Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,826,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Apparently god does not care about your opinion.
all of your examples are burning as a form of punishment.

another reason why God does not want us to be cremated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,492,013 times
Quote:
Why would you care? I, with an open mind, am always interested in what people think about things like this.
Your postings say otherwise.

Quote:
Apparently god does not care about your opinion.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Cremation seems to be a good practical way to dispose of a body.
Or if your up in the cold harsh climate of Tibet with frozen rocky soil then the best way would be to let the wildlife eat you.
Soylent Green
Or just toss me in the land fill.
Feed me to the goats.
I’m not to picky but the goats might be
Pigs would be better they will eat anything, goats not so much sometimes.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,002,425 times
Cremation is forbidden for us Muslim. so is embalming, and coffins. We get recycled in the ground ASAP

Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Cremation is forbidden for us Muslim. so is embalming, and coffins. We get recycled in the ground ASAP
We have low budget funerals. No wake. no fancy funeral, If possible we are to be buried on the same day we die, before sunset. I guess we are anti morticians, coffin makers and funeral directors.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Cremation for me, no reason for my physical body to be left behind to muck up the ground somewhere. God understands that and it is part of my ancestry as well so I have figured out that I am probably not going to be sent to hades when my body is burned as long as my Spirit stays with God.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,884,280 times
Smile The Cremation of Sam McGee: ("Hey: close the door! I'm finally warm in here!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why are atheists responding to a thread about religion and cremation?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Got no issue, myself. To the cremation thing, that is.
Quote:
Why would you care? I, with an open mind, am always interested in what people think about things like this.
[
Quote:
QUOTE=Kenneth-Kaunda;26557968]I don't like the idea of cremation - does not seem natural.

burning signifies pain and destruction, not how God wanted our bodies to end up IMO.

do you see animals burning each other?
[/quote]

Nope, but then... if that's your only criteria... I also don't see animals splashing wine on each other, or shoving tasteless little dry crackers into each others' mouths while mumbling in ancient tongues. Or praying for their neighbor to burn in hell. Or ordering women to be stoned in the streets to atone for their adulterous and hyper-chauvinist men. Or praying to become rich. Or setting off fission reactions overtop of each other. Or building massive false monuments (at the expense of the little people who they conscripted or enslaved to do the actual physical work), all in order to idolize some fully disproven mythology about the Father of an ordinary guy nailed to a cross. And so on.

I prefer the simple open honesty of the animals, myself. Well, I mean, the, (<ahem.. cough...>) "lesser" ones, not us hyper-arrogant egotistical animals that is. Since, after all, we'z all juss' animals, some just more evolved than us hominids is all.

http://www.cornforthimages.com/galle...002_Hawaii.jpg

http://wsunature.files.wordpress.com...with-cubs2.jpg

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.50656...52151&pid=15.1

etc. etc.

Or...

http://familymedia.tv/uploads/pics/benny_hinn.jpg

Hmmm. Let's compare and contrast, shall we???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
all of your examples are burning as a form of punishment.

another reason why God does not want us to be cremated.
Tommy Rot. My ashes will be reverently sprinkled where I've asked my loving son to do so, [despite what your imagined God wants...] and my etherial hydrocarbon and other rare gases will return to the cosmic gas cloud (@ a density in true space of ≈ 1 atom/cubic cm, I learned today! Ain't science wunnerphuul?), perhaps slowing some earth-inbound meteorite some day, in some teensy way.

All according to the immutable laws of natural order and chaos, and untouched by the myths of frightened little peons huddled alongside the edifices they obediently built and/or paid for.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ican416afp.jpg

Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,855,348 times
Quote:
Quote:
We have low budget funerals. No wake. no fancy funeral, If possible we are to be buried on the same day we die, before sunset. I guess we are anti morticians, coffin makers and funeral directors.
It's pretty much the same in Judaism. The body is cleaned and left in its natural state, dressed in a simple white garment, and buried in a simple wooden casket as soon as possible.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,545,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why are atheists responding to a thread about religion and cremation?

Inquiring minds want to know. .
How comes it that you are speaking for inquiring minds , Mr. Christian?

I wasn't going to post, but, if I did respond as an atheist I suppose I'd want to show that, after I was dead, I reckon my bod could be disposed of in a polite sorta way - no elements of needing to keep it at least in a plot of ground with a polished basalt slab saying:

"This is where Arequipa's bod used to be except the soil is acid so even the bones are gone, but the organic traces left rest here in the sure hope of some sort of resurrection."

So to answer your question, I'd suggest that we are showing that we have no attachment to our preserved remains - as indeed you do not yourself.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
It's pretty much the same in Judaism. The body is cleaned and left in its natural state, dressed in a simple white garment, and buried in a simple wooden casket as soon as possible.
Very similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality