Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,381,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't you know... since what happened to you isn't "documented," according to JakeDog, it could not have happened!
Everything must be documented!
A complete misrepresentation of my point. Yes, this person very well had this perception of events. And this person just documented their perception of the event. But there is no documentation to support the claim the perception was of something real and not merely a hallucination. Roll your eyes all you like, but these NDEs are similar to UFO abduction stories- I believe people perceived them, but I do not see any reason to believe that these perceptions are of real events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,682,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
A complete misrepresentation of my point. Yes, this person very well had this perception of events. And this person just documented their perception of the event. But there is no documentation to support the claim the perception was of something real and not merely a hallucination. Roll your eyes all you like, but these NDEs are similar to UFO abduction stories- I believe people perceived them, but I do not see any reason to believe that these perceptions are of real events.
JakeDog,
As projections of one's own mind, hallucinations cannot contain anything not already in the mind (this is concluded from psychology 101). How do you explain the things seen by NDE patients that saw things they could not have possibly known about ? Look for the other NDE thread in this of forum and watch that video link! It talks about hallucinations.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 PM

63 posts, read 149,392 times
my faith makes me believe i will reunite with my loved ones. I dont think they will be the same though.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM

24,496 posts, read 33,233,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
JakeDog,
As projections of one's own mind, hallucinations cannot contain anything not already in the mind (this is concluded from psychology 101). How do you explain the things seen by NDE patients that saw things they could not have possibly known about ? Look for the other NDE thread in this of forum and watch that video link! It talks about hallucinations.
Exactly.
Many people want to dismiss ALL NDE's as "hallucinations," yet won't consider the fact that NDE's are not only possible, but very likely as hundreds of cases around the world have shown.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 PM

24,496 posts, read 33,233,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Just how does one "document" a NDE?
How can one share a NDE with someone who is having one?
The answer is you can't.
Just like you can't document that there is life on other planets, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,855,432 times
I don't that we do, but Mormon's do, thus their extensive geneology studies and resources.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 AM

7 posts, read 13,870 times
It is a proven fact that when the brain is starved for oxy, it fires elect. impulses and you get your feelings of wellbeing,and that out of body exp. there is nothing to show that there is anything after this life. But for most people they can not even begin to think that the so called safty net is not there. that when we die that is it, nothing more.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,239,695 times
Even as a Christian, I don't know what to make of NDE's either. It is interesting however, that some of them do seem to contain details that the person had no way of knowing in the natural.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,682,308 times
An interesting thing about NDE studies is that they conclude that there is no one world view that is dominant other than a bright light and a presence of some supreme being "behind the curtains", so to speak. In other words, it's hard to say whether the NDEs follow scripture, but there have been cases of certain NDEs that experience Jesus. Interestingly, one atheist had an NDE and met Jesus. The atheist asked Jesus what religion to follow and Jesus said, "whatever brings you closer to God".

Btw, that guy is not an atheist any longer. He's a pastor and his name is Howard Storm. As an ex-atheist, he went to great lengths to make sure his NDE was not an hallucination. After intense studying and writeups in medical journals, he finally made the move to become a pastor.

That's just one example.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM

54,485 posts, read 33,816,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
Will we see loved ones after we die?
That's a tough question to answer because I do remember the documentary about the people who had a near death experience saying they saw a glimpse of one of their parents who had passed on, but couldn't tell you if they're actually going to be with them, I still got about 30-35 years to go before I can answer that.

I can tell you one thing for sure - After we pass on, we will see THE ONLY ONE who loves us so much, he gave his life for us on the cross! We won't only see him, but we'll spend eternity with him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality