Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie.Cake View Post
"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matt. 8:12
Thats the golden rule isn't it?
And the words of Jesus are hardly original.

circa 2000 BCE "Do for one who may do for you, That you may cause him thus to do." - The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant 109-110, Ancient Egypt.
circa 700 BCE "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your countrymen. Love your fellow as yourself: I am the LORD." Hebrew Bible
circa 600 BCE "That nature only is good when it shall not do unto another whatever is not good for its own self." - Dadistan-i-Dinik 94:5, Zoroastrianism.
circa 500 BCE "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." - Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29, Zoroastrianism.
circa 500 BCE "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." - Udana-Varga 5:18, Buddhism.
circa 500 BCE "What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others." Analects of Confucius 15:24, Confucianism.
circa 400 BCE "Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others." - Socrates.
circa 90 CE "Do to others as you would have them do to you." - Gospel of Luke 6:31, Christianity
circa 100 CE "What you would avoid suffering yourself, seek not to impose on others." - Epictetus.
circa 750 "Do unto all men as you would wish to have done unto you; and reject for others what you would reject for yourself." - Hadith, Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
And the words of Jesus are hardly original.
Originality is hardly the attribute we should expect for universal truths, Cosmic.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 8,791 times
i personally dont take much of the bible literally, i do find it facinating though. i work at trying to interpert what it means... not what it says. i dont even just read the bible, i also read the gnostic gospels. but then again i am not aprt of an orginized religion so i dont have an "offical book" and i can kind of do my own thing.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have two questions for those who call themselves "religious." I am seeking honest and candid answers not sarcasm or insults.

The first question is how can you pick and choose from your religious "bible"? For example, we see religious people quote Bible all the time but they often conveniently ignore the fact that the Bible supports slavery.
The Bible records that slavery happened, and it gives some regulation into how we are to treat slaves--in a much better way than any other nation at the time. It doesn't endorse slavery or prescribe a sort of man-selling horrible slavery that occurred in this country based on race. Biblical slavery was based on war prisoners or economics--and wasn't based on race.
Quote:
Another example is that people often have sex before marriage which is clearly forbidden in the Bible.
You're right. Christians who do that are hypocrites. I would question if their faith is real if they ignore a very clear command from Scripture not to do so.
Quote:
How can you, on one hand call yourself religious and on the other hand, pick and choose what is convenient to you? I would think a religious person would do everything in his or her power to follow the doctrines/codes of his/her religion.

For those who really want to follow the book, we label them as "religious fanatics."

Well, if you aren't fanatics and don't plan to follow the book, how can you call yourself religious and a believer? It likes I am a believer but I only believe the part that is convenient to me.

This really puzzles me!
You've picked 2 issues that really depend on context. 1---slavery is not to be done today. It was something that happened at the time, and it was Christians that largely worked to get it abolished in this country 150 years ago. I realize that there were also God-fearing people that practiced it. I believe they were wrong to do so.

Pre-marital sex is also wrong and there really is no excuse for it. No cherry-picking of verses. It's wrong.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Question 1 - As a religious person, how can you pick and choose?
Easy, they pick the parts they agree with, and declare that how it is, because it's the infallible word of their god. Then simply ignore the parts they don't agree with.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Easy, they pick the parts they agree with, and declare that how it is, because it's the infallible word of their god. Then simply ignore the parts they don't agree with.
Ad hominems aside, it's not that simple. We actually read the context.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Ad hominems aside, it's not that simple. We actually read the context.
and pick out the parts you like and ignore the rest.

You rage about marriage, but I have yet to see you demand that brides that are not virgins be stoned to death.

You like the part about the evil of a man laying with a man, but ignore the part about the virgin bride.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
and pick out the parts you like and ignore the rest.
Do you understand what "read the context" means?
Quote:
You rage about marriage, but I have yet to see you demand that brides that are not virgins be stoned to death.
Who is "you"? Have I raged about marriage here? And why would I demand that any non-virginal brides be stoned? This isn't ancient Israel. We don't live under the Mosaic Law. That's where "read the context" comes in. You should try it.
Quote:
You like the part about the evil of a man laying with a man, but ignore the part about the virgin bride.
That little part about "man laying with man" was reiterated as a bad thing in Romans 1 -- the New Testament. It also was addressed at the creation of man when God created a woman for Adam--not another man.

Honestly....you really need to "read the context". It might clear a few things up for you.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you understand what "read the context" means?

Who is "you"? Have I raged about marriage here? And why would I demand that any non-virginal brides be stoned? This isn't ancient Israel. We don't live under the Mosaic Law. That's where "read the context" comes in. You should try it.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21

New International Version (NIV)

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Deuteronomy 22:20-21

New International Version (NIV)

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
Again....let's "read the context".

Do you know who this was written to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality