there is the mark on the right hand which is the heart hand which will devalue people with ideas of wealth in deeds from the works of the hand , which is idols against the commands of Jesus Christ , which is to love the Lord God and to love all people who is the neighbors .....Then there is a spirit of the dragon which will go against those who keep the command of Jesus and have a testimony of Jesus Christ, ...and another spirit of the false prophet which brings ideas which to devalue and change the character and plan of Jesus in the earth ..... All three of these dark spirit who bring idols to the earth Jesus said that one day He will have to witness His Holy Angels destroying these three dark spirits and their authority......So one day God will get rid of idols..

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 AM

268 posts, read 275,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
IMO the bible and commentaries are pretty near the top of the list
Anything that takes the place of GOD is an idol... even the Bible can be an idol when we don't read what it says that the physical counts for nothing but the Spirit gives life...

Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Gosh, you two are so near moving onto the next stage of binning Idolatry - not just the books, and icons and dogmas and building and folderol, but the religions themselves - and move onto non- religious theism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality