U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,753,454 times
Default Afterlife exists says top brain surgeon

I've heard stories from close family members that have had near death experience that Heaven was very real.

Afterlife exists says top brain surgeon - Telegraph

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM

15,498 posts, read 7,301,187 times
"...During his illness Dr Alexander says that the part of his brain which controls human thought and emotion "shut down" and that he then experienced "something so profound that it gave me a scientific reason to believe in consciousness after death." In an essay for American magazine Newsweek, which he wrote to promote his book Proof of Heaven, Dr Alexander says he was met by a beautiful blue-eyed woman in a "place of clouds, big fluffy pink-white ones" and "shimmering beings"."

Nuff sed?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM

834 posts, read 432,337 times
lack of oxygen in the brain causes "near death experiences"

Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM

15,498 posts, read 7,301,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
lack of oxygen in the brain causes "near death experiences"
It's disturbing that he calls his experience not a personal evidence of the reality of an afterlife but a scientific reason to believe. Science it isn't and he should have known that as well as be aware that there are better explanations for what he experienced. He may be convinced but nobody who is aware of the science that he should know is going to be convinced by a dream under the knife.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM

8,824 posts, read 2,867,925 times
Why don't any of you read the article? He wasn't under the knife. And his cortex had shut down because of infection, not lack of oxygen.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,931,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I've heard stories from close family members that have had near death experience that Heaven was very real.

Afterlife exists says top brain surgeon - Telegraph
I think a lot of this is wishful thinking.

When you "die" there is always oxygen deprivation, regardless of the cause of death. Having lived in Colorado for a while, and spending some time in the really, really high mountains (over 10,000 feet), I can tell you that oxygen deprivation can do some pretty wacky things to your thinking process. It is no stretch for me to realize that your brain could devise "anything" under total deprivation. I believe that these NDEs that we read about is simply a physiological reaction. If you have ever seen a person shortly after death (I have, unfortunately), you know that their muscles do some weird things like twitching, and jiggling even though they are dead. It is just a physiological reaction. That's what I think all this is. Of course, I could be wrong, but then we won't know until it's our turn.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,772,169 times
Interesting that he can't empirically verify any of this. Sounds like something's amiss, even moreso because he said this to promote his new book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality