Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
The sun doesn't rise. The earth rotates/revolves. In any event, barring a supernova that wiped out the solar system, or an asteroid that changed the earth's rotation, you can conclude with almost absolute certainty that the Earth will move in the same fashion for at least the next billon years. Reducing the definition of faith to the expectation that things will occur as science predicts they will occur removes it from all meaning. Faith involves accepting something with no rational evidence to back it up based upon a wish/hope/indoctrination.
The point is that your quote from Mark Twain just 'ain't true'.

That is if the faith that I have in that 'Submit Reply' button isn't going to fail me.

Whew, it didn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Whew, it didn't!
You must have had alot of faith to type "whew, it didn't" before pressing the button, LOL!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
You must have had alot of faith to type "whew, it didn't" before pressing the button, LOL!
The object of my faith (the 'submit reply' button in this case) has rarely failed me.

So, while I didn't know with absolute certainty that it wouldn't fail me, I could type that with a level of confidence prior to hitting the button.

God has never failed me and so I can also trust my faith in him with even more absolute certainty and an extreme level of confidence.

And the action of 'hitting the button' gets easier and easier the more I see the reliability of it, if ya know what I mean. (And I know you (cg81), do know what I mean)

Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
The object of my faith (the 'submit reply' button in this case) has rarely failed me.

So, while I didn't know with absolute certainty that it wouldn't fail me, I could type that with a level of confidence prior to hitting the button.

God has never failed me and so I can also trust my faith in him with even more absolute certainty and an extreme level of confidence.

And the action of 'hitting the button' gets easier and easier the more I see the reliability of it, if ya know what I mean. (And I know you (cg81), do know what I mean)
The submit button HAS failed me! Remember my post to kawg which posted 7 times??? But God has not and will not fail!

Of course, maybe the submit button didn't fail me, but actually came through beyond my wildest expectations! LOL!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Yes, alpha, God has proved Himself to me also....And kaykay, it is sometimes beyond our wildest expectations!!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by cg81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D
Quote:
In this case you do not believe, but you KNOW. For example: I do not believe a circle is round, I know that a circle is round.
Exactly
So do you know God? Or do you only believe that you know God?

I know that God = Love but I do not believe that love = God (at least not the biblical God).

Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I know that God = Love but I do not believe that love = God (at least not the biblical God).
There's something we can agree on, Tricky D.

God is love but love, most definitely, is not God.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So do you know God? Or do you only believe that you know God?
Because I believed God, I have truly come to know Him.

Quote:
I agree. Love is of God, for God is love.. God is also just, true, holy, all-knowing.... I AM.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:
God is love but love, most definitely, is not God.
True, but I can still see Love or God as a non-deity which most Christians can't.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
True, but I can still see Love or God as a non-deity which most Christians can't.
Well, I have a hard time seeing how anyone can see 'God' as a non-deity. I'm also betting more than one atheist might have a hard time grasping that.

Can you explain that? I'm truly curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality