Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM

121 posts, read 106,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Maybe. But I invite you to test how far you "can tell". I just gave you a link where the paranormal side wished one of the skeptic side dead. Not just discomfort or annoyance - but actual death. So if you want to play the "equally nasty" card here I openly invite you to link me to a post - like I just did for you - of a spiritual or paranormal person on here wishing a skeptic dead - do you see a skeptic on here returning THAT favor? Not just rudeness or obtuseness but a post like I just linked you to before where one user wished another user was actually dead.
I went to the link and this MysticPhD did almost wish those who are consistently obnoxious were dead. That is nasty. But it did seem to be worded more as a throw away line. I doubt there was any sincere wish for anyone to be dead. I could be wrong.
Quote:
Then maybe we would have an equal playing field of who is "equally nasty" with who. Otherwise I think you may have to concede the point an withdraw it.
I am not familiar enough with the forum posts to be able to know where to find any truly nasty atheist posts that would wish anything similar on theists. That would be why I said as far as I can tell. Still the general level of rancor and nastiness does seem to be an equal opportunity occurrence, though none of the posts that I have seen reach the level of death threats, not even the one you linked me to. But given my lack of evidence, I will concede that the one wishing death is probably the nastiest so far.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Imagine the same armory deployed in your own defense. Suddenly you will find it not so off putting but somewhat comforting. An intellect such as his is going to seem intimidating even to those caught in the cross fire - let alone those caught in it's sights!

See past your feelings on the matter and judge only the content. Refute THAT if you can. Many have tried.

That is an oft thrown around category. You should probably outline what you mean by it. You might find most of us agree with you. Even the "rude" and "hostile" nozz give he has defended and even identified with the term "spiritual" on many an occasion.

Maybe. But I invite you to test how far you "can tell". I just gave you a link where the paranormal side wished one of the skeptic side dead. Not just discomfort or annoyance - but actual death. So if you want to play the "equally nasty" card here I openly invite you to link me to a post - like I just did for you - of a spiritual or paranormal person on here wishing a skeptic dead - do you see a skeptic on here returning THAT favor? Not just rudeness or obtuseness but a post like I just linked you to before where one user wished another user was actually dead.

Then maybe we would have an equal playing field of who is "equally nasty" with who. Otherwise I think you may have to concede the point an withdraw it.
Like you said...he hasn't been around that long.
OTOH...I have been around for a while. So, I'll cover your bet, on his behalf.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/15408490-post400.htm

There ya go...now he doesn't "have to concede the point and withdraw it".

Personally, I love Nozzs' posts...lots of "spice" to make them interesting. Many times I have had extended debates with him just for that wonderful aspect of his offerings.
The best for true snarky wit though, was "Rafius"...by far. I miss seeing that dudes posts on here almost like he was a good buddy I lost touch with. I hope he is well and happy wherever he is.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Like you said...he hasn't been around that long.
OTOH...I have been around for a while. So, I'll cover your bet, on his behalf.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/15408490-post400.htm

Personally, I love Nozzs' posts...lots of "spice" to make them interesting. Many times I have had extended debates with him just for that wonderful aspect of his offerings.
The best for true snarky wit though, was "Rafius"...by far. I miss seeing that dudes posts on here almost like he was a good buddy I lost touch with. I hope he is well and happy wherever he is.
Thank you, GldnRule. This is an interesting forum, but the level of animosity and discord can be somewhat daunting with all the infighting and atheist/theist conflicts. Your post is a genuinely spiritual gesture of aid and is very much appreciated.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I really do think your heart is in the right place. And these fora need more like you.

I have written a few posts defending the term "spiritual" and I would actually love to hear your impression of them given the strength of your offering here. I am very anti what I call "woo" but I have a funny feeling that what you and I mean by "spiritual" might not be ALL that different as we expect.
Thank you. I would be happy to read your posts on spiritualism, if you would provide links to them. There doesn't seem to be much interest in spirituality, per se, here.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman2 View Post
Thank you. I would be happy to read your posts on spiritualism, if you would provide links to them. There doesn't seem to be much interest in spirituality, per se, here.
At any time one can click on the username of another user and select "Find all posts by....". You are more than welcome to peruse my posting history. I am very much interested in what many would call "Spiritual" but the problem is that many people mean different things using that word. I personally mean the exploration of subjective experience not generally had by the average joe soap through things like meditation and exploration of what it means to be "Human" and so forth.

Whether there is any over lap between us would be predicated entirely on what you mean by the word therefore.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman2 View Post
I went to the link and this MysticPhD did almost wish those who are consistently obnoxious were dead. That is nasty. But it did seem to be worded more as a throw away line. I doubt there was any sincere wish for anyone to be dead.
Your biases are showing. If someone sticks to their point on here you call them rude and hostile. If someone outright says he wants another posts dead - he is just being throw away and insincere. It appears you are happy to interpret everything differently once it fits into your preconceptions.

As I said I challange you to find another post that horrific. Not sure why another poster gave a link to nothing and called it an example, an odd choice, but so far I have seen nothing of the sort coming from "our" side here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why? Because you linked to nothing?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
To the original question, yes, I am an atheist and can be guilty of being sarcastic in my approach. That can come off as rude and I agree with you on that.
I can't speak for every atheist because it isn't a religion, just many different people who only have a non belief in a God in common. We have no rules so you just get the individual. But, for me I get really exhausted worrying about believers and what their will to take over the countries moral well being is year to year. So, in the end I guess I'm guilty of showing my exhaust in sarcasm. I won't deny it, my post are probably some of the most deleted on here.

I try to keep in mind that you believe you are right, that your God is the one and only, and that it's your job to clean me up as I am part of society. But, from my end, it's exhausting. So, sorry to all of you I've come off rude to, I think looking over my shoulder has given thee a headache. I get jealous and long for a country where being a Christian isn't a pre requisite for living. If I could relocate I might just do that.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
At any time one can click on the username of another user and select "Find all posts by....". You are more than welcome to peruse my posting history. I am very much interested in what many would call "Spiritual" but the problem is that many people mean different things using that word. I personally mean the exploration of subjective experience not generally had by the average joe soap through things like meditation and exploration of what it means to be "Human" and so forth.
Whether there is any over lap between us would be predicated entirely on what you mean by the word therefore.
You have almost 3,000 posts, Sir. That would not be an insignificant undertaking. I am not an internet savvy person. Using your definition here I would say we are very similar in our approach to Spirituality. I am fairly sure you are more knowledgeable than I about many things and my path would be enhanced by your input to my practice.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Your biases are showing. If someone sticks to their point on here you call them rude and hostile. If someone outright says he wants another posts dead - he is just being throw away and insincere. It appears you are happy to interpret everything differently once it fits into your preconceptions.
I'm sorry. What preconceptions or biases? I admit to being a Spiritualist and I would tend to offer the benefit of the doubt to the motives of a fellow Spiritualist (which I assume from the screen name MysticPhD would be.) Very few of the Spiritualists I know harbor such dark and negative motivations.
Quote:
As I said I challange you to find another post that horrific. Not sure why another poster gave a link to nothing and called it an example, an odd choice, but so far I have seen nothing of the sort coming from "our" side here.
Actually GldnRule did find one by a Sanpeur (I think), but it has mysteriously disappeared or been blocked. I cannot explain how I could see it yesterday and now it is gone. But it was indeed even more specific in its desire for the death of a theist named Campbell something. Do you (generic) have the ability to block posts?

Last edited by Ironman2; 12-04-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No.

The point is: you made an assumption about me based on "facts" you pulled out of your butt.
I didn't read it that way.
Perhaps you're taking it too personally. He was very specific about being a No. 1 bestseller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality