Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

One of my more pesky, insistent and bothersome born-again Christian friends assured me the other day that our sole purpose here on earth was/is "To Gorify God, Praise Him!". And thus this is what we all should be doing, pretty much every moment of every day!

I kept my thoughts to myself.

But regardless, I got to thinking. This highly anthropomorphic and conceited idea is surely an arrogant afterthought to our existence is it not?

For literally billions of years, before man ever showed up on this planet, there existed (and still do, btw...) hundreds af millions of other species, some quite advanced, communicative and intelligent (whales, the other primates, even some corvid [crow family] birds. Did they have a conscious purpose one wonders?

To then make the absolute claim the we are the supreme species on this planet and all others are "lesser beasts" is a clear demonstration of "a posteriori" thinking, where, after the fact, we fit a pro-human conclusion to the facts at hand and then claim those pre-existing facts prove our theory (Whaaaa? Huh? Can you see The Grandé Circle of Life thinking here?).

Why must we have a God-given purpose, unless it is to justify the huge waste of time & energy that is input to the ceremonial aggrandizement of a particular God myth? What about all the other God myths, Hindu, Shinto, Wiccan, paleolithic, Islamic, Jewish, Jehovah's Witnesses, N. Am Indian animal spirits, and so on... Quite a list, in fact.

Following is an interesting website that provides about 8 pages of listed alternative Gods and their basic mythological stories and associated myths, many of which cross over and borrow or feed into the greater (and often later) Abrahamic mythology. [The cite notes that The Abrahamic/Christian God is in no way highlighted as being in any way The One True God....]

The World's Gods - Miraculous Births

I also enjoyed this short video by Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson...

Does the Universe Have a Purpose? feat. Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

Dr. Tyson is surely one of the most eloquent and logical technical speakers of our times. "Irrefutable" is a word that often comes to mind when I watch him. It's pretty hard to argue his points, but if you think you can, please address them, logically, one by one and post them on this thread.

Inquiring minds want to know, after all...

(The bottom line for me is this: if we are not of a singular Christian or Islamic or other spiritual purpose in this life or on this planet, then does Christianity [or any of the other mythologies...] exist per se? If so, why? But...perhaps we just "are"? I for one don't see why that option is so impossible. It may even be preferable!)

Enjoy the video and website!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
I'm here to be a pain in the Moderator cut: inappropriate to my grandchildren and great grandchildren.....

Last edited by june 7th; 11-29-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
From my non-Christian view:

We are here as a test and to learn. While part of that leaning to to learn how to Praise and give Thanks to God(swt) there is much more.

To avoid a long winded religious oriented post I'll condense it all and simply say:

One purpose we have is for each of us to do our best to make this world better than what we were born into.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One purpose we have is for each of us to do our best to make this world better than what we were born into.
That is my purpose and it has nothing to do with my beliefs or lack thereof. Such a goal does not in any way require theist belief in order to animate it.

The question in the OP however implies some externally given meaning, as in, "why are we MEANT to be here" or "why were we PLACED here". In reality, whatever purpose we have is self-determined and in general is informed by what makes us feel part of the human race in a positive way. Such "chosen" purpose is no less noble than some "bestowed" purpose would be. To the contrary, doing good works by choice rather than obligation is the more noble path.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM

398 posts, read 545,469 times
Why are we here?

As the late George Carlin said: "Hey....everybody's gotta be SOMEWHERE!"

FWIW.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM

75 posts, read 91,651 times
I don't really understand the point of the question.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
I would have to agree with Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, if there was a purpose and God was in charge of that purpose, then God sure has a strange way of going about this. I could think of a number of better ways, but then why wait 16 billion years to bring this forth, maybe God was on a coffee break.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Well ask yourself this question. Would we have needed all of the religions(including Christianity) today if Adam and Eve had just been obedient ?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Well ask yourself this question. Would we have needed all of the religions(including Christianity) today if Adam and Eve had just been obedient ?
Seeing how Adam and Eve are a religious concept, this becomes a mute point. No religion, no Adam and Eve.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Seeing how Adam and Eve are a religious concept, this becomes a mute point. No religion, no Adam and Eve.
No wait: you mean.... O..................M..................G!

You mean there was no fig-leafed pair that "begat" all of mankind, pre-Noah's Fludd? (But somehow, all of the different races, itself a bit of a problem to explain, with entirely variant DNA?)

You have struck me to my core! What am I to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality