Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
That can surely be changed though.

If we can change man and woman to man and man, then we can surely change laws regarding incestuous marriage.

interesting to note that most SSM supporters will tacitly allow incest.

I wonder why?
I'm sure you have some valid scientific studies to support this claim, don't you? I have never known anybody who supported incest. Ridiculous.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
same old dross from the SSM brigade.
Yes, yes, and I'm sure Columbus heard the same ignorance trying to convince people like you the earth was round, not flat. It just takes time and persistence. One day we will all look back and laugh at the thought of destroying gays for their immoral behavior like they are witches spreading their satanic ways.

Looking back throughout history, people have made some judgement errors, education and time seems to iron those out. No worries.

Try a live and let live attitude.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Most states already have laws against relatives marrying, at least regarding siblings and first cousins. Therefore, if SSM was legalized today, your statement would not be valid. Sister cannot marry brother now; sister cannot marry sister then.
In many states you can marry your first cousin, as long as they are of the opposite sex.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
....is an argument I hear all to often from the Christian right. I might ask how gay marriage would destroy marriage rather than strengthening it but I'm not going to. Instead, I will pose the question, isn't the institution of marriage already quite destroyed as it stands? What with the divorce rate at 50% of all marriages, teen pregnancy and unwed mothers at all time highs etc etc. More and more women aren't even waiting to find that mythical "Mr Wright" and instead opting for sperm banks and going it alone. Is there anything left of the concept of marriage worth defending or salvaging?
Yes. Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
....is an argument I hear all to often from the Christian right. I might ask how gay marriage would destroy marriage rather than strengthening it but I'm not going to. Instead, I will pose the question, isn't the institution of marriage already quite destroyed as it stands? What with the divorce rate at 50% of all marriages, teen pregnancy and unwed mothers at all time highs etc etc. More and more women aren't even waiting to find that mythical "Mr Wright" and instead opting for sperm banks and going it alone. Is there anything left of the concept of marriage worth defending or salvaging?
Yes. Marriage is the union of one man and one woman, a Biblical union.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, what does that make a marriage performed by a judge in his chambers? Is that still a Biblical union?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
No it is NOT a biblical union. Marriage is a legal contract.

For very specific reasons, there were no mentions of god or any of that BS in our vows. Nor did my wife vow two say she "obey", nor would I even want to marry a woman that thinks so little of herself to say such a stupid thing.

There is no reason two people willing to commit to each other should be prevented from doing so, based solely on the ignorance of YOUR religion, one which many rightfully dismiss as the ancient ignorance that it is.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Yeah like Jacob, David, and Solomon... Oops...

Assuming the Bible is accurate, God tacitly endorsed and explicitly provided for polygamous marriage. Unless you are arguing that God's morality in not consistent or absolute, it stands to reason that it is no more immoral now than when it was codified into the law given by God.

If the definition of marriage can change from one man and 300 women to one man and one woman, what is the big deal with two women?

-NoCapo

Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Funny thing, I read a marriage license and certificate, there was no mention of your bible.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Yes. Marriage is between one man and one woman.
In your world maybe, but your opinion does not dictate reality. In numerous places around the world and throughout history, that is not the meaning of marriage, no matter how much you want to pretend they aren't real marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality