Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Killing some how equal righteousness?
If you're asking about life and death earned

"He has set fire and water before you;
put out your hand to whichever you prefer.
Man has life and death before him;
whichever a man likes better will be given him.
For vast is the wisdom of the Lord;
he is almighty and all-seeing.
His eyes are on those who fear him,
he notes every action of man.
He never commanded anyone to be godless,
he has given no one permission to sin." Ecc 15:16-21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
life and death earned since you sired your children?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Well, fortunately, much to the chagrin of Vizio and his religious nut friends,
1. Please stop with the personal attacks. That isn't cool and makes you look bad. I've never attacked you or anyone else here personally.

2. I don't want want legislation to enforce my religion. So please stop lying about me. It's annoying when liars spew stuff about us that isn't true.
[/quote]

Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
In 1 Samuel 15:3, God commands:
Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

Kill the nursing child? Now that's depraved. But kill the donkey, too? Not that it's worse than killing an infant, but... God's so upset that even slaughtering the babes isn't enough to slake his blood-lust, he wants the donkey killed, too? Someone needs a chill-pill!
Still waiting for the "bashing their heads in" command.
Quote:

The fictional lunatic of the Old Testament makes Darth Vader look like an amateur in comparison...

Of course, I'm sure we'll soon receive the 'context' that makes specifically targetting nursing babes for slaughter acceptable. Or the 'proper' translation.

[The scary thing is, when you're delusional enough to define moral as whatever that book says God approves of... well, that's from where much of the slaughter of history emanates]
Once again....what OBJECTIVE STANDARD OF MORALITY do you have? How do you have the right to declare that to be wrong? The best you can do is that you don't like it, or don't think it's good. But someone else might disagree. What do you have to say your opinion is any better than anyone else's?

We are posting on a message board. We have to live by the rules of the people running these boards. That's called "authority". These are their boards, their rules. They are in charge. Likewise, this earth was made by God--he defined the rules. The people living here are all equal....none of us has the power to define morality.

Now again, I ask you...what level of objective authority do you claim to have to tell you that anything God does is wrong?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Still waiting for the "bashing their heads in" command.

Once again....what OBJECTIVE STANDARD OF MORALITY do you have? How do you have the right to declare that to be wrong? The best you can do is that you don't like it, or don't think it's good. But someone else might disagree. What do you have to say your opinion is any better than anyone else's?

We are posting on a message board. We have to live by the rules of the people running these boards. That's called "authority". These are their boards, their rules. They are in charge. Likewise, this earth was made by God--he defined the rules. The people living here are all equal....none of us has the power to define morality.

Now again, I ask you...what level of objective authority do you claim to have to tell you that anything God does is wrong?
Should this message board have no rules, then? After all, what gives the creators and maintainers the authority to set such rules? How could they possibly tell what the rules should be, being that they are incapable of deciding on rules without divine interference? Are they just flying in the dark? Do you disagree with the rules of this board and if so, why do you post here?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
In 1 Samuel 15:3, God commands:
Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

Kill the nursing child? Now that's depraved. But kill the donkey, too? Not that it's worse than killing an infant, but... God's so upset that even slaughtering the babes isn't enough to slake his blood-lust, he wants the donkey killed, too? Someone needs a chill-pill!

The fictional lunatic of the Old Testament makes Darth Vader look like an amateur in comparison...

Of course, I'm sure we'll soon receive the 'context' that makes specifically targetting nursing babes for slaughter acceptable. Or the 'proper' translation.

[The scary thing is, when you're delusional enough to define moral as whatever that book says God approves of... well, that's from where much of the slaughter of history emanates]

If you were God and sat back and had to watch the evil Amalekites burn their children alive in a fire sacrifice for years, you would want to wipe them out too. These people were so scummy that they would attack from behind in the Exodus taking out the eldery and weak who were at the back of the line. They attacked God's people for many decades and made women childless.

So yea, I think God was quite justified in wiping out Israel's enemies.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
If you were God and sat back and had to watch the evil Amalekites burn their children alive in a fire sacrifice for years, you would want to wipe them out too. These people were so scummy that they would attack from behind in the Exodus taking out the eldery and weak who were at the back of the line. They attacked God's people for many decades and made women childless.

So yea, I think God was quite justified in wiping out Israel's enemies.
Why kill all possible victims? Would you also support killing all Ethiopian children, since many will die from starvation anyway, relieving them from their suffering. The more reasonable and moral alternative, would be to kill only those who would commit these atrocities.But I suspect you knew this but only wanted to find some excuse to justify your god's actions.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Why kill all possible victims? Would you also support killing all Ethiopian children, since many will die from starvation anyway, relieving them from their suffering. The more reasonable and moral alternative, would be to kill only those who would commit these atrocities.But I suspect you knew this but only wanted to find some excuse to justify your god's actions.

These people were evil from generation to generation. There's nothing to suggest that they were capable of changing their ways. Why would you NOT want to wipe them out completely? Spare any survivors, and they will just grow back into a force to kill future generations of Israelites.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
These people were evil from generation to generation. There's nothing to suggest that they were capable of changing their ways. Why would you NOT want to wipe them out completely? Spare any survivors, and they will just grow back into a force to kill future generations of Israelites.
Its called education and/or reprogramming . Of course, we know that people who participate in convoluted religious rituals are difficult to reprogram. But, it has been done, I'm evidence.
I guess the virgins provided no danger for these rituals to continue, thus the reason God gave them to the soldiers.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Should this message board have no rules, then? After all, what gives the creators and maintainers the authority to set such rules? How could they possibly tell what the rules should be, being that they are incapable of deciding on rules without divine interference? Are they just flying in the dark? Do you disagree with the rules of this board and if so, why do you post here?
They make the rules in their domain. They are above the average user. They get to decide what goes on here because they own it.

What do you have that you can appeal to for your standard of morality? Your own opinion? That isn't enough...as everyone else has an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality