Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times

Advertisements

I just read this verse in another thread and did not want to derail the thread. It seems in John 14:1 He is speaking of God as a separate entity from Himself. Notice he is speaking of a separate entity not of a "Manifestation of the Trinity" Such as Father.

John 14:1

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

“Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God; believe also in Me."

Common English Bible (CEB)

“Don’t be troubled. Trust in God. Trust also in me."

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

“Don’t let yourselves be disturbed. Trust in God and trust in me.

Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

"Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me."

]New International Version (NIV)

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Red is reserved for moderator actions within posts. Any other color is okay. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,090,083 times
If anything, this strengthens the idea that He is God. He is telling them to trust in Himself---just as they would God, The Father.

The question I'd ask at this point is, do you understand what the Trinity is? I'd be curious to see what your definition of it is.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If anything, this strengthens the idea that He is God. He is telling them to trust in Himself---just as they would God, The Father.

The question I'd ask at this point is, do you understand what the Trinity is? I'd be curious to see what your definition of it is.
When I was a Christian I would have answered "The Trinity is one God, in three Persons, one Being made up of three distinct Persons who exist in co-equal essence and co-eternal communion as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Which I sincerely believed for over 45 years.

Today my answer is it is a false doctrine based on Greek Mythology and is pseudo-polytheism.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,578,488 times
Jesus is Son of God, and God himself.

There was Earthly and Heavenly God, all the same.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When I was a Christian I would have answered "The Trinity is one God, in three Persons, one Being made up of three distinct Persons who exist in co-equal essence and co-eternal communion as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Which I sincerely believed for over 45 years.

Today my answer is it is a false doctrine based on Greek Mythology and is pseudo-polytheism.
Your definition of the Trinity (at least while you were acting as a Christian) is correct. That would mean that Jesus, The Son, could refer to himself separately from God, the Father. Both are God. To suggest that a person should trust in BOTH of them equally would be heresy if Jesus is not God.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,908,756 times
Woodrow it is paradoxical

3=1
1=3 There are 3 separate entities 1 God or 1 God and 3 separate entities(Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Your definition of the Trinity (at least while you were acting as a Christian) is correct. That would mean that Jesus, The Son, could refer to himself separately from God, the Father. Both are God. To suggest that a person should trust in BOTH of them equally would be heresy if Jesus is not God.

When a Trinitarian speaks of God, he means The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The sentence is illogical if Jesus(as) believed he was part of a Trinity.

If he had said:

"
“Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in The Father; believe also in Me."

He would have been indicating He also was God. Remember he was speaking to non-Trinitarian Jews that would not have related to the concept of God including Jesus(as). While if he said Father that would have related to a trinitarian concept.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
When a Trinitarian speaks of God, he means The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The sentence is illogical if Jesus(as) believed he was part of a Trinity.

If he had said:

"
“Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in The Father; believe also in Me."

He would have been indicating He also was God. Remember he was speaking to non-Trinitarian Jews that would not have related to the concept of God including Jesus(as). While if he said Father that would have related to a trinitarian concept.
He was referring to the Father---and told them to believe in Him----along with Himself. The Gospels didn't always use what we'd call "proper grammar". Earlier in John's Gospel he said he was the "I AM". The Jews he was speaking to knew what he meant and tried to stone him for it.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
He was referring to the Father---and told them to believe in Him----along with Himself. The Gospels didn't always use what we'd call "proper grammar". Earlier in John's Gospel he said he was the "I AM". The Jews he was speaking to knew what he meant and tried to stone him for it.
I agree the Bible often does not use proper Grammar. But, it does not seem logical anyone would have used Theos if they meant Pater.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I agree the Bible often does not use proper Grammar. But, it does not seem logical anyone would have used Theos if they meant Pater.
If he wanted to demonstrate Jesus' divinity, he would. John's Gospel is written with all sorts of references like that. It's what he was trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality