Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. - Albert Einstein

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain

Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
perhaps, but most people can sense whether someone is gay or not.

fair play to him for trying but like another poster pointed out, it's not the real deal.

similar to a rich person playing at being poor, or a man being a woman.

If you are going to do a test like this, best go the whole hog.

actually become gay for 1 year, then see what it's like
Not really. I'm gay and no one could tell when I was in the closet in the Bible Belt. And I was in a same-sex relationship! Lol.

Also, you can't become gay. You either are gay (or bi or whatever else) or you aren't.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I read this article earlier and was about to post it myself, but checked first to see if anyone else had. If you go to his website it says he lives in Portland, OR. But the article mentions his church in Nashville. So what I'm wondering is, which of these two cities is the one where he performed this experiment, because the responses could be very different for each city. I used to live in the Nashville area, and coming out of the closet there would definitely be a different experiece than doing so in a place like Portland. I'd like to see someone try this experiment in a small town in the Bible Belt. Or...maybe that wouldn't be a good idea, actually.
I tried to be openly gay for 2 days in a small Bible-Belt town. People told me to my face that my disabilities were God's punishment for my homosexuality. Yep.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I tried to be openly gay for 2 days in a small Bible-Belt town. People told me to my face that my disabilities were God's punishment for my homosexuality. Yep.
I'm very sorry for your experience. Yes, and they call themselves Christians.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Don't ya just love the way these stone age mental midgets cling to the superstition and ignorance of the past. Humanity can't progress while holding onto ignorance with all their might.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Sounds like a very brave and intelligent young man who has learned a great deal about true love from living this life.

Cross in the Closet: Straight Christian Lives a Year as Gay Man - ABC News
Wow! I really want to read this! Thanks for telling us about it.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
My only surprise is that they actually had the nerve to say it to your face instead of exclusively behind your back.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is the problem that comes up when one sees sexual orientation as a choice. It seems like a lot of people see homosexuality as just sex or lust toward members of the same sex. But just like being straight, there's more to it than that. When a straight man sees a beautiful woman and immediately sexual thoughts come to his mind, did he decide to have those thoughts? He may choose to suppress them or embrace them, but that initial spark comes naturally to him. If he falls in love with a woman does he think, "I believe I'm straight, so I'm going to fall for this woman instead of my best friend, who is a man." Of course not. It just happens; it's not a decision he makes. So why couldn't the same thing happen to two men? Or two women? Do you honestly believe a man living in the Bible Belt would say, "You know what? I think I want to be gay. I'll probably be ostracized for it, maybe even physically persecuted, but I just really want to be romantically drawn toward men instead of women." That's ridiculous.

So some people feel homosexuals are simply choosing a lifestyle, and they condemn it as such. But to a homosexual person, their sexual orientation is not something they chose, just as yours and mine are not. So when you say, "I don't hate you, but I can't condone your homosexuality," what you might as well be saying is, "I don't hate you, but I can't condone this trait of yours that you didn't choose and have no control over." From their point of view, it's no different than telling an African American man that you don't hate him, but you just can't condone his skin color because you feel it's wrong. You may not see it that way, but they might.
This is a highly over-simplified, and much relied on, approach to sexual orientation. I don't believe it is a choice. But, that doesn't mean that people are BORN that way either. Those aren't the only two choices. Other factors play into it.

The scientific community has agreed that there is no conclusive evidence that people are born gay. All the extensive research on this subject failed to show any scientific evidence that shows a purely genetic basis for homosexuality. To this day, many scientists, psychologists, and researchers say that environmental factors are major contributors to homosexual feelings. Another accepted finding is that peer attachments with same-sex friends can also play a role in developing sexual orientation. There are many factors to consider. That doesn't even get into the Bible's explanation of generational curses.

There was a study on almost 8.000 twins in Sweden. Their findings showed that genetic factors explained 18-39% of sexual orientation choices while 61-66% of sexual orientation choices were a result of the individual's environment.

The long of the short of it is this: There is no conclusive scientific evidence that anyone is born gay. Saying they are doesn't make it true. People can argue about all the research they want to but it doesn't matter. Each side would be able to present research.

Putting all of this in context with this thread, a friend of mine who is gay but became a Christian told me that arguing about this is futile because, until the other person comes to a true revelation of who Jesus is and surrenders themselves to Him, they're not going to ever understand the whole "God didn't make people gay" issue. He gave me a link to an article that he says is very accurate with his experience. I saved it for a time like this. Here it is: The Bible and Being Gay

(Thanks, Cosmicstargoat. I should have tried the link before posting it.)

Last edited by plain and simple; 10-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: To fix the link.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post

The long of the short of it is this: There is no conclusive scientific evidence that anyone is born gay.
Saying they are doesn't make it true. He gave me a link to an article that he says is very accurate with his experience.

I saved it for a time like this. Here it is: The Bible and Being Gay
Your link is broken. I fixed it for you.

EDIT: Well, I did all I could. It at least hit the domain you were pointing to.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
...I don't believe it is a choice.
How can something that's not a choice be a sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality