Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,256,933 times

Advertisements

Why or why not?

Proof, either way?

Is there an afterlife for animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,609,992 times
Hmm, interesting question. Personally, I tend to think that there may well be at least some sort of soul, simply because animals have such different personalities, and they can show genuine affection for their people. I don't think there's proof, one way or the other. You'll find arguments for and against the idea of animals having a soul, or having an afterlife, just the same as you do for an afterlife for people. No matter how strong one's beliefs are, we just can't prove an afterlife, or the lack thereof.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:46 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,299,010 times
Before anyone answers, they have to meet my dog. Then tell me he has no "soul"

Besides, what does a "new earth" mean anyway?
I think it means there won't be any fighting pit bulls.
Just nice ones.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,429,720 times
I hate to sound callous but dogs have perfected the art of companionship over the last 10-15k years. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful creatures, and I have a dog myself, who I am very attached to. But, their sole motivation is on a reward basis. They survive on several things: Food (duh!), Praise, Play, and Repetition. It always bothers me when people say "Oh my dog, he knows exactly what I'm saying, and he loves me." Actually dogs don't know exactly what you're saying, regardless of how intuitive they may seem. They are, however, masterminds at reading body language and picking up on certain words, and possibly phrases, that typically come prior to something good happening to them.

I'll give you an example. My wife and I are both smokers. Yes, disgusting habit, spare me the lecture We do not smoke in the house and when my dog was a puppy we would frequently go outside to smoke and to let him out. Well, I would always just ask my wife "Hey, do you wanna go smoke?" and then we'd get the dog and bring him out. Well, now, my dog does not know the meaning of "Let's go out" he only understands "Let's go smoke". It's repetition of an event that leads to a positive reinforcement that the dog follows.

Do any of you have a certain treat you give your dog? Have you ever noticed that the second you open the pantry or door the treat is in, your dog is almost already waiting? If he didn't hear the door open wait till you crinkle the bag a bit. It won't take him long will it?

As I said, dogs are easy creatures to see through if you understand them. Watch the Dog Whisperer sometime, you'll see what I'm talking about. Why is your dog so happy when you come home? Because he knows the second you walk in that door and he gives you a slobbery kiss that you are going to give him all kinds of attention. Then, you are probably going to take him outside, and then you are going to feed him. I'd be jumping on you too!!!

But, as far as souls are concerned, I don't think any animal, including humans, have souls.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I hate to sound callous but dogs have perfected the art of companionship over the last 10-15k years. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful creatures, and I have a dog myself, who I am very attached to. But, their sole motivation is on a reward basis. They survive on several things: Food (duh!), Praise, Play, and Repetition. It always bothers me when people say "Oh my dog, he knows exactly what I'm saying, and he loves me." Actually dogs don't know exactly what you're saying, regardless of how intuitive they may seem. They are, however, masterminds at reading body language and picking up on certain words, and possibly phrases, that typically come prior to something good happening to them.

I'll give you an example. My wife and I are both smokers. Yes, disgusting habit, spare me the lecture We do not smoke in the house and when my dog was a puppy we would frequently go outside to smoke and to let him out. Well, I would always just ask my wife "Hey, do you wanna go smoke?" and then we'd get the dog and bring him out. Well, now, my dog does not know the meaning of "Let's go out" he only understands "Let's go smoke". It's repetition of an event that leads to a positive reinforcement that the dog follows.

Do any of you have a certain treat you give your dog? Have you ever noticed that the second you open the pantry or door the treat is in, your dog is almost already waiting? If he didn't hear the door open wait till you crinkle the bag a bit. It won't take him long will it?

As I said, dogs are easy creatures to see through if you understand them. Watch the Dog Whisperer sometime, you'll see what I'm talking about. Why is your dog so happy when you come home? Because he knows the second you walk in that door and he gives you a slobbery kiss that you are going to give him all kinds of attention. Then, you are probably going to take him outside, and then you are going to feed him. I'd be jumping on you too!!!

But, as far as souls are concerned, I don't think any animal, including humans, have souls.

WHAT!?

My dog doesn't love me more than my wife?

He's just a manipulative self centered beast?

Yea well, I still want the little rascal in heaven to play frisbee with.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,429,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
WHAT!?

My dog doesn't love me more than my wife?

He's just a manipulative self centered beast?

Yea well, I still want the little rascal in heaven to play frisbee with.
I don't know if I'd say they are manipulative self-centered beasts but they know how to play the hearts and minds of humans better than any other animal. Ever seen "puppy" eyes?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,794,824 times
Yup all animals have souls.

And for you bible literalists....

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Romans 8:19(KJV)
The lesser creatures await Christ's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.

Revelation 5:13 KJV
And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying. Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

So yes they will be in heaven too.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Yup all animals have souls.

And for you bible literalists....

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Romans 8:19(KJV)
The lesser creatures await Christ's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.

Revelation 5:13 KJV
And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying. Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

So yes they will be in heaven too.

Yea!!!

My little bud will be up there droolin on ma wings!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't know if I'd say they are manipulative self-centered beasts but they know how to play the hearts and minds of humans better than any other animal. Ever seen "puppy" eyes?
I think the beagles have been giving my 5 year old lessons...he does great puppy eyes.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Yea!!!

My little bud will be up there droolin on ma wings!!!
Oh yeah he'll be waiting for ya on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge for sure! Just be sure to find out where to get wings as soon as you arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality