Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 AM

712 posts, read 2,141,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Healthy skepticism is a gift, not a disease. Unless you ask a used car salesman or a politician, I guess.
Health pessimism which it mostly what it is.. creates a very negative reality..

How you feeling about reality/the world btw?

Is it all going to ****.. like I hear from some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Your mind reading skills leave much to be desired. Don't quit your day job.
I practice twice daily.. I floss too!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
I hope you're trolling.
Not really sure what a troll is?

Quote:
Ad hominem. Unlike religion, Science focuses on finding the truth, not on what feels right. Sometimes the answers are cynical, sometimes they are optimistic, but that's wholly unrelated to the truth.
Right like that time.. the british were gonna test "einstein’s" theory which was gonna prove their theory’s of gravity wrong...

They were SO excited to test it and find out that 100+ of years of beliefs or theories were WRONG

As a Sci-Fi Fan and obvious "science fan boy religious" (new trademark ) you wear your colors true.. go eagles.. or sorry, I forgot you were rooting for "the badgers"

Quote:
Really? Do you have evidence to support this?
Look in the mirror buddy

Let's see.. as a sci fi fan.. I could a. read sci-fi books today.. b. watch that neo guy in the matrix for the 50th time or ohh yah c. go onto the internet and debate a bunch of religious nutters..

Let's see I choose c.

You don't demonstrate happiness sci fi fan.. and if you do.. it's more like a "haha" yah know where nelson pulls up the shorts of some kid and everyone laughs?

Is that what you do on this forum.. as a troll???

Quote:
Except that Science has saved billions of lives and without it, modern society would not have been possible. Science is the more effective path because it works. Ten thousand years of human civilization have proven it.
Wow, tens of thousands of years..

I think you could use a history lesson...

Let me try and show you how I see you "sci fi fan"

"my god let's me wear short-shorts" lol
"my god is a genius"
"my daddy will beat up your daddy" (man I love that one! )

I'm sorry, sci fi fan.. you don't demonstrate a type of openness or balance.. you just demonstrate a fan boy.. fightin' with fan boy words.. I mean that's what I see! I reserve the right to be wrong, too!

Quote:
Religion is based on faith. Science is based on empirical data. How is Science a faith, other than your say-so?
I don't really consider myself religious.. I'm mean technically from your eyes yes "I must be"

But I'm not a christian or a muslim.. not a jew or a what is romney again? aaa.. mormon?

Nope, I don't identify with those labels.. I really don't identify with any labels.. but we do share something in common.. I do like sci-fi.. have you seen that new "blooper" movie?? sucks ass!

I did like the movie with my name though.. "the master" kept my interest.. and ohh yah, I liked judge dredd too!

Quote:
Religion is based on faith. Science is based on empirical data. How is Science a faith, other than your say-so?
Do you really want to hear the secrets of the universe from little old me..?

I mean, I know them but you talk to me with skepticism, judgment and BIAS.. so your not really listening to anything I have to say.. ANYWAY!? right??????????

Quote:
Science is a religion fanboy.. just pull your head of your ass for 1 minute and you'd see it!

Quote:
They don't know how it really works? And clergymen do? What evidence did clergymen use to come up with how the universe "REALLY" works?
"channels"

Quote:
Given that a overwhelming majority of real scientists are significantly less religious than the general populace?
Are you a real scientist? Do you go out there and interview a million real scientists?

Because I get the feeling you’re a fanboy.. talking out his ass.. have I offered that reflection to yah..? now it's twice now..

It must be hard "sci fi fan" to figure out how to attack me.. when I don't even say I'm a christian or a muslim.. or a scientist.. does that blow your mind?? just asking!

Quote:
IYour lack of appreciation for the millions of lives (and, by statistics, probably your own) saved by modern medicine is disgusting.
You would have to understand death isn't a bad thing.. and that killing a human and a mosquito = the same thing.. but these aren't beliefs systems you share.. and indeed they aren't belief systems that MANY share..

Anyway, your right sci fi fan.. you got the moral high ground.. you win this round.. And tyson takes out his opponent by a knockout the crowd goes willlddddd!

Quote:
ROFLAMO! Do you think I can't see through your shameless bluff? Science has given us a greater understanding of "the CORE of the issue" than religion ever has.
Okay, mr. smart fan boy.. you’re so smart!

Tell me what CAUSES diseases..??? don't tell me what study shows you’re more likely to get "colin cancer" for eating tabasco sauce..

I want to know why bob here has CANCER.. not because his body failed him.. I want you tell me why the disease was CREATED in the first place..???

Why, what, how?

But again.. science doesn't know these answers.. (they just have some study's) and so as a fan boy that means you have about 1% chance of knowing this.. since you probably don't read scientific papers.. or even for the lazy popular science or discover

I don't know you sci fi fan boy.. but I bet you've never done any science outside of high school.. you've never done one study nothing.. do you know WHY I know this???

Because people in the science field would never waste their time debating science on internet forums.. lol

Quote:
Yes. Ergo, I win, and your proposition that Science does not improve human happiness fails.
I never said such a thing.. but if I did..? I would say yes that is correct and also no it isn't...

You don't strike me as "happy" sci fi fan.. and if you are.. you could always be about 10x happier?

Put down everyone’s underwear nelson.. go read a book or something, go do what makes you passionate.. I don't think debating religious people is what gets you off.. in my case it does..

I had a very wonderful and pleasurable time writing this response to you.. your very welcome!

Quote:
Says who? You?
Says my teacher/us

Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,696,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Health pessimism which it mostly what it is.. creates a very negative reality..

How you feeling about reality/the world btw?
Better than ever. But don't let my actual thoughts get in the way of you telling everyone what I think. You're doing a consistent job there - as in consistently wrong.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,504,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, as Hugh Nibley (probably the greatest LDS scholar who has ever lived) once noted: The first rule of scholarship [is]: You are never playing with a full deck. You never know how much evidence you may be missing, what it is, or where it is hiding. What counters that and saves the day for scholarship is what I have called the "Gas Law of Learning," namely, that any amount of knowledge, no matter how small, will fill any vacuum of ignorance, no matter how large. He who knows one or two facts can honestly claim to know at least something about a subject, and nobody knows everything. So it is with the schoolmen who make the rules and move the goalposts."

Note: He was not speaking strictly of science, but of religion, too.
That's perfectly true -and once learned, can be set aside. What we don't know is academic - except as a spur to learn and discover more. What we DO know is what counts. And being sure that what we know is realy what we can justifiably know as distinct from what we can believe to be true without justification.

We can be sure that there are biochemicals in interstellar gas. We can't be sure that there is a Designer behind the universe. Those are very simple examples but people seem to have such trouble seeing the distinction.

The difference really between science and religion is that science is always questioning and testing and replacing old knowledge with new. Religion is constantly trying to prop op old knowledge in spite of the new.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,553,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Both sides claim to have it all, both sides have some of it and neither side has all of it.

Science and religion are equal in that respect but both perspectives are simply different means to seek the truth, not the truth itself.

People who enjoy looking back to laugh at those working their way up the trail behind them should turn around... they still have an entire mountain to climb before they reach the summit themselves, and they are not on the only trail to the top.

Just a thought...
Well, instead of working my way up the trail I believe I'd just go have a cup of cocoa. I would only leave a trail to the coffee house. I'd be glad to have some company while chillin at the bottom. I'm not seeking, just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality