Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times

Advertisements

Faith based morality is based on nothing more than blabbering quackery. It is is in no way based on the power of thinking. It is, in fact, based on the complete opposite. Revelation is just uncritically following whatever mumbo jumbo x authority figure is spouting. It's not about being able to discern the difference between right and wrong, it's about mindlessly obeying whatever someone else says you should do. The thinkers don't need a book to tell them the difference between right and wrong. They know it because they haven't thrown away their ability to think and reason. The moral lawgiver argument is really just saying someone should turn off their ability to think and replace it with mental slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Faith based morality is based on nothing more than blabbering quackery. It is is in no way based on the power of thinking. It is, in fact, based on the complete opposite. Revelation is just uncritically following whatever mumbo jumbo x authority figure is spouting. It's not about being able to discern the difference between right and wrong, it's about mindlessly obeying whatever someone else says you should do. The thinkers don't need a book to tell them the difference between right and wrong. They know it because they haven't thrown away their ability to think and reason. The moral lawgiver argument is really just saying someone should turn off their ability to think and replace it with mental slavery.

Estimated 259,432,000 human deaths occuring under atheistic regimes, much more than religious countries.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Good luck with that.

Actually, I have a wonderfully intimate relationship with my wife. Our dalliances only enhance that.
I'm not buying it. I guess your wife doesn't care if you bring home a STD either.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
I'm not buying it. I guess your wife doesn't care if you bring home a STD either.
I don't care if you're buying it, facts are facts. STD's are a risk, but they're much rarer than you've been led to believe, and are even more rare in our community than the general public. Oh, and she is there with me, not waiting at home for me to "bring" anything.

People like us are MUCH more common than you can even imagine. I guarantee you know more than a handful, assuming you have a normal social circle.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Estimated 259,432,000 human deaths occuring under atheistic regimes, much more than religious countries.
If you need gawd to tell you the difference between right and wrong, so be it, but I feel sorry for you. As for me, I can figure it out all on my own.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
If you need gawd to tell you the difference between right and wrong, so be it, but I feel sorry for you. As for me, I can figure it out all on my own.
As we've said before, the alternative is to go by the whim of whomever is in charge, or whatever society is given to at the moment.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As we've said before, the alternative is to go by the whim of whomever is in charge, or whatever society is given to at the moment.
No, it's not.

99.9% of moral dilemmas can be successfully resolved by applying the golden rule, and the reverse golden rule. The remain 0.1% are generally self-evident.

I defy you to find something that won't work for.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
You're confusing atheism with political regimes. There's a difference. Most atheists don't follow violent ideologies. Also, if you're going to make this sort of claim, then it follows that Nazism is indicative of theistic morality. Nazism is a religious ideology, despite what many believers like to tell themselves. Therefore, following your line of reasoning, it is the example of what theistic morality would inevitably lead to.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 PM

258 posts, read 207,473 times
Quote:
Where did you get these numbers?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Has it been firmly established yet that morality can be a Platonic reality? A sort of math of fairness. Sure, maybe the Divas have their own forms of morality which they wish to uphold...later... through supernatural afterthoughts. But their wishes and needs are just extra on top of our own. I think we know right from wrong well enough to regulate it with police and government IN THE PRESENT, instead of waiting for the esoteric cheerleaders in the sky to do it for us... later... through supernatural afterthoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality