Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Does anyone else see the pure irony of this post?
after all this time..you can never make a good well developed point.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
More irony...

You're just too funny.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Guess you missed the part where I mentioned that sexuality isn't something people do, it's something they are. If a man finds himself attracted to other men, and cannot stop those thoughts from coming, and feels no sexual attraction toward women, then isn't he homosexual whether he acts upon that or not? And I was under the impression that it's homosexuality that's being condemned, not simply homosexual acts. Acting upon those desires, I understand how that can be a sin just as acting upon heterosexual desires (outside of marriage) can be considered a sin. The problem is, the homosexual is condemned simply for being homosexual, regardless of his actions, whereas in your scenario (if I'm understanding you correctly) the heterosexual is only condemned if he acts upon those desires. Both can choose to commit the sin by their actions, but one is also condemned simply for being, while the other is not.

Okay then, let's say that since the homosexual cannot stop his thoughts from springing into being, then the only sin is if he acts upon those urges. The heterosexual is also commanded to abstain from sex before marriage, but it's okay if the man and woman are married. Since the homosexual isn't even allowed to marry in most states, I guess if he can't afford to move he's just SOL, huh? "Don't act upon your urges unless you're married, but...you're not allowed to marry someone you're attracted to. Feel free to pretend you're someone else, though, and live a lie."
While you're on the right track, the issue is a bit more dire than that. Conservatives have left NO realistic option for gays.

Even if they claim the attractions are not a sin (some do, some claim even the attractions are sinful), their claim is that sexual relations outside of marriage is a sin. Ok, so what if gays get married? Nope, same-sex marriage is wrong and not in line with God, therefore gays are forbidden from marriage. Well then how do gays avoid sex outside of marriage if they can't get married? Celibacy. Well, even Paul said the majority of people were not given the gift of celibacy, so what about the overwhelming majority of gays who can't be celibate? Marry the opposite sex. Well, then you're in a sham relationship and not providing the needs for your partner as Paul said a spouse must do. Ok, so pray the gay away. Proven failure in 99.9% of cases. God doesn't change peoples' orientation. What's left? Suicide or accept no matter what you do you're going to "Hell".

There is no option for gay people under conservative evil dogma. It's illogical, and puts gays in a position no loving God would force on people.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
all you guys do is guess at what is thought to sound ok plus the guy in the OP link seems a bit strange to begin with so there's a credibility deal...anyway I gotta go and am too busy for these area's.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
While you're on the right track, the issue is a bit more dire than that. Conservatives have left NO realistic option for gays.

Even if they claim the attractions are not a sin (some do, some claim even the attractions are sinful), their claim is that sexual relations outside of marriage is a sin. Ok, so what if gays get married? Nope, same-sex marriage is wrong and not in line with God, therefore gays are forbidden from marriage. Well then how do gays avoid sex outside of marriage if they can't get married? Celibacy. Well, even Paul said the majority of people were not given the gift of celibacy, so what about the overwhelming majority of gays who can't be celibate? Marry the opposite sex. Well, then you're in a sham relationship and not providing the needs for your partner as Paul said a spouse must do. Ok, so pray the gay away. Proven failure in 99.9% of cases. God doesn't change peoples' orientation. What's left? Suicide or accept no matter what you do you're going to "Hell".

There is no option for gay people under conservative evil dogma. It's illogical, and puts gays in a position no loving God would force on people.
Yes, I was being generous by the standards of some. To some, the only answer for a gay person is to "simply" not be gay anymore. Which would be hilarious in its absurdity if it weren't so cruel.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yes, I was being generous by the standards of some. To some, the only answer for a gay person is to "simply" not be gay anymore. Which would be hilarious in its absurdity if it weren't so cruel.
There are conservative religious parents so desperate for their children not to be gay or lesbian, that they will take them to quacks for so-called 'reparative' or 'conversion' therapy despite all the known harm it can do. Is it better for them that their gay and lesbian children commit suicide? At least they won't have to kick them out or disown them when the 'therapy' doesn't work and just makes those kids hate themselves even more than they were already indoctrinated to do. I wish these parents would educate themselves instead of harming their children.

But what can we do when there are conservative religious groups like the FRC and NOM etc constantly spreading vilifying propaganda about gays and lesbians all over the internet and the media? Or pastors and ministers constantly harping on about the evil perversion of homoSEXuality. Or people on forums constantly dehumanizing gay and lesbian people by reducing them to just 'sex acts'?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There are conservative religious parents so desperate for their children not to be gay or lesbian, that they will take them to quacks for so-called 'reparative' or 'conversion' therapy despite all the known harm it can do. Is it better for them that their gay and lesbian children commit suicide? At least they won't have to kick them out or disown them when the 'therapy' doesn't work and just makes those kids hate themselves even more than they were already indoctrinated to do. I wish these parents would educate themselves instead of harming their children.

But what can we do when there are conservative religious groups like the FRC and NOM etc constantly spreading vilifying propaganda about gays and lesbians all over the internet and the media? Or pastors and ministers constantly harping on about the evil perversion of homoSEXuality. Or people on forums constantly dehumanizing gay and lesbian people by reducing them to just 'sex acts'?
Though I'm straight, I've often wondered which would horrify my parents more: to tell them I've gay (which isn't true), or to tell them I'm an atheist (which is true). I honestly couldn't say, but I know either would be just about the worst thing they could imagine for their own child.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I am about halfway through this book and the main thing the author seems to be learning is that Homosexuality is NOT all about sex as so many homophobes can't get out of their minds whenever the subject is mentioned.

He did NOT have to experience the very personal acts in order to experience the hatred and bigotry.

He is finding them to be exactly like everyone else ..They work, they play, they love, they are religious, they are non religious, they are kind and and charitable.Some lack some of those attributes just as we all do.

In other words he is being deprogrammed from the hate and bigotry pressed upon him from man's religion and society.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
This is the most absurd and unfounded thing you have typed to date.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I am about halfway through this book and the main thing the author seems to be learning is that Homosexuality is NOT all about sex as so many homophobes can't get out of their minds whenever the subject is mentioned.
Common sense tells us that, no more than it is in a hetro relationship. If anything the fact he did not understand this (a little common sense) shows how extremely dangerous the willful ignorance of religion is to society, it is vile, and it is toxic to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality