U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,903,539 times

Advertisements

It's not something I've thought that much about, but if Christians are wrong and Jesus was not God made flesh, and the Jews, Muslims.etc are correct, I wonder how God, assuming the God of the Bible/Torah/Quran still exists, will treat Christians? I'm not saying I worry too much about it, but for the first time I really thought about it today, imagine if Christianity was a Jewish/Roman cult? It's kind of scary to think, I don't want you to second guess your faith, but I guess it's what atheists have been saying all along.

I wonder if we'll be sent to the deepest depths of hell, or endure a painful destruction? Do you think he could be at all merciful?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 5,160,406 times
Obviously maybe It would or maybe It wouldn't; depending on circumstances.
The Mormons say Jesus is a god (and God, although they are separate... whatever that even begins to mean) but that Christians that aren't Mormon will be punished for it. Even my evangelical sunday-school teacher believed in a sort of punishment for those denominations that weren't quite right but were still "Christian" in his view. I think he mentioned something about janitors vs kings as a career in heaven... whatever that even begins to mean.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 AM

Also those Christians who accuse Catholics of 'worshipping' Mary and the saints. While a few might, I think it's a gross misunderstanding. The narrow-minded myopia of fear-driven dogmatic fundamentalism can make one believe anything.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 AM

25,736 posts, read 27,143,967 times
I've wondered the same thing, Trimac. If Jesus wasn't really the messiah as foretold in the OT, wouldn't God be furious with those who raised a man to the status of God?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've wondered the same thing, Trimac. If Jesus wasn't really the messiah as foretold in the OT, wouldn't God be furious with those who raised a man to the status of God?
It's a scary thought I guess. Somewhat thankfully, I guess, the only likely scenario where that would occur is if Islam is right, or if the God of the Jews plus the Christian/Essene hell exists. Of course other religions had hell/hells, but would they be any more tolerant of elevating man to God?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 AM

25,736 posts, read 27,143,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's a scary thought I guess. Somewhat thankfully, I guess, the only likely scenario where that would occur is if Islam is right, or if the God of the Jews plus the Christian/Essene hell exists. Of course other religions had hell/hells, but would they be any more tolerant of elevating man to God?
Well, it's the God of Abraham specifically who says no other gods may be put before him, so if the "real God" were some other god, maybe they would in fact be more tolerant of it.

What I'd truly be afraid of would be pizzing off the Biblical God, Yaweh. He stated in many different ways (according to various books of the Bible) what, specifically, would make the messiah the messiah, and there's a lot Jesus did not fulfill. So specifically saying Jesus was God and Jesus was "the messiah" if he weren't, could be a bad, bad thing if the Biblical God is real.

If it's some other god, well, who knows?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, it's the God of Abraham specifically who says no other gods may be put before him, so if the "real God" were some other god, maybe they would in fact be more tolerant of it.

What I'd truly be afraid of would be pizzing off the Biblical God, Yaweh. He stated in many different ways (according to various books of the Bible) what, specifically, would make the messiah the messiah, and there's a lot Jesus did not fulfill. So specifically saying Jesus was God and Jesus was "the messiah" if he weren't, could be a bad, bad thing if the Biblical God is real.

If it's some other god, well, who knows?
Maybe. I guess there are aspects of Yahweh as presented in the OT I just don't find credible, with or without the NT, so I wonder if God would hold that against me anyway.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM

15,511 posts, read 14,539,976 times
From an Islamic view those who worship Jesus(as) are committing an unforgivable sin.

As for the punishment it is up to the Judgement of Allaah(swt) who is all merciful and will consider all reasons the person has done so. The worse punishment being for those who have no excuse for not knowing it is a sin and the least, possibly no punishment, will be those who did so through no fault of their own. Such as those who never had the opportunity to learn different.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM

8,395 posts, read 10,453,242 times
There are sooo many others as well. All different, all possible. All with consequences.

Have a question on this topic,
If you believe in the wrong thing even though you believe it's the right thing and you are devoted in your thinking, is that sinful? Does that constitute a road to hell? Or would you just be corrected during tribulation or some likely event and then just have to change direction real quick and profess your love and fellowship to the new version of God? I heard that's possible.

Always thought as long as you believe in something close he'd let you go on to heaven without punishment. Am I wrong about that? I'm a non believer so I'm sure I wouldn't get a pass but say Jehovah's Witnesses are correct I believe other religions would get a pass during the fiery time right before the end. If they switch devotion they get to go to the new kingdom or new earth. (or something similar)

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,890,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's not something I've thought that much about, but if Christians are wrong and Jesus was not God made flesh, and the Jews, Muslims.etc are correct, I wonder how God, assuming the God of the Bible/Torah/Quran still exists, will treat Christians? I'm not saying I worry too much about it, but for the first time I really thought about it today, imagine if Christianity was a Jewish/Roman cult? It's kind of scary to think, I don't want you to second guess your faith, but I guess it's what atheists have been saying all along.

I wonder if we'll be sent to the deepest depths of hell, or endure a painful destruction? Do you think he could be at all merciful?
Good question. From the truths of God and Jesus that I have learned over a span of 40 years, Jesus is not God and a belief in this concept is a false belief. If a person has love for God in their soul/heart, but still has erroneous beliefs, those beliefs will eventually need to be removed.

Does this mean they will automatically be doomed to hell for all eternity? No. The term "eternal" hell is a false belief.

Will Jesus greet the people who believe he is God upon their ascent into Heaven? No.

That said, what we learn on this side of life is extremely important as it determines our first place of habitation in the next life. But there is more learning and growing to be done there, if we fail to get our act together here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality