U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,756,286 times

Advertisements

Paralyzed bank manager terminally ill with brain cancer fights for her right to die - NY Daily News

Paralyzed bank manager terminally ill with brain cancer fights for her right to die.

This poor woman wants to pull the plug, but her father got a temporary appointment as her guardian. The religious parents say she is too drugged up to be in her right mind, that she wants to go to heaven and that pulling the plug would be suicide.

The hospital says she is overly drugged and wishes to follow the patient's dictates.

This is why it is SO important to have a directive made before you ever get to a hospital - something no one can argue with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,850 times
Of course, if it was their beloved pet they would be asking the veterinarian to do the humane thing and put it out of its pain and misery. Why do we have such different standards between how are pets are treated and how we treat humans under end-of-life conditions? Why are we able to accept the one as "humane" but not the other?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,080,025 times
Well pets are not supposed to have souls. Sometimes I think they are more human many times than humans are.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,606,083 times
Dr. Kevorkian even made the argument himself: If the patient had been a dog, and I refused to put her down, I could have been accused and convicted of cruelty to animals.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,850 times
Btw, voters in Massachusetts will have a chance to address this on their November ballot when the Death with Dignity (Question 2) initiative is presented. If it passes it will give terminally ill patients in that state the option of physician-assisted death by lethal drug..... similar to Oregon and Washington.

A similar initiative is being proposed in New Jersey.

Editorial: N.J. Death with Dignity Act deserves serious consideration, discussion | NJ.com

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,426,455 times
This is why you need a living will with a dispassionate 3rd party to administrate your end of life care. This is the only way to make sure there is no confusion and/or hijacking of care at the end of your life.

Look from my POV the idea of suicide in this case in just not there. Without machines keeping her alive she would be dead period. Actually in this case it quite the opposite of suicide. In my view her parents are actually creating a situation of a painful, living "purgatory". Her parents are actually blocking her from going to "heaven". And that to me is the real sin here.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM

10,027 posts, read 10,187,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Of course, if it was their beloved pet they would be asking the veterinarian to do the humane thing and put it out of its pain and misery. Why do we have such different standards between how are pets are treated and how we treat humans under end-of-life conditions? Why are we able to accept the one as "humane" but not the other?
We treat our pets more kindly that we do our parents.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,074,737 times
As another quick aside, the attitude expressed by the mother in this quote:

Quote:
“Despite all this confusion, she wants to go to heaven,” she told the Daily News. “I keep telling her she can get better. God’s going to save you.”
while well-intentioned, is ultimately disturbing as can be. She'd rather watch her daughter suffer in the vague hope that God will save her.

In the end I have no sympathy for these parents. They are doing a great injustice to their own daughter. It is terrible.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Paralyzed bank manager terminally ill with brain cancer fights for her right to die - NY Daily News

Paralyzed bank manager terminally ill with brain cancer fights for her right to die.

This poor woman wants to pull the plug, but her father got a temporary appointment as her guardian. The religious parents say she is too drugged up to be in her right mind, that she wants to go to heaven and that pulling the plug would be suicide.

The hospital says she is NOT overly drugged and wishes to follow the patient's dictates.

This is why it is SO important to have a directive made before you ever get to a hospital - something no one can argue with.
I omitted an important word. Sorry. Maybe it's time for the old folks home?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM

It is not every religion that believes animals have no souls, just some.

I find it that some people who say they believe in an afterlife fight the hardest not to go there.

I think those parents are crazy. It's a madness born of their religious beliefs, but they are mad, just the same. I think the court should not postpone what the patient wants because of the insanity of the parents. If she could sue the court for that bad decision, she probably would. Terri Schiavo was lucky because at least she had someone sane - her ex husband - telling the world of what she wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality