Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am sure the poor Neurosurgen is desperate to make money off a book he knows may damage his reputation. I mean who can live on what they pay neurosugeons in the US?
The salary of a surgeon is not really comparable to a number 1 selling book. Not only is the latter much higher but it comes in a much much shorter space of time too. So it is not just the quantity of money but the speed at which one can earn it.

Also the man had just survived a very serious illness. His earning potential after that could be curtailed, or his desire to work anymore at all. So another income from something as easy as a book would be very welcome.

So not only are you comparing apples and oranges here, you are simply ignoring the possible motivations.

That is hardly the most important point in my post though. You conveniently cut the rest out that he IS making a lot of money from making claims that are not only not substantiated in a lot of cases, but are directly contradicted in others. This is money from lies and I can well understand how that attracts ire.

The skeptics are not "closing their ears" here as you falsely paint it. They opened their ears, listened, and found holes and direct falsehoods in what was being said. But it is easier for someone like you to pretend their ears are closed rather than accept they found those holes and errors. In essence that means it is YOU closing your ears. They read the claims, found the errors in it, and you ignored those and just pretended they never said any of it. You are the one guilty of what you falsely accuse others of. Well done.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What about things you're skeptical about? What say you don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster? Do you have a nasty disposition because deep down, you're scared that you're wrong about Nessie?
One's eternal destiny is not affected by the Loch Ness Monster. It matters not whether the LN monster exists.

However, when it comes to whether God and the supernatural exist the stakes are higher........much higher.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
One's eternal destiny is not affected by the Loch Ness Monster. It matters not whether the LN monster exists.
Tell that to convicted criminal and fraud Kent Hovind. It is important to him. He thinks discovering the Loch Ness Monster will help prove Creationism. Mainly because he thinks dinosaurs and Humans existed at the same time in the past and that therefore there must be some still alive somewhere on the planet.

So he openly says in his debates and videos that not only does Loch Ness exist but we should go look for it to prove creationism. Great stuff.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
http://www.ehow.com/info_7749064_ave...shed-book.html

Income from book selling^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The salary of a surgeon is not really comparable to a number 1 selling book. Not only is the latter much higher but it comes in a much much shorter space of time too. So it is not just the quantity of money but the speed at which one can earn it.

Also the man had just survived a very serious illness. His earning potential after that could be curtailed, or his desire to work anymore at all. So another income from something as easy as a book would be very welcome.

So not only are you comparing apples and oranges here, you are simply ignoring the possible motivations.

That is hardly the most important point in my post though. You conveniently cut the rest out that he IS making a lot of money from making claims that are not only not substantiated in a lot of cases, but are directly contradicted in others. This is money from lies and I can well understand how that attracts ire.

The skeptics are not "closing their ears" here as you falsely paint it. They opened their ears, listened, and found holes and direct falsehoods in what was being said. But it is easier for someone like you to pretend their ears are closed rather than accept they found those holes and errors. In essence that means it is YOU closing your ears. They read the claims, found the errors in it, and you ignored those and just pretended they never said any of it. You are the one guilty of what you falsely accuse others of. Well done.
It think the rub is that the guy was an atheist before he had his experience. He had his proof and now is a theist.

At worst the fellow is deluded. Being deluded does not make one a liar, it only makes one wrong.

Quote:
Tell that to convicted criminal and fraud Kent Hovind. It is important to him. He thinks discovering the Loch Ness Monster will help prove Creationism. Mainly because he thinks dinosaurs and Humans existed at the same time in the past and that therefore there must be some still alive somewhere on the planet.

So he openly says in his debates and videos that not only does Loch Ness exist but we should go look for it to prove creationism. Great stuff.
I am not sure why you made this post. What has creationism to do with one's eternal destiny? As a Christian I could care less about the LN monster and creationism.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
...snip... So another income from something as easy as a book would be very welcome.
"...as easy as a book...."

This made me laugh out loud.

I guess that's why every writer is rich.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
Perhaps you need to see your opponents as angry so you can dismiss their arguments automatically, without having to actually think about them and thus expose your faith to the possibility that it's irrational?
I don't think so. I say that because I don't have skin in this game. I'm not religious and if anything believe the skeptics could be correct, I'm just not as certain as they are. This wasn't the first time I have noticed the angry tone. It objectively exists.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Goodness! You found people with a nasty disposition on a newspaper comment thread? Crazy! Next those unpleasant people will invade youtube comments and our polite internet will be gone. Gone, I tell you!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Goodness! You found people with a nasty disposition on a newspaper comment thread? Crazy! Next those unpleasant people will invade youtube comments and our polite internet will be gone. Gone, I tell you!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The faithful often confuse open discussion of their ideas with personal attacks. Here's a prime example.
If I was afraid of discussion, I wouldn't be here in enemy territory.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

121 posts, read 106,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Selection bias. Blog posts attract trolls and people with TIFS (Total Internet F___wad Syndrome). You have to read blog comments the same way you read consumer reviews ... people with something negative to say are much more motivated to post than people with something positive to say.
I agree.
Quote:
I'm inclined to be respectful of other people's opinions if they show even the slightest modicum of respect for mine, and I am always open for new evidence, even if its contrary to my views. As are a lot of atheists. We're not all Richard Dawkins clones, not by a long shot.
Admirable and parallels my own approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'm amazed (not really but for the sake of argument) that a neurosurgeon that works wonders with his hand with his MIND would overlook the well known FACT that the mind is NOT controlled by the Brain. If certain elements of the Brain cease to function, the MIND continues to work.. sometimes elsewhere in the brain function.

The MIND is not PHYSICAL/MATERIAL but it is PROOF of the metaphysical. >> there is something (the Mind) (commonly called consciousness) that is controlling the material.. just as a mind/operator operates a machine.. something as simple as a forklift.

The real YOU.. call it the Spirit/Soul whatever is ETERNAL.
Obviously as a Spiritualist, I accept this point of view, but it is not universally believed.
Quote:
Quote:
It think the rub is that the guy was an atheist before he had his experience. He had his proof and now is a theist.
At worst the fellow is deluded. Being deluded does not make one a liar, it only makes one wrong.
This is an important point and highlights the irresponsible use of the accusation of lying. Lies are falsehoods, yes, but they are deliberate. The liar knows and believes they are false. If the person knows the supposed facts but does not believe them, he can be accused of being wrong (or deluded). He cannot be accused of lying. The monetary motivations are irrelevant to the truth or falsity, in any case. They are indirect ad hominem assaults on the character of the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality