Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM

356 posts, read 1,126,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanien'keha:ka View Post
Well through my beliefs and my outlook on life, there is no supreme being in this world. In my people's creation story, the person that we term "Creator" is but an energy. All of the people in our creation story were but energies. We were created from the land; we are part of that land. Science is only starting to realize this now but my people and all native people have known it for thousands of years. We shouldn't look up to all supreme being because there's no such thing. When we die, our bodies go back to our mother the earth and we help fertilizer her. When our mother begins to die, (which once again the Scientist are only starting to realize now), is that we will start to die also. Our mother is calling for more clean bodies to come to her to help her survive. If we abuse ourselves and worry ourselves a petty little things, we are only making ourselves unhealthy. If we are always drinking and doing drugs and disrespecting our bodies in various ways, what are we giving back to our mother when we die? We can't look to a supreme being because he won't do anything for you, you have to look at yourself in the world and how you're living your life. The only way to change your own life, and better yourself, is by getting in touch with yourself. Learn your true-self and you'll be happy. If you can understand yourself in the huge world that is around us, you will be a happy person. If you are always looking for someone to help you and you're not even giving it an attempt to figure things out by yourself...well you're not going to get anywhere. Like it was mentioned in this discussion....if you keep sitting on your bed and praying to someone who is not there, you're not going to get anything out of it. It all comes down to looking at ourselves and figuring ourselves out before we can make any sort of change in our own lives. Before we think of anything else we have to get in touch with our inner spirit, because that's the only true way to a happy life. Getting in touch with yourself will lay you at rest and you will be giving something good back to our mother. What we do during our time on earth effects what happens in the future. So instead of just praying, get out there and live your life. Get out and plant gardens, pick up that trash that you see lying on the road. To things that are fun; be active and help our mother. She is beginning to die, and if we don't start taking care of her, by first taking care of ourselves, we are all going to perish with her. If we can't take care of ourselves, how are we supposed to take care of the earth around us and all the natural things that we were giving to sustane out lives. We have to be thankful for all the natural world; all the animals, because without them we wouldn't be able to survive. The animals and plants were here before any person EVER set foot on this earth. They are what has enabled us to live on the earth. If we disrespect ourselves, thus causing us to disrespect the natural world and our mother; we are just going to perish along with it. We have to look at ourselves and say, "Who am I in this huge world, and what am I doing with myself that is going to have a positive affect on my life and everything that lives around me? For those are the things that sustain my life." No devine being is going to help anyone through what is going to happen, everyone has to look at themselves and change themselves for us to save our mother. She is crying and slowly dying, what are we doing to help her?
Nicely put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,425,540 times
Staceface, here is my opinion..I think deep down in the depths of your soul there is a struggle going on that neither you or we can explain. Speaking only about myself, but hoping that maybe it will help you... I don't blame anything on God, I don't get mad at him for my mistakes or for not making my life heaven on earth. He never promised me those things. I have had my share of ups and downs in this long life. There have been times when I forgot to pray or even talk to God, but still I knew he was there, inside of me, allowing me to be human , to seek out new thoughts, to experience new things and to feel every human emotion..Many times I still felt His presence more than other times, and finally I understood that he was more present when my soul was in danger..I have a personal relationship with God..He is my friend, my confident and my greatest advisor..IMO people have to seek out a personal relationship..One on one..People can help you but at the end of the day I think God wants you to make the first move

Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM

46 posts, read 112,917 times
I was very religious as a young man, than I began to have doubts. It is part of the maturing and educational process to doubt what others have told you. I became an agnostic and progressed to atheism as I studied science, and became a scientist. For many years I was an avowed atheist. Now, as an older gentleman, with much introspection, circumspection, and research, I began to see that there is much to be understood that science and organized religion cannot provide. So all is not lost. Don't give up the quest. There is much to be learned in the SEARCHING.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:29 PM

157 posts, read 622,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
Sorry if this makes no sense, it's just one of those "type what you feel" things...

Why is it that I need to think of an afterlife? I've given up Christianity... and now I'm questioning all religion itself, but I find it so hard to think of this as all we've got. I really wish that I was never taught of religion so that I wouldn't stress over this, because it really bothers me. Am I that shallow that I can't find any God? Because I've tried so hard. I used to pray, every single day since I can remember, and when my prayers just became a routine that I wanted to get out of my way I began to question my religion... and when God disapointed me I questioned my religion...

So Christianity wasn't right for me, and I thought I had another idea of spirituality, but it just doesn't seem to make sense. As I think to myself.. I just realize that all I'm doing by creating these beliefs is just trying to create the idea of an afterlife to comfort myself, even though almost eveything is explainable through science. So, am I shallow because I have no spirituality anymore? Does it make me more shallow because I once had religion and lost it.... I'm so lost right now that it hurts me... I need guidance and I can no longer look to any God.
Staceface,

I believe everyone is born with an emptiness of soul or a vacuum that needs to be filled. That is the place that is meant for our Creator God. People that don't believe in God will fill that emptiness with something, money, alcohol, drugs, other gods.

You're not shallow, you are on a quest and everyone, believer or non-believer comes to that place in their life to re-evaluate why they believe what they believe. When I was in college I was faced with a tough decision of whether I would continue to live the christian faith or walk out. It was scary because some of my closest friends were walking away from it and wanting me to follow. To make a long story short I chose to stay in the faith with God. That choice brought me so much peace and happiness I didn't know existed. My life has not been all roses since that day. I have had many ups and terribly low downs but God has been there to help me through it all and I will never regret my decision.
There is a controversy of good and evil that goes on in the human mind each day. God wants us and so does the enemy. I will pray that you allow God to win your heart in this case but ultimately it is your choice as God has given us all a free will to choose Him or turn our backs.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,293,522 times
Reason, fact, science, logic. Surely they have changed over the millenium?
What appears true today, will it be true tomorrow? Can they be trusted?
For those that answer yes, then reason, fact, science and logic could be enough.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,426,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Staceface,

I believe everyone is born with an emptiness of soul or a vacuum that needs to be filled. That is the place that is meant for our Creator God. People that don't believe in God will fill that emptiness with something, money, alcohol, drugs, other gods.
I really hope you are not implying that people who don't believe in god, or even your god, have only bad options to fill voids with. Doesn't that seem a little shallow? Do you know anybody that doesn't believe in your god? If so, are they really that bad?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,425,540 times
If there is an empty place in the nonbelieverI am sure it is filled with a lot of respect for everyone no matter what their belief or nonbelief is..I just wish christians/ believers would not be so sarcastic and all knowing.. God wants believers to be an example of His love, not the devils hate.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,218,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagaBond12 View Post

There is much to be learned in the SEARCHING.
Now there is wisdom.

Take gentle care

Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,689 times

Hi staceface,

This is my first time in this site. your question caught my eyes because I was also asking myself of a similar question. But I'm still not on the point of disregarding religion anymore. My question summarized is just "What's all these religions, and faith and worship to me?" I still believe in religion, I still believe in faith and I still believe that one should look up to One superpower that takes hold of all our lives.

I can sense in your letter that you still "have spiritually" coz otherwise, you would not bother raising these inquiries.

I hope we could share insights with one another so at least we could lift each others spirits.

let me just ask you one question...DO YOU STILL BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
Sorry if this makes no sense, it's just one of those "type what you feel" things...

Why is it that I need to think of an afterlife? I've given up Christianity... and now I'm questioning all religion itself, but I find it so hard to think of this as all we've got. I really wish that I was never taught of religion so that I wouldn't stress over this, because it really bothers me. Am I that shallow that I can't find any God? Because I've tried so hard. I used to pray, every single day since I can remember, and when my prayers just became a routine that I wanted to get out of my way I began to question my religion... and when God disapointed me I questioned my religion...

So Christianity wasn't right for me, and I thought I had another idea of spirituality, but it just doesn't seem to make sense. As I think to myself.. I just realize that all I'm doing by creating these beliefs is just trying to create the idea of an afterlife to comfort myself, even though almost eveything is explainable through science. So, am I shallow because I have no spirituality anymore? Does it make me more shallow because I once had religion and lost it.... I'm so lost right now that it hurts me... I need guidance and I can no longer look to any God.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 PM

6 posts, read 10,689 times
Default nice message blue 62

this is nice blue 62
in one way or the other we have similar experiences with our common friend GOD....
have a blessed day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Staceface, here is my opinion..I think deep down in the depths of your soul there is a struggle going on that neither you or we can explain. Speaking only about myself, but hoping that maybe it will help you... I don't blame anything on God, I don't get mad at him for my mistakes or for not making my life heaven on earth. He never promised me those things. I have had my share of ups and downs in this long life. There have been times when I forgot to pray or even talk to God, but still I knew he was there, inside of me, allowing me to be human , to seek out new thoughts, to experience new things and to feel every human emotion..Many times I still felt His presence more than other times, and finally I understood that he was more present when my soul was in danger..I have a personal relationship with God..He is my friend, my confident and my greatest advisor..IMO people have to seek out a personal relationship..One on one..People can help you but at the end of the day I think God wants you to make the first move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality