Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The fact that you do feel love for your wife stands as proof that we are created beings, not mere random products of biology.
What? How?

Quote:
If you truly subscribed to the lie of atheism and evolution then you would indeed have to admit that your feelings of love are nothing but chemicals and your life has no more value or importance than the chicken I ate for dinner.
Feelings of love are indeed caused by chemicals. The sweetness of apple pie is also caused by chemicals. So is the beauty of a sunset. And the warmth of a spring day.

Why is that a problem?

As for my life having value, the fact that I only get 60 years of it means I value my life more than I did when I was a fundamentalist Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:56 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times
Quote:
I think you need a reality check. An online discussion board IS NOT REAL LIFE. We are debating topics that can be controversial, and you think I should just lay down and refuse to defend my faith because you and your friends are delicate snowflakes who can't stand someone who doesn't bow down to intelligence? You don't know 99% of my life experiences so to make such a claim is just arrogant and dishonest.
It doesn't matter if it is real life or a message board, Jeff. How you act tells people a lot about you. You act like you have no empathy, which would tell me, that you lack empathy. It is pretty simple. Look at the definition I posted, and tell me that you have ""the ability to understand and share the feelings" of atheists or gay people, for example. Please, tell us how you do, because your posts say much differently.

Having empathy does not mean you "lay down and refuse to defend your faith." It would, instead, mean that you do so, with empathy. This isn't too hard Jeff, so please lay down your persecution card, and join us in reality.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
If you truly subscribed to the lie of atheism and evolution then you would indeed have to admit that your feelings of love are nothing but chemicals and your life has no more value or importance than the chicken I ate for dinner.
"Nothing but chemicals" ......Who created chemicals, Jeff? God?

Or did Satan create them? You seem to have a disdain for chemicals. Why is that?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-20-2016 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
I believe atheists are certainly capable of love and compassion because we are made in the image of God. The fact that you do feel love for your wife stands as proof that we are created beings, not mere random products of biology. If you truly subscribed to the lie of atheism and evolution then you would indeed have to admit that your feelings of love are nothing but chemicals and your life has no more value or importance than the chicken I ate for dinner.
Like the time that you told me that if I really was an atheist that it would not bother me if someone came into my house and raped and killed my wife. Telling me that watching my wife be rapped and murdered and telling me that this should not bother me is you defending your religious beliefs and in showing empathy? No it is simply your claim that those who do not think exactly as you do are less than subhuman. These views of yours are indefensible. This has nothing to do on if there is a God or not, or if your Bible is the literal truth or just a guide.

No this is all about Jeff's ability to demonize and dehumanizing all those who do not totally agree with him which allows you to say anything to anyone with the belief that the have no right to actually disagree.

I have always been careful to not call your religion or your God a lie or make believe however why should I for any reason show your belief or religion and more respect that the next to none 5hat you show other religions, those that do not believe in any religion any other aspect of life you love to trash. No doubt you will take this simply as an angry attack upon your God but just to make it very clear, it is a response to the words of Jeff using his religious beliefs as a weapon to beat upon others.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Well I do not subscribe to this lie you speak of. Just because I do not accept YOUR narrative of how things should be valued, does not mean that I assign the same value to my feelings for my wife as to a chicken dinner. One is more valuable than the other because I choose to assign a higher value to it, not because some invisible being has already assigned a higher value and I'm just going along with it.

And guess what ... most people care more about their loved ones than a chicken dinner regardless of their (ir)religious convictions ... funny how that works. The notion that people would quit loving because they don't follow your pet deity's edicts is pretty manifestly not true.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well I do not subscribe to this lie you speak of. Just because I do not accept YOUR narrative of how things should be valued, does not mean that I assign the same value to my feelings for my wife as to a chicken dinner. One is more valuable than the other because I choose to assign a higher value to it, not because some invisible being has already assigned a higher value and I'm just going along with it.

And guess what ... most people care more about their loved ones than a chicken dinner regardless of their (ir)religious convictions ... funny how that works. The notion that people would quit loving because they don't follow your pet deity's edicts is pretty manifestly not true.
It is little wonder he keeps calling us enemies, to him if we do not accept his worldview we are less than human, less than most vertebrate species perhaps. Is this even a norm for other Bible Believers?

Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Nothing but chemicals" ......Who created chemicals, Jeff? God?

Or did Satan create them? You seem to have a disdain for chemicals. Why is that?
God created your spirit which is your unique identity. That is not something tangible and physical that science can explain. Do you DENY that you are unique?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Like the time that you told me that if I really was an atheist that it would not bother me if someone came into my house and raped and killed my wife. Telling me that watching my wife be rapped and murdered and telling me that this should not bother me is you defending your religious beliefs and in showing empathy? No it is simply your claim that those who do not think exactly as you do are less than subhuman. These views of yours are indefensible. This has nothing to do on if there is a God or not, or if your Bible is the literal truth or just a guide.
I don't recall ever saying that, and if I did, it had to be in some specific type of context and something I posted a long time ago. If that really sticks in your mind that much, you need to stop taking an online discussion forum so seriously. I can honestly say that when I walk away from the computer, your and your buddies venomous comments don't linger for long.

Quote:

No this is all about Jeff's ability to demonize and dehumanizing all those who do not totally agree with him which allows you to say anything to anyone with the belief that the have no right to actually disagree.
Well here's a suggestion. Get this, it may be so hard for you to grasp, but here's all you and your friends have to do. Be NICE. Stop attacking me personally and throwing big fits just because I have a different viewpoint. I have said from the beginning. All I want is a friendly non-hostile conversation. Sad that this is practically IMPOSSIBLE with atheist ilk because they hate God so much. And you hate God because you belong to Satan now. It's a heartbreaking reality.

Quote:

I have always been careful to not call your religion or your God a lie or make believe however why should I for any reason show your belief or religion and more respect that the next to none 5hat you show other religions, those that do not believe in any religion any other aspect of life you love to trash. No doubt you will take this simply as an angry attack upon your God but just to make it very clear, it is a response to the words of Jeff using his religious beliefs as a weapon to beat upon others.
You are actually engaged in any discussion that I get involved in and say nothing when your friends do mock and rip apart Christians so that makes you just as guilty in my book.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I would hope no one subscribes to the lie because it is a lie. It's the lie of atheism. All you are doing here is showing me that when we strip your beliefs to the core, you really don't buy fully into atheism and evolution. In that world, the chicken dinner has just as much value and right to life as your wife. If someone truly buys into evolution then they are a hypocrite for blasting the Bible about slavery when in turn, they have no problem taking their family to the zoo. They are supporting slavery in that context.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Sad that this is practically IMPOSSIBLE with atheist ilk because they hate God so much. And you hate God because you belong to Satan now.
Does that mean I also hate Bigfoot, or Nessie?

I wonder who most uses the word "hate" on here -such an overused word imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality