Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I believe "HE" just wants us to LOVE "HIM"
But if we don't love and worship him, we're punished and sent to hell. So we can suffer eternal pain, suffering and misery.

What kind of love is that?

Sounds awfully egotistical and dictatorial.

So basically we're bullied, intimidated and manipulated into worshiping him.

Or Else!

Ah yes, nothing says love like bondage, punishment and humiliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
^ Well, assuming that you believe in God as the Creator...why wouldn't you love Him? Does it make sense to feel any other way about your Creator? (If it was me, and my creations didn't love me, I suppose I'd consider committing them to damnation, too).

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
^ Well, assuming that you believe in God as the Creator...why wouldn't you love Him? Does it make sense to feel any other way about your Creator? (If it was me, and my creations didn't love me, I suppose I'd consider committing them to damnation, too).

That all seems like the flawed perception and emotional backlash of a very flawed human being.

How could a God that created our species be so flawed and emotionally unstable; as the flawed species he created?

And why would one be forced to worship something/someone just because that something/someone created you?

Why couldn't one just simply be happy to be alive and enjoy life, without worshiping their creator and getting punished for it?

Doesn't that seem like a human behavioral element?

If I create a painting...or a piece of music, it's obvious paintings and music can't worship me....their creator.

If I breed dogs and they have puppies, I don't expect the puppies to worship me or else suffer punishment.

I don't see the relevence or definitive need that a creator must be worshiped by his creations. Why?

Doesn't mean I dislike the creator. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful.

I just don't see the point of creating something and demanding their full worship, or else suffer punishment. I would want what I created to be happy, free and able to enjoy their life in a manner they choose; as long as what I created wasn't hurting or killing other beings.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Fred314X wrote:
(If it was me, and my creations didn't love me, I suppose I'd consider committing them to damnation, too).
Hey Fred...with a God like that, who needs enemies!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hey Fred...with a God like that, who needs enemies!
I suppose I hadn't considered the possibility that a Creator wouldn't care what his creations think, one way or the other. But if that was the case...why bother with them in the first place? It's hard to imagine being completely dispassionate about something you've just created.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
(If it was me, and my creations didn't love me, I suppose I'd consider committing them to damnation, too).
Do you have children?

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-27-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: I can't tell if your being facetious

Old 03-20-2010, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This has always puzzled me.

If God is God, does He really need us to tell Him how wonderful and powerful He is?

Doesn't He know?

What difference would our little opinions make to Him, especially since we are created in His image?

Is our gratititude of any significance to the King of Kings?

I think that by loving God, we let ourselves grow in His image and likeness. I, also, doubt that He's being an egoist. Praying, for me, is a personal struggle with the evils of the world. I'm letting myself realize and think on what is right, and giving myself strength (with Someone like that by your side, how could you not feel strong enough?) to do what is right. Sometimes figuring out what that is is hard, and talking to God can help you there, too.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,142 times
If you love God, you will focus on God. If your focus is on God, it won't be on self destructive ways, like materialism, addiction, or any other pleasures of the flesh. If you don't focus on self destructive things, you live a happier, healthier life.

We all move towards what we focus on.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
So that we wil treat each other properly.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I have not read through this thread, so forgive me for being OT. I did want to comment on June's above statement, though, because the same can be said for the believer in respect of the non-believer.

For the believer, our faith is so much a part of who we are. We know, we see, and we understand and most of all, we want to share this gift that is our reality. Just as the non-believer is perplexed by the believer, we, too, are perplexed by the non-believer. Imagine the greatest dessert that you have ever tasted (for me, it is chocolate. But not just any chocolate. Chocolate X 100)...That is our God. And it is hard for us to not understand how you could not want to taste it.
Am actually alergic to chocolate...

Which means your favorite dessert might kill me! Anyway I was just thinking about the worship thing, which is why I googled it and found this site. Why the heck would some all knowing, loving, powerful being, give a crap about us worshiping him? Isn't the ultimate gesture simply making sure you care and take care of the creations that he has given us? Wouldn't he rather have us out helping one another or the planet ever sunday as opposed to standing around in the same building? And why would he forgive you just because you asked? Granted my parents will always love me, but they raised me to be a good person, and I don't need the promise of heaven to do it. I enjoy treating living animals with respect as well as the earth. And I think that any god that was powerful enough to create all this beauty cares more about respect to others than worshiping him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality