Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
As sure as there is God and angels, there is Satan and demoms..As sure as there is good there is evil..

I agree...they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
People can be glib if they want to. Of course demons and evil spirits exist. However, in the Name of Jesus....they are irrelevant. Speak the Word of God and they lose their power anyway.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM

327 posts, read 755,129 times
When I was around 20, me and two of my cousins all moved into the same house together. Late one night I felt a presence in the room. I couldn't move and I could hardly breath. It felt like some thing was on top of me stabbing me over and over again with a knife or scratching me with its claws. It was a TERRIFYING experience the first time it happened.

Um, no, I don't believe in demons at all.

Come to find out, I was experiencing something called sleep paralysis back then, and I eventually learned to ignore it and just try to go back to sleep.

More often than not when someone says they were alone and felt an evil presence in a house, what they describe is almost perfectly in line with a panic attack. No monsters, no nothing.

It'd be nice when people experience something weird, they'd look for other more logical answers beside this demon mythology. Maybe then it'd be possible to get real help for whatever problem it is they're having.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 AM

320 posts, read 449,275 times
Heres My thoughts On this subject!

Whats Most Interesting Is. Todays! Thriller Movies and Horror Movies, that have graced our screens for example. The Movie "Legeon" Main Character "Will Smith" I mean where do they come up with such Horrid looking creatures in todays movies!

Jesus said! "It's not what goes into a man that makes him unclean but it's, what comes out of him that makes him unclean!

And what comes out on the movies sure must be, whats in the Producers, Directors and Script Writers! "Unleash Their Demons!!

Do Ghost/Spirits/Demons Exist! Come On Now. Don't Be In Deniel! Of course they exist! one only has to pick up a movie and see for themselves all the Evil thats in the Minds of movie Producers/ Script Writers/ and Directors.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The belief in gods, devils, demons, angels, miracles, etc has survived thru the centuries only because there never has been a shortage of gullible people. The beliefs have survived also because masses were less educated and easier to manipulate by threats of hell. Questioning the beliefs was not allowed, and was punishable, often by death. Because of these beliefs, many people have been burned at the stake or tortured to death.
Alchemists believed that base metals could be converted into gold while others believed that diseases were caused by demonic possession.
As humanity slowly (very slowly) trudges along, we have known for some time that gold cannot be made from metals, and that diseases are caused by viruses, not by demons.
It's simple, people cling desperately to beliefs, regardless of all evidence to the contrary.
Nietzsche said it much better, "A dozen logical reasons will not overturn what the herd has learned to believe".
Believing something to be true does not make it true.
When looking at all the advances made in science, technology, medicine, etc in just the last hundred years, it's still amazing that we still have people who are like the masses that lived 400 years before the discovery of electricity.
Quote:
The belief in gods, devils, demons, angels, miracles, etc has survived thru the centuries only because there never has been a shortage of gullible people. The beliefs have survived also because masses were less educated and easier to manipulate by threats of hell.
So, your saying the uneducated are the ones who are keeping God alive. Then what about these famous Scientist, Nicholas Copernicus, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler , Galileo Galilei , Rene Descartes , Isaac Newton , Robert Boyle , Michael Faraday , Gregor Mendel , William Thomson Kelvin , Max Planck , Albert Einstein .

These people sure are not uneducated, so I'm sure you will say that they are gullible, but I doubt that.

It funny that you say that our technology have advanced in science, yes, and these are scientist who believe in God. But I guess maybe you don't like these kinds of scientist.

Francis Collins is a scientist who believes in God.

These are nobel scientist who believe in God

1. Albert EINSTEIN – Nobel Laureate in Physics
2. Max PLANCK – Nobel Laureate in Physics
3. Erwin SCHROEDINGER – Nobel Laureate in Physics
4. Werner HEISENBERG – Nobel Laureate in Physics
5. Robert MILLIKAN – Nobel Laureate in Physics
6. Charles TOWNES – Nobel Laureate in Physics
7. Arthur SCHAWLOW – Nobel Laureate in Physics
8. William PHILLIPS – Nobel Laureate in Physics
9. William BRAGG – Nobel Laureate in Physics
10. Guglielmo MARCONI – Nobel Laureate in Physics
11. Arthur COMPTON – Nobel Laureate in Physics
12. Arno PENZIAS – Nobel Laureate in Physics
13. Nevill MOTT – Nobel Laureate in Physics
14. Isidor Isaac RABI – Nobel Laureate in Physics
15. Abdus SALAM – Nobel Laureate in Physics
16. Antony HEWISH – Nobel Laureate in Physics
17. Joseph H. TAYLOR, Jr. – Nobel Laureate in Physics
18. Alexis CARREL – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
19. John ECCLES – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
20. Joseph MURRAY – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
21. Ernst CHAIN – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
22. George WALD – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
23. Ronald ROSS – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
24. Derek BARTON – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
25. Christian ANFINSEN – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
26. Walter KOHN – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
27. Richard SMALLEY – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry

I'm sure they went through all the ropes of testing and others!!

Quote:
It's simple, people cling desperately to beliefs, regardless of all evidence to the contrary.
So, what type of evidence do you think that these scientist were over looking that could have proved to them that there was no God? What type of scientific information do you have or understand that you think that they did not understood

I'm not attacking you not believing in God, but your argument of uneducated is weak, because the uneducated are really not the ones who are well known for spreading the most information. It's the highly educated who go through extreme lengths to research and study beyound measure to prove something.

Look at uneducated atheists, lets get real their really only talking alot of noise, because you don't see them on t.v. or making a big impact. It is the atheists who are really doing the research and have a brain who have the most impact.

So, this is not about the uneducated, it is about the educated.

I meet uneducated atheists all the time and they are the ones who are debating on the side with no impact, due to lack of knowledge, research, information, understanding, wisdom, and so many more.

But when I meet atheists who actually study, research, have information that they research (not information that they copied and pasted and now believe), time that they spend looking and trying to find if something is false or not, now I respect them, because they actually took the time to research. You can tell who do and who don't.

Sorry, I don't respect atheists who are not really doing anything to understand what they are trying to prove. You can see the atheists who flow with the internet and the lasted news. If the head line is Eve never existed, then over half of atheists who are uneducated are going to run with that line, with little to no research.

But an educated atheists will research and tell you why that can't happen with his research, not a copied and paste article.

Now, I will say this also, I don't have respect for some Christian who can't tell why they believe in what they believe either. So, this is not a atheists/christian thing.

So, the bottom line is this is really about the educated who are really doing the work that are causing the most impact

I respect atheists who are doing real research, and I have found on here that some don't really crack the surface of doing any actual research. But you will find some Christians who don't do alot of research, but it goes hand and hand.

Either way, if someone doesn't research the information to educated themself about what they believe or not believe, that person is a fool. The world is filled with foolish people without any information. All you have to do is listen or wait for them to open their mouths, or type. LOL, it's really entertaining.

It doesn't matter to me what people believe, but if they don't have information, knowledge, research, data and the such they really just need to shut it, until they have what they are talking about. I really get ticked with people who say they are what ever, but can't even tell you why, they have to read someone elses information to tell you. I call those people stupid. I often ask why do you believe this, or where did you get that from, and they post a link, stupid. I didn't ask who did you read it from and what they believe, tell me why you believe it.

If someone believes that trees talk, then tell why you believe it and atleast have your own research. If you ask me or someone who is Christian, I'm sure you don't want to read my posted links and other people's information.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 07-17-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM

33,533 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
So, your saying the uneducated are the ones who are keeping God alive. Then what about these famous Scientist, Nicholas Copernicus, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler , Galileo Galilei , Rene Descartes , Isaac Newton , Robert Boyle , Michael Faraday , Gregor Mendel , William Thomson Kelvin , Max Planck , Albert Einstein .

These people sure are not uneducated, so I'm sure you will say that they are gullible, but I doubt that.

It funny that you say that our technology have advanced in science, yes, and these are scientist who believe in God. But I guess maybe you don't like these kinds of scientist.

Francis Collins is a scientist who believes in God.

These are nobel scientist who believe in God

1. Albert EINSTEIN – Nobel Laureate in Physics
2. Max PLANCK – Nobel Laureate in Physics
3. Erwin SCHROEDINGER – Nobel Laureate in Physics
4. Werner HEISENBERG – Nobel Laureate in Physics
5. Robert MILLIKAN – Nobel Laureate in Physics
6. Charles TOWNES – Nobel Laureate in Physics
7. Arthur SCHAWLOW – Nobel Laureate in Physics
8. William PHILLIPS – Nobel Laureate in Physics
9. William BRAGG – Nobel Laureate in Physics
10. Guglielmo MARCONI – Nobel Laureate in Physics
11. Arthur COMPTON – Nobel Laureate in Physics
12. Arno PENZIAS – Nobel Laureate in Physics
13. Nevill MOTT – Nobel Laureate in Physics
14. Isidor Isaac RABI – Nobel Laureate in Physics
15. Abdus SALAM – Nobel Laureate in Physics
16. Antony HEWISH – Nobel Laureate in Physics
17. Joseph H. TAYLOR, Jr. – Nobel Laureate in Physics
18. Alexis CARREL – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
19. John ECCLES – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
20. Joseph MURRAY – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
21. Ernst CHAIN – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
22. George WALD – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
23. Ronald ROSS – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology
24. Derek BARTON – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
25. Christian ANFINSEN – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
26. Walter KOHN – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
27. Richard SMALLEY – Nobel Laureate in Chemistry

I'm sure they went through all the ropes of testing and others!!

So, what type of evidence do you think that these scientist were over looking that could have proved to them that there was no God? What type of scientific information do you have or understand that you think that they did not understood

I'm not attacking you not believing in God, but your argument of uneducated is weak, because the uneducated are really not the ones who are well known for spreading the most information. It's the highly educated who go through extreme lengths to research and study beyound measure to prove something.

Look at uneducated atheists, lets get real their really only talking alot of noise, because you don't see them on t.v. or making a big impact. It is the atheists who are really doing the research and have a brain who have the most impact.

So, this is not about the uneducated, it is about the educated.

I meet uneducated atheists all the time and they are the ones who are debating on the side with no impact, due to lack of knowledge, research, information, understanding, wisdom, and so many more.

But when I meet atheists who actually study, research, have information that they research (not information that they copied and pasted and now believe), time that they spend looking and trying to find if something is false or not, now I respect them, because they actually took the time to research. You can tell who do and who don't.

Sorry, I don't respect atheists who are not really doing anything to understand what they are trying to prove. You can see the atheists who flow with the internet and the lasted news. If the head line is Eve never existed, then over half of atheists who are uneducated are going to run with that line, with little to no research.

But an educated atheists will research and tell you why that can't happen with his research, not a copied and paste article.

Now, I will say this also, I don't have respect for some Christian who can't tell why they believe in what they believe either. So, this is not a atheists/christian thing.

So, the bottom line is this is really about the educated who are really doing the work that are causing the most impact

I respect atheists who are doing real research, and I have found on here that some don't really crack the surface of doing any actual research. But you will find some Christians who don't do alot of research, but it goes hand and hand.

Either way, if someone doesn't research the information to educated themself about what they believe or not believe, that person is a fool. The world is filled with foolish people without any information. All you have to do is listen or wait for them to open their mouths, or type. LOL, it's really entertaining.

It doesn't matter to me what people believe, but if they don't have information, knowledge, research, data and the such they really just need to shut it, until they have what they are talking about. I really get ticked with people who say they are what ever, but can't even tell you why, they have to read someone elses information to tell you. I call those people stupid. I often ask why do you believe this, or where did you get that from, and they post a link, stupid. I didn't ask who did you read it from and what they believe, tell me why you believe it.

If someone believes that trees talk, then tell why you believe it and atleast have your own research. If you ask me or someone who is Christian, I'm sure you don't want to read my posted links and other people's information.
I don't know where you got that list, and I know that it is not accurate.

Albert Einstein........ In a 1950 letter to M. Berkowitz, Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic.

Here is a survey done over the years.

Larson and Witham present the results of a replication of 1913 and 1933 surveys by James H. Leuba. In those surveys, Leuba mailed a questionnaire to leading scientists asking about their belief in "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind" and in "personal immortality". Larson and Witham used the same wording [as in the Leuba studies], and sent their questionnaire to 517 members of the [U.S.] National Academy of Sciences from the biological and physical sciences (the latter including mathematicians, physicists and astronomers). The return rate was slightly over 50%.

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914 1933 1998

Personal belief 27.7% 15% 7.0%
Personal disbelief 52.7% 68 % 72.2%
Doubt or agnosticism 20.9% 17% 20.8%

Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't know where you got that list, and I know that it is not accurate.

Albert Einstein........ In a 1950 letter to M. Berkowitz, Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic.

Here is a survey done over the years.

Larson and Witham present the results of a replication of 1913 and 1933 surveys by James H. Leuba. In those surveys, Leuba mailed a questionnaire to leading scientists asking about their belief in "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind" and in "personal immortality". Larson and Witham used the same wording [as in the Leuba studies], and sent their questionnaire to 517 members of the [U.S.] National Academy of Sciences from the biological and physical sciences (the latter including mathematicians, physicists and astronomers). The return rate was slightly over 50%.

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914 1933 1998

Personal belief 27.7% 15% 7.0%
Personal disbelief 52.7% 68 % 72.2%
Doubt or agnosticism 20.9% 17% 20.8%
Well, if you would have done more research then you would know more about him.

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)
[LEFT]
I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)[/LEFT]

Importantly and profoundly, we can now understand our true 'spirituality', our connection to 'god' stated by Einstein.

He is a weird one, he often would back and forth in what he believed. But he believed in a God, not a personal God.

Oh, what I provided is accurate I actually took the time to look up the people, unlike some.

Max PLANCK Planck expressed the view that God is everywhere present, and held that "the holiness of the unintelligible Godhead is conveyed by the holiness of symbols

Issac Newton - Newton wrote a number of religious tracts dealing with the literal interpretation of the Bible, as he considered himself to be one of a select group of individuals who were specially chosen by God. God is essential to the nature and absoluteness of space.

Erwin SCHROEDINGER -We know that whenever God is experienced, it is an experience exactly as real as a direct sense impression, as real as one's own personality

Nicholas Copernicus - He attended various European universities, and became a Canon in the Catholic church in 1497, and was under attack.

Sir Francis Bacon - "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity

Johannes Kepler - Galileo expressly said that the Bible cannot err, and saw his system as an alternate interpretation of the biblical texts.

Rene Descartes - God is, therefore, central to his whole philosophy.

Robert Boyle - Boyle wrote against atheists in his day.

Michael Faraday - Faraday was a devoutly Christian member of the Sandemanians.

I could continue going down the list.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 07-17-2009 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, if you would have done more research then you would know more about him.

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

He is a weird one, he often would back and forth in what he believed. But he believed in a God.
Here you go again with "you didn't do your research"

Actually I did, and you are right, Einstein seemed to flip back and forth.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.
Albert Einstein

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein

Then he says... I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion.
Albert Einstein

The quote I like best is this one...Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
Albert Einstein

Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here you go again with "you didn't do your research"

Actually I did, and you are right, Einstein seemed to flip back and forth.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.
Albert Einstein

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein

Then he says... I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion.
Albert Einstein

The quote I like best is this one...Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
Albert Einstein
LOL, it seems to bother you that scientist who believe in God who were famous.

Einstein believed in a god that was not personal and more in touch with nature. He said that the universe brought him in tune with this God. Sorry, he is a scientist and believed in a god. It didn't matter if he flipped back and forth, he believed in impersonal god.

Einstein- (Go and look at the stars at night and really think about how you exist in the universe, that amazing universe you can see is really what you are - that is why you can see it! It is a very cool spiritual experience - and it is true!)

Einsten also stated that all is one and interconnected with nature/God of which we humans are an inseparable part.

The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.
( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

Einstein didn't believe in a God that answered prayers. When he wrote his letter to M. Berkowitz, he wrote My positon concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convicned that a vivid conciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on a basis or reward and punishment.

This does not say that he does not believe in a god, because he said that he did. He just doesn't believe in a god that rewards or punishes by law.

Agnostic means someone who is doubtful. He was doubtful, but believed in a god.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 07-17-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM

I could care less who believes in God...You assume too much. Why would it matter if a scientist believes in God or not, as long as it doesn't insert bias into his work....The fact remains that less than 10% do believe, and I suppose that must bother you enough so that you make a great effort to try to find a bunch who do....As I said who cares, as long as you are clear about what you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality