Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:01 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

So do dogs have an out of body experience when they're nearly killed by a car? Somehow I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 PM

130 posts, read 527,505 times
Love all creatures great and small for the Lord God made them all!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So do dogs have an out of body experience when they're nearly killed by a car? Somehow I don't think so.
Well I'm not convinced people do either...but that's for another thread I guess.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have to disagree...my dogs are discerning. They react to people they meet in an incredibly intuitive way. When they meet a stranger, they will guard, growl and bark at people they feel are a threat to us...and place themselves in between us and them. People they do think are nice get a wagging tail and are invited to greet them with petting and rubbing. I'm not sure what'd they'd do if they met you.

They run to my kids if they fall and get hurt, they jump up with kisses and affection if I'm upset or sad, and they bark at me if I yell at my husband...they don't like that. They feel depression, loss and sadness...I've seen this when one dies and the other is missing them. So yes they have a soul and I think I have a pretty good perspective on that.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
I hate to sound like I am trying to downplay the love one has for their pets. I love my dog and sometimes I am guilty of treating him as human too, but they don't see it the same way.

What you explain about your dogs irishmom is one of two things. You must first understand that dogs are pack animals and they live and die within the pack, not alone. Depending on how well you have trained your dogs, your pet will either view your family as a dominant alpha status or he will view him/herself as a dominant alpha status. Regardless, it is part of his job whether it be alpha or submissive, to protect the members of his pack. He views your entire family as part of his pack. I think that perhaps he barks at you when you yell at your husband because he understands that in his hierarchial mind your husband is the alpha male leader, and he (the dog) is ahead of you therefore you should not threaten the alpha male. Dogs in the wild cannot survive alone. This is their natural defense mechanism. I'm telling you guys, watch the Dog Whisperer some time he proves it OVER and OVER and OVER again.

The thing with dogs is that they have adapted to living with humans so well that we often mistake them for having minds like ours. They are truly remarkable animals, but believe it or not, the faster you understand how it "thinks" the better you will actually be able to train your dog, not that I'm implying you have ill-mannered dogs.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I hate to sound like I am trying to downplay the love one has for their pets. I love my dog and sometimes I am guilty of treating him as human too, but they don't see it the same way.

What you explain about your dogs irishmom is one of two things. You must first understand that dogs are pack animals and they live and die within the pack, not alone. Depending on how well you have trained your dogs, your pet will either view your family as a dominant alpha status or he will view him/herself as a dominant alpha status. Regardless, it is part of his job whether it be alpha or submissive, to protect the members of his pack. He views your entire family as part of his pack. I think that perhaps he barks at you when you yell at your husband because he understands that in his hierarchial mind your husband is the alpha male leader, and he (the dog) is ahead of you therefore you should not threaten the alpha male. Dogs in the wild cannot survive alone. This is their natural defense mechanism. I'm telling you guys, watch the Dog Whisperer some time he proves it OVER and OVER and OVER again.

The thing with dogs is that they have adapted to living with humans so well that we often mistake them for having minds like ours. They are truly remarkable animals, but believe it or not, the faster you understand how it "thinks" the better you will actually be able to train your dog, not that I'm implying you have ill-mannered dogs.
LOL...I'm pretty sure that my dogs know I'm the alpha in the house...but the dog that used to bark if someone was yelling was blind..and I think it freaked her out...the others just ignore it...I'm a yeller so if I want their attention I have to speak in a different tone. What is the Dog Whisperer someone else mentioned that, is it a show?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I wonder if June's little dog Misha as he's leaving this earthly life will suddenly see a beautiful white light and Misha's parents and relatives will appear as angelic figures to guide Misha to a heavenly paradise where dogs live forever and never have to eat a meal out of a can.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:43 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I wonder if June's little dog Misha as he's leaving this earthly life will suddenly see a beautiful white light and Misha's parents and relatives will appear as angelic figures to guide Misha to a heavenly paradise where dogs live forever and never have to eat a meal out of a can.
Ahhhhhh....

Montana: As one atheist to another, who both love the little sled dog, I can only say:

June certainly hopes so...

Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
their sole motivation is on a reward basis. They survive on several things: Food (duh!), Praise, Play, and Repetition.
I thought this was a discussion about dogs and souls; I didn't know we would open it up to human traits.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Talking The connection between dogs, men and gods

Originally Posted by SergeantL
Quote:
I thought this was a discussion about dogs and souls; I didn't know we would open it up to human traits.
Ambrose Bierce would beg to differ.

Quote:
Reverence: the spiritual attitude of a man to a god and a dog to a man.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary
Quotation Search - Quote Search - The Quotations Page

Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Default I just remembered...

A number of years ago I heard about a constable, (I believe in Scotland?) who used to go out on his nightly patrol bringing his dog. Upon his death, those who had known the constable and his constant, canine companion, "allowed" the dog to attend the grave side burial. For years afterwards, on a daily basis, people noticed the dog curled up and asleep on top of his deceased owner's grave...He apparrently would return, daily, to the gravesite...

Upon the dog's death, he was buried in the cemetery, in a little grave along side that of his owner...

"sigh"

Take gentle care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality