Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM

20,398 posts, read 12,704,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Me, for one.....
I doubt if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,219,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I doubt if I can.
Well, if you suggest that it is "obvious" through creation that god exists (and I assume you mean your particular god), then you should be able to point out the obvious. For instance, I am looking at a rock right outside my window. In what way does that make it "obvious" that a god exists, much less the god of Abraham?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Well, if you suggest that it is "obvious" through creation that god exists (and I assume you mean your particular god), then you should be able to point out the obvious. For instance, I am looking at a rock right outside my window. In what way does that make it "obvious" that a god exists, much less the god of Abraham?
See the second paragraph of post #36.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,510,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
See the second paragraph of post #36.
I don't know why you bother to point to an answer that is no answer at all and is totally circular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
"As far as my original post, I believe God has made Himself known to all men because the Bible says so (and I believe the Bible is truly the word of God). I also believe it because it has happened to me & most people throughout history. I believe atheists are denying the obvious."
Again, your god is not obvious to me at all, and your claims are just claims.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I don't know why you bother to point to an answer that is no answer at all and is totally
It's difficult to answer that question without getting into why I believe in God, which is not the subject here. Nevertheless, those are reasons I believe God has made Himself known to all mankind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Again, your god is not obvious to me at all, and your claims are just claims.
Your opinion is noted.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,365,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
While sin is essentially a religious concept. I believe that it can entail more such as:

Sins against God(swt)

Sins against self

Sins against family

Sins against friends

Sins against community

Sins against Nation

Sins against Humanity

etc
While the term sin may encompass much more, sin, in itself only applies to the religious, as I stated before.

However, as a non-religious person I can commit a wrong against myself, family, friends, community, etc. I just would not consider them "sins" because that is specific to religion and a relationship with a god.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,350,326 times
Indeed "sin" appears to me just to be the name on a package.

As a species we have a discourse about how best to live together and we reach individual and group conclusions on what is best there. What goes against those conclusions we call "wrong" "immoral" or "evil". What goes with them we call "right" "moral" or "good".

"sin" for me in that context is just another word for "immoral" or "evil". They are saying essentially the same as we are by using that word with one slight difference: That they are indicating that their "group conclusions" on this discourse have a religious root or connection.

"Sin" to me in other words is just another word for calling an action "wrong" or "immoral" while attempting to bolster that opinion by acting like the opinion has the backing of whatever particular deity the speaker subscribes to. A form of mental masturbation where the speaker is trying to rubber stamp their own opinions with a fantasy authority they feel they themselves otherwise lack.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,754,306 times
Quote:
The thought came to me as I was reading through the threads. It seems there is a general consensus that a person with no knowledge of God(swt) can not be held accountable for disobeying what he does not know.

Just my opinion but I do not think God(swt) will hold a person responsible for not believing in him, unless the person has made a self chosen decision to avoid learning of the existence of God(swt) It seems this eliminates many atheists from punishment for what we theists see as sin.

I do not see this as getting a free ride, but I do see it as reason to think some atheists may unkowingly be closer to God(swt) than some of us theists try to be.

What is your view?
You are saying that ignorance is bliss. The only case of an excuse for ignorance is the innocence of youth. The most unforgivable of sins is to denounce God openly. Reading through these threads, I'd say there are plenty of unforgiven to be judged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Indeed "sin" appears to me just to be the name on a package.

As a species we have a discourse about how best to live together and we reach individual and group conclusions on what is best there. What goes against those conclusions we call "wrong" "immoral" or "evil". What goes with them we call "right" "moral" or "good".

"sin" for me in that context is just another word for "immoral" or "evil". They are saying essentially the same as we are by using that word with one slight difference: That they are indicating that their "group conclusions" on this discourse have a religious root or connection.

"Sin" to me in other words is just another word for calling an action "wrong" or "immoral" while attempting to bolster that opinion by acting like the opinion has the backing of whatever particular deity the speaker subscribes to. A form of mental masturbation where the speaker is trying to rubber stamp their own opinions with a fantasy authority they feel they themselves otherwise lack.
By this reasoning the Mayans, Aztecs, and any number of blood lust civilizations were not wrong to murder en masse. Civilizations can spiral into mass sin, and just because "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it any less wrong.

By your reasoning; If two people (a quorum) decide to kill someone, it's not a sin if they decide it isn't a sin. This is a convenient ignorance.

Last edited by steven_h; 12-04-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,827,209 times
Quote:
I do not see this as getting a free ride, but I do see it as reason to think some atheists may unkowingly be closer to God(swt) than some of us theists try to be.

What is your view?
An atheist cannot sin because sin does not exist, IMO

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,006,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
An atheist cannot sin because sin does not exist, IMO
The definition of Sin covers a rather wide spectrum and is not limited to theology.

sin 1 (sn)
n.
1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.
2. Theology
a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.
intr.v. sinned, sin·ning, sins
1. To violate a religious or moral law.
2. To commit an offense or violation.
[Middle English sinne, from Old English synn; see es- in Indo-European roots.]

sin1
n
1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol
a. transgression of God's known will or any principle or law regarded as embodying this
b. the condition of estrangement from God arising from such transgression See also actual sin, mortal sin, original sin, venial sin
2. any serious offence, as against a religious or moral principle
3. any offence against a principle or standard
live in sin Informal (of an unmarried couple) to live together
vb (intr) sins, sinning, sinned
1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol to commit a sin
2. (usually foll by against) to commit an offence (against a person, principle, etc.)
[Old English synn; related to Old Norse synth, Old High German suntea sin, Latin sons guilty]

SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality