U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM

707 posts, read 545,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I'm going to discuss evolution with my dog it's much more intellectually rewarding. He has no silly preconceived religious notions. (as far as I know) (If he does they can't be any worse than what I've read here)
All I can say is that when you think science is the be-all-and-end-all of everything, you miss everything else. Good luck to you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,112,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
All I can say is that when you think science is the be-all-and-end-all of everything, you miss everything else. Good luck to you all.
Nice bail out with a straw man. At least you are consistent. Sorry, but science only bases its explanations on REAL THINGS (except for that pesky i in mathematics. The "everything else" you are talking about is not factored into explanations for the same reason that Pixie Dust is not. Oh, but we already went over that, didn't we, about 100 times.

I don't think that the free-thinkers in here are the ones that are missing out. Those who are slaves to irrational dogma that prevents them from enjoying and exploring the natural world around us are clearly the ones who are "missing out".

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Nice bail out with a straw man. At least you are consistent. Sorry, but science only bases its explanations on REAL THINGS (except for that pesky i in mathematics. The "everything else" you are talking about is not factored into explanations for the same reason that Pixie Dust is not. Oh, but we already went over that, didn't we, about 100 times.

I don't think that the free-thinkers in here are the ones that are missing out. Those who are slaves to irrational dogma that prevents them from enjoying and exploring the natural world around us are clearly the ones who are "missing out".
No bail out at all. If you think science can do and answer everything I think you are missing a lot. You probably see no purpose for anything because science cannot prove this. You're entitled to your belief too.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

15,727 posts, read 8,998,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes Evolution of the species with out a creator is just a theory, And Has Never Been Proven
Gravity has never been proven either, do you reject that? You're proving the OPs point. You don't understand science. There is no such thing as proof outside of math/logic. It doesn't exist in any scientific context.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM

15,727 posts, read 8,998,502 times
Quote:
And when you think a literal creation story is the point of Genesis, you miss the things that actually matter.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,337,740 times
Music is just a theory. It's never been proven. That is what I told my music theory teacher.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM

4,476 posts, read 4,187,608 times
Quote:
No bail out at all. If you think science can do and answer everything I think you are missing a lot. You probably see no purpose for anything because science cannot prove this. You're entitled to your belief too.
The only purpose life has is survival, anything beyond that is supposition and philosophical/theistic grasping.

We don't deny science based on religious teachings as they have no place in science. It would be like denying evolution based on what I learned from reading Tolkien.

I have yet to see any debate against the validity of evolution other than a religious one. Bring us one creditable scientist that argues against evolution without using religion as a crutch or a starting point.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,112,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Music is just a theory. It's never been proven. That is what I told my music theory teacher.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 AM

775 posts, read 604,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

A "theory" is a theory. That it is ever more, is just a headtrip by those that think it is.
Would you go jump off a cliff, given that gravity is clearly just a theory developed by "egotistical" scientists?

Why the **** are you typing on a computer, which relies heavily on the "theories" developed by scientists?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And when you think a literal creation story is the point of Genesis, you miss the things that actually matter.
But I don't and have never said that...another misconception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality